Author Topic: Is sugar consumption is a major contributor to the development of diabetes?  (Read 12792 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://corporate.dukehealth.org/news-listing/new-theory-how-insulin-resistance-metabolic-disease-begin

“There is still significant controversy as to whether sugar consumption is a major contributor to the development of diabetes,” said senior author Mark Herman, M.D., assistant professor in the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition at Duke University School of Medicine.

“Some investigators contend that commonly consumed amounts of sugar do not contribute to this epidemic,” Herman said. “While others are convinced that excessive sugar ingestion is a major cause. This paper reveals a specific mechanism by which consuming fructose in large amounts, such as in soda, can cause problems.”

Interesting debate regarding this topic.  What do you guys think?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just keep drinking alcohol ( sugar ) and see what happens .  I ve already lost 1/2 dozen friends like this .

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Of course it is. However there is a mountain of corporate money working against any honest criticism of the American diet.

Look at the lies the tobacco companies spread to keep their business booming and their liability at a minimum. Don't expect any different from the giant food companies.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
https://corporate.dukehealth.org/news-listing/new-theory-how-insulin-resistance-metabolic-disease-begin

“There is still significant controversy as to whether sugar consumption is a major contributor to the development of diabetes,” said senior author Mark Herman, M.D., assistant professor in the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Nutrition at Duke University School of Medicine.

“Some investigators contend that commonly consumed amounts of sugar do not contribute to this epidemic,” Herman said. “While others are convinced that excessive sugar ingestion is a major cause. This paper reveals a specific mechanism by which consuming fructose in large amounts, such as in soda, can cause problems.”

Interesting debate regarding this topic.  What do you guys think?
is this really a point of discussion anymore? plenty have studies have established this. and later studies are finding that soft drinks are a major component in this. and not just in the US. in Mexico, where coca cola is often cheaper and more available than clean water, soft drinks are a major contributor to obesity and diabetes there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/world/americas/mexico-coca-cola-diabetes.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/07/18/coca-cola-on-chiapas-mexico-diabetes-crisis-too.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/04/05/522038318/how-diabetes-got-to-be-the-no-1-killer-in-mexico

my university, which is located right on the border with mexico, has a medical school whose major foci include diabetes and obesity. their research extends into mexico and yes, soft drinks are clearly and medically proven to be central to the problem.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Fructose is particularly bad for you.

Your body converts fructose to glucose in the liver to use it for energy. Excess fructose places a burden on your liver, which may lead to a series of metabolic problems (13Trusted Source).

Several studies have demonstrated the harmful effects of high fructose consumption. These include insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, obesity, fatty liver disease and metabolic syndrome (14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

In one 10-week study, people who drank fructose-sweetened beverages had an 8.6% increase in belly fat, compared to 4.8% in those who drank glucose-sweetened drinks (16Trusted Source).

Another study found that while all added sugars can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity, fructose may be the most harmful (17Trusted Source).

What’s more, fructose has been shown to increase the hunger hormone ghrelin and may make you feel less full after eating (18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source).

Since fructose is metabolized in your liver like alcohol, some evidence suggests that it may be similarly addictive. One study found that it activates the reward pathway in your brain, which may lead to increased sugar cravings (20, 21Trusted Source).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sucrose-glucose-fructose#which-is-worst?

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can say from personal experience you don't need to have a sweet tooth to become diabetic or overweight unfortunately. 

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I can say from personal experience you don't need to have a sweet tooth to become diabetic or overweight unfortunately.

Can you expand?  Is it type 1 or ...?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I would generally agree. Remember, there are two different types of carbohydrates - simple and complex. While simple sugars like candy and soda are often to blame, it's the pastas and breads that I believe are the real culprit in obesity, and, eventually, diabetes.

And, the real fix for most people, unfortunately, is exercise. Of course calories in/calories out is the simplest way to break this down, the easiest way to improve your metabolism, and, thus, your ability to burn off those pesky calories is to be more active.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Can you expand?  Is it type 1 or ...?

no problems health wise until I got married to someone who cooked unhealthy food for an army and it was just me that ate since she had bariatric surgery.  raised in a family that couldn't afford to let anything go to waste, I ate far too much unhealthy food so that it wouldn't be thrown out.  it's a severe mental thing I have that has screwed up my health.  it wasn't sugar or sweets that caused the weight gain and health issues -- it was excessive eating and a high carb/high fat diet (and other factors).

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I would generally agree. Remember, there are two different types of carbohydrates - simple and complex. While simple sugars like candy and soda are often to blame, it's the pastas and breads that I believe are the real culprit in obesity, and, eventually, diabetes.

And, the real fix for most people, unfortunately, is exercise. Of course calories in/calories out is the simplest way to break this down, the easiest way to improve your metabolism, and, thus, your ability to burn off those pesky calories is to be more active.
activity is a key.  doesn't help when a workday requires up to a 12 hour day sitting in an office and commuting

Re: Is sugar consumption is a major contributor to the development of diabetes?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
BEST exercise seems to be walking. Just walk.... the thing about walking, assuming no walking disability, is that you have  no excuse about equipment not working, or inability to get to the gym. Just walk you can walk in your house you can walk in your yard. You can walk at work, and you can walk at school. There was a guy in school that just walked up and down the stairs in the building and around the building. He must have lost about 100 lbs. I dont know what else he did, but he walked a lot and he dropped a lot of weight. A few years ago I committed to walking 10,000 steps a day. I really committed to it. I did not change much else and I lost about 50 lbs over about six  months.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:19:04 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
BEST exercise seems to be walking. Just walk.... the thing about walking, assuming no walking disability, is that you have  no excuse about equipment not working, or inability to get to the gym. Just walk you can walk in your house you can walk in your yard. You can walk at work, and you can walk at school. There was a guy in school that just walked up and down the stairs in the building and around the building. He must have lost about 100 lbs. I dont know what else he did, but he walked a lot and he dropped a lot of weight. A few years ago I committed to walking 10,000 steps a day. I really committed to it. I did not change much else and I lost about 50 lbs over about six  months.

excellent man.  Folks in Japan are also obsessed with this and try to walk 7 to 10k everyday.   In North America... thats the problem lol

nobody really walks.  Everyone drives.

Also metformin is one of the most prescribed drugs ... which shouldn't be taken long term

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 12:32:05 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

excellent man.  Folks in Japan are also obsessed with this and try to walk 7 to 10k everyday.   In North America... thats the problem lol

Also metformin is one of the most prescribed drugs ... which shouldn't be taken long term

Why not long term ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 06:59:56 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

It’s the carbs that I don’t understand. I am 61 and while I do have health problems, weight is not a factor and I don’t have any sugar-level issues.  I eat tons of bread (at least 1 large sandwich a day)and a fair amount of pasta and I’ve weighed about 145-150 my entire adult life.  Not an exercise fanatic by any means but do light workout maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Is it a rationalization/denial for me to think that carbs do not have a negative impact on me given that they do not impact my weight?

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yes, great point.  I have always been a hiker/walker, and about 10 years ago my wife and I decided to make walking in the woods a shared activity with the extra benefit that it would an activity (along with the conversation, significantly) that we can do together and thus strengthen our relationship.  She now wears a FitBit and keeps track of her daily steps, 10-12k daily is her goal.

All the earlier points about carbs are valid, but there's one more subtle point:  If you eat lots of carbs, the lesser evil is to do so early in the day so your body has a chance to metabolize it.  The big no-no (and often my own weakness) is the late night carbs.  Then they just sit in your stomach with very slow metabolism overnight.