Author Topic: KG  (Read 5229 times)

Re: KG
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
KG's offensive game has definitely been off in the first 10 games.  He's picked it up a bit over the last week, but he's still not at optimal level.

Re: post vs. jumper.  It's nothing new for him to shoot more jumpers than shots on the block, so I don't know why that was a newsworthy point for JVG.  Besides, it's effective.  KG shot 54% from the field last season (a mark many "post" players would be proud of), and once his shot straightens up he'll be back well over 50% again this year.  So I think this is a non-issue.

On the other hand, KG isn't handling the ball as an initiator for the Cs nearly as much as he used to.  When he touches it, it's pretty much as a finisher now.  I think that's by design, though, as the Cs offense seems predicated on letting Pierce and Rondo be the initiators with KG and Ray as the finishers.  The offense seemed to evolve more and more in that direction as last year went along, so I don't really expect KG's assist numbers to get back up to where they used to be.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
In all fairness to KG it looks like at times  he is working on  extending his range.What better way to do it is in these early season games.I notice he will eventually go to his regular range 17 to 18ft but i see him going closer to the 3pt line early in games.What is wrong with that if he is trying to extend it.We definitely could use another outside weapon come playoff time.(imo)   

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 12:06:14 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
JVG and Jackson are excellent analysts, and they were spot on last night about our bench - not as talented, and not deep enough.

KG's softness - illustrated for me by that one fourth quarter snippet when he had an unmolested 15-foot route to the hole for the flush, settled for a jumper and missed it - is a legitimate criticism.

I am not saying JVG isnt an accurate analyst much of the time. I am saying that KG has never been an inside banger offensively and he (JVG) of all people should know that. He cannot be serious in implying that the Celtics will lose or are less effective offensively because KG does not change his style of play. This like saying we will lose because Rondo isnt a good 3pt shooter. It is up to the coaches, players and team to maximize a players strengths and that is what we usually do with all our players.

To someone who doesn't watch him play every night, KG's offensive play can be infuriating. When he makes an effort to score in the paint, it seems like those baby hooks fall for him 75-90% of the time (just a guess). Yet, most of the time, he doesn't go inside. But as we on CelticsBlog know, this is who KG is, and who he'll always be.

I'll admit that KG's offensive play sometimes makes me momentarily mad. You know, when he's a foot away from the hoop and he looks as if he could easily slam the ball home, and then he misses a layup off the back board. Or, when he's guarded by a much smaller man and he looks as if he could easily back him down into the paint for a jump hook, but instead he shoots a fade away. Then, as I'm sure all of you have, I've reminded myself that I can't get mad at KG for these plays, because they're not going to go away.

The one thing I don't get, though, is what KG's defense has to do with shooting jumpers. People often use his effort on defense as an excuse for why he plays the way he does on offense. Does backing a guy down and shooting a jump hook take that much more energy than a shimmy shake and a fade away?

That all being said, I'm fine with the way KG plays, as it clearly works.

On a separate note, I say lay off of Van Gundy. He may be wrong on this particular point, however he definitely isn't a Celitc hater or a KG hater. Last year in the finals him and Jackson were ALL OVER the Lakers, and very pro-Celtics. They were constantly pointing out the big difference between the two teams: Effort and Defense. Van Gundy and Jackson are a refreshing contrast to the local broadcast team. After watching them throughout last year's playoff and into this season, I don't think that JVG says things just to say them. He's funny, but that doesn't mean he has no substance.
I do not believe JVG is a Celtic Hater or an anyone hater. I do believe he was wrong in what he said about KG. I disagree with the notion that he has that 'because he is a certain height, he should be a certain type of player' in regards to KG not spending the majority of his time on the low block offensively. It simply isnt his game and never has been since he came into the league. Why would anyone waste time criticizing him for it now? Clearly that is what JVG was doing during the Nuggets game. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 12:26:38 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Garnett shot selection, % of jump-shots:

06/07 - 77%
07/08 - 73%
08/09 - 79%

Garnett was never a low post player. I doubt that these differences, not even 1 shot per game, are detectable by naked eye. JVG suggestion is bizarre, if teams don't double Garnett he'll score at a very high rate. They generally double him off Rondo, so it's not a big deal. Anyway, this point is moot: without Posey, and with Rondo, Tony Allen, Perkins and Powe getting most of his minutes, Garnett has to play more time far away from the paint. Teams already put us in trouble by crowding the lane, add KG and his defender to the crowd and the court would be really small for us on the offensive end.
We do tend to get into trouble when we become an exclusively jump shooting team. The reason for opening up the floor is so guys like Pierce, Ray, Rondo and Tony Allen can drive inside to create better opportunities offensively. When KG takes his man out of the paint and any wing or PG is used to double him, someone better be cutting toward the hoop.

I miss Posey as much as anyone, but I dont see how he is relevant to KG's game in regard to shooting post up jumpers instead of playing the low block on offense. Lining the perimeter with Posey, Ray, Paul and so forth doesnt make KG anymore effective offensively.

I think JVG was tryin to make some kinda half baked remark saying we have no low post game because KG doesnt play down there and he prefers to take low percentage shots on the perimeter. 8)

There are lots of reasons, keeping it short:
- when JP was playing the 4, he was another perimeter player, therefor we didn't need KG to stretch the floor. We frequently used an initial 4out1in set, or plays where Rondo would cut through the lane, playing as the de facto 5 on the weakside, allowing KG to play down low on the strongside, etc. This is taken away when you have Powe or Perkins playing.
- JP is a great entry post passer, he was generally the first option when he was on the floor and we're struggling to make the entry post pass to KG now.
- he was a good screener, that could set the pick and pop to the outside, now our only big who can do that is KG.
Like I said, JP minutes are being shared by players who don't spread the offense. Therefore, there's more need to use KG in that role.

JVG doesn't like KG a lot. It was notorious last season, even before the play-offs finals. I don't know if they had some feud in the past, but Garnett is surely not his favourite player.

With that said, he's a great analyst and commentator, and I have a great time listening to him. Witty, funny, knowledgeable, he has it all. I only hope no team offers him a contract, because he really makes games more enjoyable to watch.

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
- when JP was playing the 4, he was another perimeter player, therefor we didn't need KG to stretch the floor. We frequently used an initial 4out1in set, or plays where Rondo would cut through the lane, playing as the de facto 5 on the weakside, allowing KG to play down low on the strongside, etc. This is taken away when you have Powe or Perkins playing.
- JP is a great entry post passer, he was generally the first option when he was on the floor and we're struggling to make the entry post pass to KG now.
- he was a good screener, that could set the pick and pop to the outside, now our only big who can do that is KG.
Like I said, JP minutes are being shared by players who don't spread the offense. Therefore, there's more need to use KG in that role.

JVG doesn't like KG a lot. It was notorious last season, even before the play-offs finals. I don't know if they had some feud in the past, but Garnett is surely not his favourite player.

With that said, he's a great analyst and commentator, and I have a great time listening to him. Witty, funny, knowledgeable, he has it all. I only hope no team offers him a contract, because he really makes games more enjoyable to watch.

All true, my point was that JVG acts like KG should change his game into something it is not, namely a low block post game. That is not what KG is and never has been. He still managed to be an perrenial all star and an All NBA defensive player in spite of JVG's opinion about his offensive game. (I agree that the team had more or different options offensively with Posey) That KG didnt play more in the low post had nothing to do with why the Celtics lost the Denver game. That is why I dont equate any of what happened in the Nuggets game with not having Posey still a Celtic. 8) 
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

All true, my point was that JVG acts like KG should change his game into something it is not, namely a low block post game. That is not what KG is and never has been. He still managed to be an perrenial all star and an All NBA defensive player in spite of JVG's opinion about his offensive game. (I agree that the team had more or different options offensively with Posey) That KG didnt play more in the low post had nothing to do with why the Celtics lost the Denver game. That is why I dont equate any of what happened in the Nuggets game with not having Posey still a Celtic. 8) 

Ah, okay. I didn't equate it either, just saying that this season it's actually a good thing that KG is more perimeter oriented, it fits well with the needs of the team. Yeah, KG never as a low post player, JVG just likes to bash him.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 01:44:25 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I like KG's game just the way it is.