Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 82158 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Adam Silver has to get this under control. He has a regular season that is pointless and now a playoffs that is pointless.

I don't think there's any problem.  Adam Silver and the NBAPA already have it under control with rules in place that will cause GSW to be paying so much in tax soon they will have to break it all up.  Every fan wants free agents to sign with their team for a discount for a chance to win and has every right to.  GSW is not exempt from that right.

No team is unbeatable.  Don't forget about the 2004 Lakers team that added two hall of famers in free agency after winning 3 of the last 4 titles.  1996 Rockets added Charles Barkley after having won 2 of the last 3 titles and never saw another Finals.  Miami Heat were defeated twice in a four-year span.  Lots of these "super teams" look a lot more unbeatable at first than they end up being.

Cousins best attribute is his scoring.  If his shot attempts have to come by taking some away from Curry, Klay, and Durant, then that is not necessarily going to make their offense any more efficient.  I'm not even positive that Cousins is a great fit for GSW.

It gives the Warriors a low post threat, something they haven't had even thought they're winning all this time.

That's scary. How do you defend the Warriors now when they can throw it in to Boogie and let him do work, and if you double, KD, Klay and Steph are waiting.

You let Boogie go ahead and do work and don't double.  What is more efficient -- Boogie post up possessions or any other possession GSW normally runs?  Yeah, Boogie post ups are always a threat, but they are no more threatening or scary than what GSW would normally get.  I'd argue less threatening.  Post ups will zap the energy out of their offense too.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Adam Silver has to get this under control. He has a regular season that is pointless and now a playoffs that is pointless.

I don't think there's any problem.  Adam Silver and the NBAPA already have it under control with rules in place that will cause GSW to be paying so much in tax soon they will have to break it all up.  Every fan wants free agents to sign with their team for a discount for a chance to win and has every right to.  GSW is not exempt from that right.

No team is unbeatable.  Don't forget about the 2004 Lakers team that added two hall of famers in free agency after winning 3 of the last 4 titles.  1996 Rockets added Charles Barkley after having won 2 of the last 3 titles and never saw another Finals.  Miami Heat were defeated twice in a four-year span.  Lots of these "super teams" look a lot more unbeatable at first than they end up being.

Cousins best attribute is his scoring.  If his shot attempts have to come by taking some away from Curry, Klay, and Durant, then that is not necessarily going to make their offense any more efficient.  I'm not even positive that Cousins is a great fit for GSW.

It gives the Warriors a low post threat, something they haven't had even thought they're winning all this time.

That's scary. How do you defend the Warriors now when they can throw it in to Boogie and let him do work, and if you double, KD, Klay and Steph are waiting.

Do you think that they'd start Bell and opt to bring Cousins along, slowly, as their 6th man instead of starting DMC from the beginning?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:51:18 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Derrick Favors got 2 years, $36 million.

That seems like a lot for a power forward who's just OK.
Pretty close to Tristan Thompson money.

Sure, but this year few teams have a lot of free agent money, especially for bigs with limited permimeter abilities. Also, Utah isn’t the Cavs, splurging to make LeBron happy. I guess it’s a good thing the deal is short.

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You let Boogie go ahead and do work and don't double.  What is more efficient -- Boogie post up possessions or any other possession GSW normally runs?  Yeah, Boogie post ups are always a threat, but they are no more threatening or scary than what GSW would normally get.  I'd argue less threatening.  Post ups will zap the energy out of their offense too.

Having it as an option is bad? Was it bad when we were abuaing the Bucks with Horford Post-ups? Fyi Cousins can space the floor. He can play pnr.

Basketball-wise he is a great fit. The only real concern is well, if he can regain his form.

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Let’s keep conversation to other threads and actual signings to this thread.

« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2018, 10:04:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2018, 01:01:29 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
Follow Follow @ShamsCharania
More
Sources: Free agent Avery Bradley has agreed to a 2 year, $25M deal with the Clippers.

« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If GSW go undefeated in the regular season (or lose 5 games or less), then sweep 16 in the playoffs, then Adam Silver has a problem.  You can't deny that.

« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
More
Sources: Free agent Avery Bradley has agreed to a 2 year, $25M deal with the Clippers.

Good for him! Not the money I expected him to get when we traded him, but still a very good deal for him (and the possibility of a bigger paycheck later)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Do you think that they'd start Bell and opt to bring Cousins along, slowly, as their 6th man instead of starting DMC from the beginning?

They'll have to start someone else at the beginning of the season. Boogie won't be ready to go day 1
I'm bitter.

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Let’s keep conversation to other threads and actual signings to this thread.

« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
More

Good for him! Not the money I expected him to get when we traded him, but still a very good deal for him (and the possibility of a bigger paycheck later)

That's got to set the market for Smart, right? There's no way Smart gets significantly more than Bradley.

« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
More

That's got to set the market for Smart, right? There's no way Smart gets significantly more than Bradley.

Good point.  I wouldn't expect Smart to get any more at all than Bradley unless a team offers it just to screw the Celtics.  Every team needs a shooter who can defend like Bradley, not every team can play Smart if they already have guards who can't shoot.  I'm starting to think $40mil/4yrs is about the right price.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
4yrs 32 mill  is about right for Smart  lets not over pay or out bid ourselves

« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas