Author Topic: In retrospect what do you now think about the PSU scandal?  (Read 57505 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For decades PSU & their football coach knowingly allowed countless children to be raped under their watch b/c of a big $$$ game. Their punishment is nothing compared to their crimes.

Mk
Why do you believe this? Because of what Louis Freeh says? What if they drop all charges for everyone involved except Sandusky?

Also....in regards to the football coach....going to the campus police within 36 hours of being told of a vague incident (that didn't even happen) seems an odd way to knowingly allow children to be hurt

I find it very hard to believe they didn't know.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17015181/testimony-unsealed-documents-alleges-joe-paterno-knew-jerry-sandusky-abuse-1976
See now the media story is evolving to an entire team of coaches in on a decades long conspiracy to continuously harm children for the sake of football, because presumably, if they turn in a coach it will immediately destroy the team, only this is the first conspiracy in the history of the world where neither the perpetrator, nor the victim are in the conspiracy, and none of the coaches are ever charged.

Or maybe someone was just trying to get a lot of insurance money (which they did get) because PSU was paying out without vetting claims and the guy that was pointed at wasn't alive to defend himself. The other coaches that are alive have completely denied this happened.

I just see no actual evidence. The coaching staff (I'm talking mostly about 2001 now) are neither children welfare experts, nor investigators, and Sandusky wasn't an employee at that point.  Rather the coach goes to the campus police almost immediately and then they kick him off campus, even though that specific incident reported never even happened.

Further is the assertion that these guys all knew, but then Paterno is going to the police anyway? Kind of an odd way to avoid being found out.

I fully understand the idea that this is similar to the Catholic church thing, but there seems to be an extra element of overkill here. Like because one priest did something every single other priest knew about it for decades and did nothing.

What happens if a staff member at a school gets caught doing something? Does that mean every single other staff member was involved, including the one that reports it the next day to the police?

I think we should wait for actual evidence at actual trials. Only the trials aren't happening and charges keep getting dropped.

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
For decades PSU & their football coach knowingly allowed countless children to be raped under their watch b/c of a big $$$ game. Their punishment is nothing compared to their crimes.

Mk
Why do you believe this? Because of what Louis Freeh says? What if they drop all charges for everyone involved except Sandusky?

Also....in regards to the football coach....going to the campus police within 36 hours of being told of a vague incident (that didn't even happen) seems an odd way to knowingly allow children to be hurt

Yeah, I admit that I haven't followed the story as close as you, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that people like mkogav are even less versed on it than I am. To think that Paterno knowingly covered up countless molestations so that he could protect Penn State football seems a bit short sighted to say the least. Besides, he was the big name in the program, not Sandusky, why protect that piece of trash?

I am on record as saying that Paterno got a bad wrap in this case and I am standing by that. It is a real shame how quickly he went from hero to villain to dead.

You want to believe that Paterno, was innocent. This has nothing to do with PSU football. I get it. It was only Sandusky and no one else. You are wrong. Someday you may understand.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Mk

Yeah, I admit that I haven't followed the story as close as you, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that people like mkogav are even less versed on it than I am. To think that Paterno knowingly covered up countless molestations so that he could protect Penn State football seems a bit short sighted to say the least. Besides, he was the big name in the program, not Sandusky, why protect that piece of trash?

I am on record as saying that Paterno got a bad wrap in this case and I am standing by that. It is a real shame how quickly he went from hero to villain to dead.

You want to believe that Paterno, was innocent. This has nothing to do with PSU football. I get it. It was only Sandusky and no one else. You are wrong. Someday you may understand.

Mk
I agree it has nothing to do with football.

I don't have a problem with Paterno being guilty. But it needs to be proved. In a court.

I don't accept the results of trial by media.

Trial by media resulted in Deflategate. It resulted in the University of Virgina rape case thing (all lies). It resulted in the Duke rape case (all lies). 

Right now we have a situation where it's been stated publicly by authorities that Paterno would never have faced charges (I'm not sure i believe that at all), and where the other guys are still waiting for trials years later, because realistically there is not enough evidence to go to trial, let alone convict them.  And one of them is actually suing, so stuff might backfire.

The media used to do investigative journalism. Now it does horse race journalism for ratings. Speaking of which wikileaks is today stating an unknown state actor has cut their internet feed. Currently that's not being reported on msnbc.com or cnn.com. Gee I wonder why.

Re: In retrospect what do you now think about the PSU scandal?
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/18325512/lawsuit-alleges-msu-failed-act-claims-sex-abuse-school-usa-gymnastics-doctor

I will be very very curious to see how the media treats this.  Far more [dang]ing (and widespread) in my opinion for multiple reasons.

One thing is for certain....MSU won't be hiring Louis Freeh to do the internal investigation.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mk

Mk
I agree it has nothing to do with football.

I don't have a problem with Paterno being guilty. But it needs to be proved. In a court.

I don't accept the results of trial by media.

Trial by media resulted in Deflategate. It resulted in the University of Virgina rape case thing (all lies). It resulted in the Duke rape case (all lies). 

Right now we have a situation where it's been stated publicly by authorities that Paterno would never have faced charges (I'm not sure i believe that at all), and where the other guys are still waiting for trials years later, because realistically there is not enough evidence to go to trial, let alone convict them.  And one of them is actually suing, so stuff might backfire.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/02/penn-state-ex-president-spanier-other-administrators-sentenced-in-sandusky-case.amp.html

So the news has been updated.  2-3 months in jail for three Penn State administrators, two of whom pled guilty and the third who was convicted. I guess there was enough evidence for a conviction after all.  And the judge said the following of Paterno (who obviously will never be tried by an earthly court)

Describing the case as a "Shakespearean tragedy," the judge also chided Paterno for failing to report the crimes, saying: "Paterno could've made that phone call without getting his hands dirty."

Now that it's been trial by an actual criminal court, will you accept the results?

« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Generally speaking I do accept these results on multiple levels.

I said for a long time I wanted to wait to see the trial results and now they've happened. I'm glad Spanier fought this because then we had at least one trial where we got more context.

I am generally satisfied with the explanation that Paterno met the minimum level of legality by reporting it to the experts and then walked away from it as he wasn't an expert in this.

I accept that largely these men made a decision together....a bad one. A really really bad one that was avoidable at the time and that should never have been made.

I like that at least two of these guys basically said "It's not that we did nothing. We did several things and in the end made a totally wrong decision and we accept the punishment for it."

I'm happy that we have learned that this was not a PSU football or culture problem. PSU football did the right thing by reporting it to the campus police and supervisors.  It was a problem with three guys....well 4 if you include Sandusky.

I'm happy that these guys are going to serve as an example to everyone else.

I am interested in what could happen on appeal, but my understanding is that a big part of the appeal is based on statute of limitations.

I hope the media and authorities are as thorough and unrelenting on the Baylor case and the Michigan State case as this.

My guess is they won't be because there's no big name like Paterno involved and those schools never really put themselves out there as schools that were more moral than anyone else.  The sensationalism and potential for ratings isn't there in the same way. 

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think these are some fair questions that remain and apparently this is not 100% done. The Paternos are still suing the NCAA for defamation, but it looks like we may not see some of the evidence.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06/will_we_ever_know_the_truth_un.html

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/jerry-sandusky/article155773494.html

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't think I'm going to watch the Paterno HBO movie. I've heard different things.  The comments section of this article are interesting too. A generation of younger students going there now are nowhere near as loyal to Paterno as others were so they have slightly different attitudes.

https://onwardstate.com/2018/04/09/wont-watch-hbos-paterno-movie/