Author Topic: What to do with such a guard centered daft?  (Read 16022 times)

Re: What to do with such a guard centered daft?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
How many true superstars are there in this league? Fifteen?

They are just so hard to get...

When you have a shot at landing one you do whatever it takes to get them, position is irrelevant.

If you think a guy in the draft will be the next D-wade, CP3, Steph Curry, or Klay Thompson, you grab that guy no matter what. Top-10 players win championships in this league. We have the flexibility and talent to make trades later on to balance the roster.

Getting that first crown jewel is by far the most important objective, it will open up so many more strategies of turning us into a contender.

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I can very easily. If he would have fallen all the way to 15 last year some team would have laughed all the way to the bank. I was actually hoping teams infront of the Cs would have been so stupid.
The guy will be in the 6 - 10 range this year. People will get caught up in the pure size of some players or the jumping ability of others but I can say this, Rabb is very skilled and a good rebounder.

My questions with him are as follows:
1. Home much stronger and bigger can he get? Has somewhat narrow shoulders.
2. Last year his jumper was flat. Can he fix that problem?

I dont think he has the potential as Smith, Fultz, Giles (healthy), Jackson, Tatum and Markennen. That's a short list. I cant speak for some of the other players that draftexpress has in the top 10 because I havent seen them enough but I do know he is just a cut below the players I mentioned above.

I think the Cs are actually in a pretty good position as long as they dont fall in that 5 - 6 range. I say this because this is where I think the more pure point guards will actually fall in this draft. I would certainly be fine with taking Ivan Rabb in this range but if there are more dynamic talents then it could posse a few problems.

I think the top 4 could be Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Giles (if they knees are relatively sound). I can see Smith being in this range. If Smith does not crack the top 4 then the choices will be Rabb, Ball, and Smith. As I stated earlier I really like Rabb but I dont want to be put in a position where he is the only choice. Wait I forgot about the kid from Arizona.

Lastly, looking at this current team, while we lack quality bigs that can rebound, I think we also lack height on the wings so taking Jackson or Tatum if given the chance would not bother me .
Rabb pulled out of the last draft because he was being projected in the 10-15 range.  I can't see him going higher in what is supposed to be a much deeper draft.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well if we move on from either Jerebko, Olynyk, or both I'd like to throw an early shout out to Arizona big man by way of Finland Lauri Markkanen. 7 feet tall, can score from all over the court, excellent free throw shooter. I'm predicting a top 6 selection for Markkanan and IMO would be a nice fit next to Horford.

He's been strong so far at Arizona and was a dominant force at the FIBA U20 Championship.

Over three games so far this season, the Finnish 7-footer is averaging 20.3 points, shooting 59.4 percent from the field while making 5 of 11 three-pointers and 18 of 19 free throws.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/markkanen-becoming-arizona-wildcats-go-to-player/article_dbf4d3f1-2431-55bc-ae9c-545f6681dbba.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

Markkanen only played 26.5 minutes a game yet still led the entire tournament in scoring, with averages of 24.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.0 assist, 2.3 steals, and 1.3 blocks per game. To give you an idea of how dominant his performance was, that's a line of 37.6/13.0/1.5/3.5/2.0 per 40 minutes. Even more impressively, Markkanen scored over a third of his team's points in relatively limited minutes while only averaging 1.9 turnovers per game and posting shooting splits of 54.9/39.4/83.3 from 2/3/FT. Markkanen was Finland's clear best talent and offensive focal point and still managed to have a ridiculously efficient 62.7% true shooting percentage.
http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-basketball/2016/7/28/12306254/lauri-markkanen-scouting-report-arizona-basketball-recruiting?client=ms-android-verizon

https://youtu.be/fAJ3ltmUWFU

Holy moly. What is that thing? That dude is seven feet?!?!?!

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).   I casually skimmed a few draft articles recently that claimed there are as many as 5 guys on the same prospect level as Ben Simmons coming in 2017... and several others who would be better than all the guys taken 3-8 in 2016.

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 05:47:26 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).

no one can confirm that, especially considering that the 2017 draft hasn't happened yet.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).   I casually skimmed a few draft articles recently that claimed there are as many as 5 guys on the same prospect level as Ben Simmons coming in 2017... and several others who would be better than all the guys taken 3-8 in 2016.

You should write an article about it.

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trade Smart now.  Rozier can take his minutes.

You seem to be the one that is less optimistic about Smart than others on this blog. In your eyes, what would be a fair return for a guy that was picked #6 overall and has played 139 games?
Nobody respects Marcus Smart more than I do.   I don't think you could get near equal return for Thomas (since nobody is giving up an all-star for a 5'9 All-star).  I don't think you could get near equal return for Rozier (sample size too small... nobody is giving up anything tangible for him).   Smart's gotten enough minutes for teams to know what he's capable of.  He's also young enough that someone might gamble on his future.  It's hard to say what his return would be, though, because I don't think there's a huge market in this league for defensive role players at the PG/SG position.  It's such a guard-heavy league and all we keep reading about is how small ball/pace-and-space offenses favor guards who can penetrate and shoot.  In a way, Marcus Smart is more "obsolete" to the modern NBA game than people claim Okafor is.   Find a team that is struggling for quality guard play that would settle for one that sucks at offense.  It's hard to think of many trade partners that make sense.   Marcus Smart makes less sense to the modern NBA than Rajon Rondo... at least Rondo's distribution skills are undeniable.  It'd be a struggle to find a team that wants him.  My guess is it would be a team that already has elite-offense, elite shooting, and doesn't mind having an offensive liability purely impacting the game with his strong (but not quite All-Defense) defense and clutch plays.   Smart's likely the one who can be packaged with draft picks to get back some big man help.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
can someone confirm that Jaylen Brown would go no higher than 11th in the 2017 draft?  I've read that it's very strong up top... unlike the 2016 draft that was apparently terrible other than Ben Simmons (and the Brandon Ingram project).

no one can confirm that, especially considering that the 2017 draft hasn't happened yet.
Obviously no one can confirm that but it is hard to see Brown going in the top 10 of the 2017 draft.  He might have ended up the 5th or 6th SF selected. 

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The top 10 prospects by draftexpress breaks down like this:

1   Markelle Fultz  PG
 2   Dennis Smith  PG
 3   Jayson Tatum  SF
 4   Josh Jackson  SF
 5   Harry Giles  PF
 6   Frank Ntilikina  PG
 7   Jonathan Isaac  SF
 8   Lauri Markkanen  PF
 9   OG Anunoby  SF
 10   Ivan Rabb  PF

That's 3 point guards, 4 small forwards, and 3 power forwards.

Doesn't seem that out of balance.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/list/
The last few years I've beaten draftexpress and nbadraft.net. I'm sticking with my top picks for this draft because I bet on here that I could nail it again. I'm pretty confident and these picks were made over a year ago and Smith was my guy since he was a soph in hs.

Dennis Smith Jr
Thomas Bryant- most realistic Joel Embiid comparison in the draft
Bam Bam

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

You seem to be the one that is less optimistic about Smart than others on this blog. In your eyes, what would be a fair return for a guy that was picked #6 overall and has played 139 games?
Nobody respects Marcus Smart more than I do.   I don't think you could get near equal return for Thomas (since nobody is giving up an all-star for a 5'9 All-star).  I don't think you could get near equal return for Rozier (sample size too small... nobody is giving up anything tangible for him).   Smart's gotten enough minutes for teams to know what he's capable of.  He's also young enough that someone might gamble on his future.  It's hard to say what his return would be, though, because I don't think there's a huge market in this league for defensive role players at the PG/SG position.  It's such a guard-heavy league and all we keep reading about is how small ball/pace-and-space offenses favor guards who can penetrate and shoot.  In a way, Marcus Smart is more "obsolete" to the modern NBA game than people claim Okafor is.   Find a team that is struggling for quality guard play that would settle for one that sucks at offense.  It's hard to think of many trade partners that make sense.   Marcus Smart makes less sense to the modern NBA than Rajon Rondo... at least Rondo's distribution skills are undeniable.  It'd be a struggle to find a team that wants him.  My guess is it would be a team that already has elite-offense, elite shooting, and doesn't mind having an offensive liability purely impacting the game with his strong (but not quite All-Defense) defense and clutch plays.   Smart's likely the one who can be packaged with draft picks to get back some big man help.
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 06:07:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Obviously no one can confirm that but it is hard to see Brown going in the top 10 of the 2017 draft.  He might have ended up the 5th or 6th SF selected.

That's honestly really debatable. This time last year, people were calling Labissiere the surefire #2 pick. He went 28th. Let's wait and see how the college season goes.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Nobody has any idea yet. The drafts are always amazing this time of year for the following year. "Next year is loaded!"

BTW did you realize using your favorite stat of per 36 Brown is averaging 14 points, 5 rebounds 1.5 steals and just 1.7 turnovers on 45% shooting with 33% from 3? Guy is a stud!

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That's honestly really debatable. This time last year, people were calling Labissiere the surefire #2 pick. He went 28th. Let's wait and see how the college season goes.

pretty great point. TP

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I don't see a big market for Smart either but that makes him less tradable and more likely to be re-signed on a reasonable contract.  He's more valuable to us than probably any other team in the league.  I expect we'll lose either Thomas or Bradley in free agency. 

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Anyone who saw Skal play early last season wouldn't have called him a surefire #2 pick.  He wasn't college ready let alone NBA ready.  The question was how much would he develop over the season and it turned out the answer was not much. 

It is obviously early but this season the hyped freshman, who aren't injured, are mostly showing why they are being hyped.  I'm quite impressed with what I've seen of this draft class so far.  I think Brown's poor shooting and high turnovers would have kept him out of the top 10.