Author Topic: Lebron rides a bicycle to and from home games  (Read 3982 times)

Lebron rides a bicycle to and from home games
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Seriously.  The best player in the world has been riding a bicycle to and from games this season to help with his conditioning.  It is a 40 minute ride each way.  I'm not sure why the Heat are letting him do this, seems totally unsafe (especially in the dark in the middle of downtown), but that is some dedication from the physical specimen that is Lebron James. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:24:55 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Lebron rides a bicycle to and from home games
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Probably fishing for another endorsement.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I remember in the 90's when Pete Harnish of the Cincinnati Reds would ride his bicycle after games..saw him doing many of times
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Propaganda, man. He probably did it once, knowing that he would get limited minutes vs the Wizards, it gets leaked to the media, and now it's a story as though he does it before and after every game home game.

And the bike ride is not through a bad area. He'll be going east towards the beach, not west towards Overtown/Liberty City. Big difference.

Hype Man

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am waiting for the news that he is taking it to away games. 

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
It kinda makes you wonder how much a short bike ride really conditions a body as strong as LeBron's.

Obviously this isn't his only workout but I'm just not sure that bike riding stresses the body enough to help with basketball shape (which requires more stamina than any other sport).  You'd think getting to the gym 20 minutes early and doing suicides would be more beneficial.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It kinda makes you wonder how much a short bike ride really conditions a body as strong as LeBron's.

Obviously this isn't his only workout but I'm just not sure that bike riding stresses the body enough to help with basketball shape (which requires more stamina than any other sport).  You'd think getting to the gym 20 minutes early and doing suicides would be more beneficial.
Yeah, but suicides might actually affect you during the game.  Riding a bike, especially if he is really doing it 40 minutes before and 40 minutes after a game, is probably a pretty good way to loosen up the body without putting a lot of stress on it.  In other words, a pretty good warm up and cool down that won't tire you out. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I've been a bicycle commuter for years.  I love it, and I think it would be great if more people rode their bike to work. 

Darn, I hate it when Lebron gives me reasons to like him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
My first thought is:  Wow that's really cool, I like that.

I once lived 1 mile away from my office, and walked to work 90% of the time.  The people I worked with, looked at me like I was crazy? Oh is your car broke? Do you need a ride?  It was unfathomable to them that anybody choose a 25 minute walk to work vs a 5 minute car ride, despite it being cheaper, healthier, and better for the environment.

My second thought is: Hmmm. I wonder if it's really good for the environment?  Is he riding his bike alone, or does he have a posse following him in 3 SUVs?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54:26 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
no one ever said he was smart.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, but suicides might actually affect you during the game. 
Because you're doing a lot more work, that's the whole point.  If you're not getting tired you're not conditioning right.

I didn't specifically mean that he should do it before games, just that it appears to be the time he likes to work out.  I personally wouldn't even ride a bike before a game and waste even THAT much energy.

My only point was that there are plenty of 20 minute activities that are more efficient and better for his conditioning than the 80 minute journey.  That's why I found it funny and ridiculous that he chose to do this to "help with his conditioning."  Maybe he's doing it for the relaxing scenery, but I have a tough time believing it's for anything other than the media.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Yeah, but suicides might actually affect you during the game. 
Because you're doing a lot more work, that's the whole point.  If you're not getting tired you're not conditioning right.

I didn't specifically mean that he should do it before games, just that it appears to be the time he likes to work out.  I personally wouldn't even ride a bike before a game and waste even THAT much energy.

My only point was that there are plenty of 20 minute activities that are more efficient and better for his conditioning than the 80 minute journey.  That's why I found it funny and ridiculous that he chose to do this to "help with his conditioning."  Maybe he's doing it for the relaxing scenery, but I have a tough time believing it's for anything other than the media.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

It's like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Ya it doesn't make much of a difference, but every little bit helps and it's often part of a larger healthy mentality.

Say LeBron leaves 3:20pm to get to the gym at 4pm on his bike.  If he takes his car, he leaves at 3:50 and still gets there at 4pm.  So he’s not really getting there any sooner or later.  And he can still do suicides.  That could be 40 minutes less of personal time, you’re assuming he’s taking that 40 minutes out of conditioning/exercise time.   As someone who has done the walking/running/riding thing, I would imagine that’s coming mostly out of personal time.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
my first reaction is...i could care less

not slamming your post or you or anything like that, i just think its more hype than anything else. gotta remember that all of these guys are top notch, highly conditioned athletes and do what they need to do to stay in shape...both physically and mentally. its their job to do it. for example, i very often work late hours and always have work to do after getting home, sometimes late into the night. its my job, its very demanding and i get paid for it. i just don't have Heat Index on ESPN covering me ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
my first reaction is...i could care less

not slamming your post or you or anything like that, i just think its more hype than anything else. gotta remember that all of these guys are top notch, highly conditioned athletes and do what they need to do to stay in shape...both physically and mentally. its their job to do it. for example, i very often work late hours and always have work to do after getting home, sometimes late into the night. its my job, its very demanding and i get paid for it. i just don't have Heat Index on ESPN covering me ;)
plus i see LBJ and his hangers-on as a phoney marketing machine that lives for hype...not my cup of tea

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I can't believe people are down on the guy for riding his bike to work.  I doubt it does much for him as far as training goes.  The guy is already one of the most well-conditioned athletes in the world, but it might well be very good for his mental health to ride his bicycle instead of driving or getting driven. 

Bike riding is really fun, and it makes you feel good.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that this is why he's doing it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson