Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward  (Read 24424 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A completely healthy GH is better than either Myles or Victor.

Oladipo Prime was a 1st team all-defense AND All-NBA in 17-18 and a very good player all-around. Was just starting to touch his full potential before his injury.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oladivi01.html

Myles Turner - with his 18-19 stat line was a very good player as well - with a good 3pt clip, decent rebounder and very good shot blocker.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html

With THAT being said I'd still trust Gordon Hayward on this team......Myles and Victor would fill some needs but ALL AROUND we'd lose out in this trade, I think.

GH's Play-Making and Floor General skills are under-rated. You NEED that kind of player in crunch time.

With THAT being said I'd say no to this trade.

Perhaps Tatum is ready to take that next step - kevin Durant-style - and take on PLAY MAKING duties as well, for his teammates. He's shown flashes of this just recently.

But is he READY NOW? To take THAT NEXT STEP? Well if we trade GH in such a trade listed by the OP we'd BETTER BE ready as a FAN BASE for Tatum to take such a step....and be PATIENT with him if he doesn't.

Gordon Hayward plugs....HAS PLUGGED - "MANY" holes for our team. Not his fault for his rotten injury issues.

I'd stay with him regardless.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:19:45 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

Oladipo Prime was a 1st team all-defense AND All-NBA in 17-18 and a very good player all-around. Was just starting to touch his full potential before his injury.

Myles Turner - with his 18-19 stat line was a very good player as well - with a good 3pt clip, decent rebounder and very good shot blocker.

With THAT being said I'd still trust Gordon Hayward on this team......Myles and Victor would full some needs but ALL AROUND we'd lose out in this trade, I think.

GH's Play-Making and Floor General skills are under-rated. You NEED that kind of player in crunch time.

Perhaps Tatum is ready to take that next step - kevin Durant-style - and take on PLAY MAKING duties as well, for his teammates. He's shown flashes of this just recently.

But is he READY NOW? To take THAT NEXT STEP? Well if we trade GH in such a trade listed by the OP we'd BETTER BE ready as a FAN BASE for Tatum to take such a step....and be PATIENT with him if he doesn't.

Gordon Hayward plugs....HAS PLUGGED - "MANY" holes for our team. Not his fault for his rotten injury issues.

That NEEDS to be replaced in the starting lineup. That will RESOLVE the Celtics issues.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

With THAT being said I'd still trust Gordon Hayward on this team......Myles and Victor would full some needs but ALL AROUND we'd lose out in this trade, I think.

That NEEDS to be replaced in the starting lineup. That will RESOLVE the Celtics issues.

Replaced with WHOM, though?

Is Jayson Tatum ready to take on this duty FULL-TIME? If we trade GH we'd better hope so.

Our BEST playmakers on this team are GH, Smart and Kemba. Tatum has shown flashes but is he "READY" to take this on Full-Time?

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

Is Jayson Tatum ready to take on this duty FULL-TIME? If we trade GH we'd better hope so.

Our BEST playmakers on this team are GH, Smart and Kemba. Tatum has shown flashes but is he "READY" to take this on Full-Time?

No it’s not their time, just have to think outside of the box. There are other playmakers out there whom are not superstars but would fit the team better.

Kemba isn’t a good basketball fit for brown and Tatum, but Kemba is also not damaged goods. This means Kemba HAS TRADE value outside of brown and Tatum.

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 06:21:20 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I would bet that Hayward would love to get dealt to Indy. Get out of Bad Luck Boston...Play a more significant role and be the guy, not 3rd or 4th guy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

No it’s not their time, just have to think outside of the box. There are other playmakers out there whom are not superstars but would fit the team better.

Kemba isn’t a good basketball fit for brown and Tatum, but Kemba is also not damaged goods. This means Kemba HAS TRADE value outside of brown and Tatum.

I think that Kemba Walker is an OUTSTANDING fit next to The Jays....and proof of that is how this team actually performed this season - POST-KYRIE - and prior to Covid.

Our Team Chemistry was OFF THE CHARTS....we were beating playoff teams ON THE ROAD....were competitive against playoff teams even when we LOST....

Kemba Walker is on the outer edges of his prime BUT a GREAT teammate and AT TIMES can carry our team offensively. We don't NEED him - with The Jays present - to be CHARLOTTE KEMBA....

If we lose Kemba and he's replaced - via this trade - with Oladipo he'd BETTER come into BOSTON knowing that the BALL goes through The Jays then Marcus Smart, 1st.....OR he'd better believe that he's good enough (and HUMBLE enough) to take a back seat to those three.

I just don't personally think that Oladipo would be a good fit in BOS....even though I do love him as a player and he seems to be a good teammate.

Oladipo needs his OWN team....I'm not sure he'd be ready to be a 3rd fiddle in BOS.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
There is a question of whether we are signing Hayward long term to consider. If Hayward is gone at the end of the year then getting useful players on longer contracts could be attractive. Turner is a 24-year-old big man. He isn't an all star type player but he is a good solid NBA big man.

I'm always against giving up the best player in a trade, that would be Hayward, but it also depends on some behind the scenes factors.

If you subtract Hayward from our team and add Turner and Olidipo does that make the Celtics a better team?

Can a starting five of Turner, Tatum, Brown, Olidipo, Kemba with Smart, Theis, Langford and The Williams' get you to the finals?

That seems like a more well-rounded team.

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2020, 08:15:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I just don't personally think that Oladipo would be a good fit in BOS....even though I do love him as a player and he seems to be a good teammate.

Oladipo needs his OWN team....I'm not sure he'd be ready to be a 3rd fiddle in BOS.

This is how I feel about Oladipo too. He is best suited to being the main man on a middle of the pack team. I am not sure how well he can adapt to a smaller role on a better team.

Oladipo needs the ball in his hands too much and he doesn't do well enough with the ball to justify taking it away from the better type of offensive players you find on top quality teams.

I wonder what he would be like as a third option. A 15-18ppg threat likely with high levels of inconsistency. A little playmaking but not much. Not without more of the ball.

I don't know. What is his motivation at this point? Is he happy being demoted from All-Star and franchise player to 3rd option? Is he content as a 17ppg scorer or does he want more? Will he upset the apple cart looking to prove himself as a 20+ppg threat? Will he accept a lesser role?

I just do not have a ton of confidence in him switching to a smaller role. I already had concerns with him in Indiana just trying to play next to Brogdon. Nevermind Kemba, Tatum and Jaylen!

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2020, 08:20:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Can a starting five of Turner, Tatum, Brown, Olidipo, Kemba with Smart, Theis, Langford and The Williams' get you to the finals?

One thing that jumps out as I read that team in particular that starting 5 is = all those guys need the ball in their hands. Turner is the only guy who doesn't need a lot of it but he still needs a solid amount.

Tatum, Kemba and Oladipo are all suited to being 1st or 2nd options. Jaylen a 3rd option growing into a 2nd option. Then Turner who is more of a 4th option that needs to become more well-rounded offensively (with aimed growth in his passing & interior offense) and needs more of the ball than he gets in Indiana to accomplish that growth.

How do you keep all those five guys happy?

One of those guys has to come off the bench. A Ginobili type 6th man. Ideally Oladipo. Start Smart instead. Could Oladipo mentally accept a bench role at this stage in his career? I do not think so. I don't think Jaylen can (or should) either. Kemba?

That team screams out "chemistry problems" to me. Too many guys who need to ball in their hands in order to play well and not enough guys who play well without the ball.

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Beating the horse dead but:

Hayward, Romeo, our three firsts this year

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That is probably the basic structure of the discussion (if there is any discussion) but I don't think we need to send back all that much in addition to Hayward.  I think the basic Trade of Hayward for Turner and Oladipo is pretty close. As others have said, Oladipo doesn't have all that much value at this point.  Turner is flawed but we desperately need a big (Indy doesn't really need him).  I think this trade would be worth it to go for but not with Langford and the picks.
Agreed

at this point with Dipo, it's salary filler.  would like to keep Romeo and at least one first rounder.

Oladipo is more than salary filler.  When healthy, he’s an All-NBA two-way talent.  Hopefully his last three playoff games are a sign of things to come.
same can be said of Hayward who's health is less questionable based on last season as a whole not just 3 playoff games.  Turner's anticipated development after his rookie season has never materialized and Dipo is still a fingers-crossed situation that he might be decent enough be a solid 6th man off the bench or able to move Smart to the bench and be the 4th best starter we have.

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2020, 09:38:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Beating the horse dead but:

Hayward, Romeo, our three firsts this year

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That is probably the basic structure of the discussion (if there is any discussion) but I don't think we need to send back all that much in addition to Hayward.  I think the basic Trade of Hayward for Turner and Oladipo is pretty close. As others have said, Oladipo doesn't have all that much value at this point.  Turner is flawed but we desperately need a big (Indy doesn't really need him).  I think this trade would be worth it to go for but not with Langford and the picks.
Agreed

at this point with Dipo, it's salary filler.  would like to keep Romeo and at least one first rounder.

Oladipo is more than salary filler.  When healthy, he’s an All-NBA two-way talent.  Hopefully his last three playoff games are a sign of things to come.
same can be said of Hayward who's health is less questionable based on last season as a whole not just 3 playoff games.  Turner's anticipated development after his rookie season has never materialized and Dipo is still a fingers-crossed situation that he might be decent enough be a solid 6th man off the bench or able to move Smart to the bench and be the 4th best starter we have.

Hayward has never made All-NBA, and his defense is more “pretty good” than it is all-defense.  And Hayward is a pretty big question mark.  He missed 20 out of 72 games, and then went down early in the playoffs, suffering nerve damage in the process.

Turner plus a reasonably healthy Oladipo is substantially better than Hayward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2020, 09:45:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I’d have no interest in Oladipo.

Not a great fan of Turner but at least I’d argue he fills a need.

I’d be more interested in getting back someone like McDermott or lamb.

Exactly

Brogdon , Mcdermott and two 1st (right to swap) is my trade idea

Turner cant handle Bam, Giannis etc

Turner is inching closer to Channing Frye territory imo

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2020, 09:50:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’d have no interest in Oladipo.

Not a great fan of Turner but at least I’d argue he fills a need.

I’d be more interested in getting back someone like McDermott or lamb.

Exactly

Brogdon , Mcdermott and two 1st (right to swap) is my trade idea

Turner cant handle Bam, Giannis etc

Turner is inching closer to Channing Frye territory imo

Why would the Pacers trade Brogdon, McDermott and two firsts for Hayward?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
If we get Dipo and Turner for Hayward, the upside is the same: Banner 18. I think the trade makes the window a little bigger and makes the upside a little higher, honestly. Because the possibility that Turner plays to his potential and Dipo plays well in the system (obviously not a given) is a HUGE upside. Not saying it’ll happen. But the upside if things work out would be pretty substantial.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

One thing that jumps out as I read that team in particular that starting 5 is = all those guys need the ball in their hands. Turner is the only guy who doesn't need a lot of it but he still needs a solid amount.

Tatum, Kemba and Oladipo are all suited to being 1st or 2nd options. Jaylen a 3rd option growing into a 2nd option. Then Turner who is more of a 4th option that needs to become more well-rounded offensively (with aimed growth in his passing & interior offense) and needs more of the ball than he gets in Indiana to accomplish that growth.

How do you keep all those five guys happy?

One of those guys has to come off the bench. A Ginobili type 6th man. Ideally Oladipo. Start Smart instead. Could Oladipo mentally accept a bench role at this stage in his career? I do not think so. I don't think Jaylen can (or should) either. Kemba?

That team screams out "chemistry problems" to me. Too many guys who need to ball in their hands in order to play well and not enough guys who play well without the ball.

You're right that would all have to buy in. That's still a really good two-way starting 5 on paper but I do understand that games are not played on paper. It's a big swing for The Celtics to take when it's probably best to just stand pat and add some bench help. The Celtics would only make that trade if Hayward made it known that he wanted to go to Indiana and if Olidipo made it known that he would buy into a role on a contender.

I did read an article that was saying that if Hayward opted out, which still seems unlikely to me, he'd be the biggest free-agent on the market this year. That makes any trade talk a moot point.