Author Topic: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
For another installment of “why Bleacher Report articles should not be taken seriously,” check out this article on why it was actually Cleveland, not Boston, that won the Kyrie/IT trade:  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793158-1-year-later-cavs-can-look-back-and-call-kyrie-irving-trade-a-success

This is such a poorly argued and joke of an article that I don’t even know where to start with it.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I read the article differently. When the trade was made, it was assumed that Boston won the deal hands down. However, if you break it down further after the additional trades of Thomas and Crowder, the focus of the deal needs to be expanded. They’re looking at the deal being Irving (whom they were going to lose via free agency in one year) for the Brooklyn unprotected first (Collin Sexton), Larry Nance Jr, Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, and Ante Zizic. I read the article as both teams come out of the deal as winners, but for Boston, it depends on if Kyrie stays or if Boston can win the title before bolting for free agency after next season. Although, I will admit the article did seem to go back and forth as to who got the better end of the deal.
That's not really true. There were many who thought the Celts gave up too much. At the time the extent of IT's injury was not known and the Nets pick was unprotected. There were numerous articles arguing that IT was nearly as good as Kyrie and when you throw in a pick that could end up a top three it was argued that the Cavs got the better deal. In retrospect the Celts are the winners, IT has yet to prove he can be an impact player and the Nets pick wasn't that high. At the time, however, there were definitely plenty of people that thought the Cavs won the trade.
Was just going to post thing.  In fact, I am fairly certain that the majority of celtic fans thought we lost the trade.  The big topic that week was that IT was just as good, if not better than Kyrie.
not according to the poll with grades posted right after the trade was announced.  Most of this board thought it was a good deal for Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I agree that he has a long way to go defensively.  Offensively, though, the guy is already scary good.  I say the kid is for real.

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I agree that he has a long way to go defensively.  Offensively, though, the guy is already scary good.  I say the kid is for real.

His defense was very good, and much more of a positive surprise than his offense. Most rookies struggle a lot more than Tatum did.

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2018, 06:23:19 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The Bleacher Report piece was predictably very shi...crappily written, using very weak arguments, will little supported data that it seems like they don't really grasp how to use effectively anyways.

A little context:

Aside from the personnel issues, Tatum is also unlikely to shoot a scorching 52 percent on corner threes again. If that seems unreasonable, consider that Klay Thompson has shot better than 47 percent from the corners only once in his career. He's never matched Tatum's 52 percent.

If you believe Tatum is going to be a better shooter than Thompson, you've crossed the rubicon between optimism and pure fantasy.

Tatum shooting better on corner threes does not make him a better shooter than Thompson. Nobody should be arguing that. A person who is writing things for public consumption should absolutely not be arguing that. In fact, more than just Tatum shot better than Thompson on corner 3's. But you have to correct for things like attempts, games played, etc.

Darren Collison shot 48% from 3 last year. Thompson shot 44%. Was Collison 'a better shooter than Klay' last year? No. He took 4 less attempts per game for one. He would need to more than double his attempts to match Klay's number.

That is one of two reasons Tatum is 'overhyped'. If the argument is that his shooting is not sustainable, make the argument, show other rookies who suffered 2nd year regression they never recovered from. Do something, author guy. The other 'reason' is because of team personnel. Which again, Bleacher Report guy DOES NOT ACTUALLY EXPLAIN. That Bleacher Report snippet was clickbait garbage!

This is spot on, underrated comment.

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't sweat it, you know what sits on Bleachers, and the author is one of those.

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

His defense was very good, and much more of a positive surprise than his offense. Most rookies struggle a lot more than Tatum did.

Yes, really remarkable. He played defense like a veteran, and was effective even when he was giving up 30 pounds.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Aside from the personnel issues, Tatum is also unlikely to shoot a scorching 52 percent on corner threes again. If that seems unreasonable, consider that Klay Thompson has shot better than 47 percent from the corners only once in his career. He's never matched Tatum's 52 percent.

Can't tell what the reasoning is here - regression to the mean? What mean (it's only one season)? Usually players improve after their rookie seasons.

If you believe Tatum is going to be a better shooter than Thompson, you've crossed the rubicon between optimism and pure fantasy.

"Crossing the Rubicon" means there's no going back, but if there's one thing that we can take away from years of NBA commentary, it's that the experts will adapt their opinions as the facts on the ground change.

While there's no need to believe anything about Tatum's future as a shooter, he's surely got a good chance to eclipse Klay. It's not fantasy, it's not even optimism - it's solid numbers. At this stage in their careers, Tatum is better. Predictably, he'll be better over his career.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:46:40 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He's appropriately hyped.