Author Topic: How awesome was Jeff Green  (Read 10502 times)

How awesome was Jeff Green
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I know we all get on him for his bad games so how about showing some love for how he did tonight. Seriously though his spark on offense being aggressive and his defense on Carmelo if he can give us that in the playoffs that is all we need. I see a lot of trade scenarios where people want to ship him and bring back a guy like Francisco Garcia well Melo would have eaten him alive. I'm glad we have a guy like Green who will not get totally abused up against Melo or even LeBron, plus I think Jeff will get better as the year goes on having had heart surgery not even a year ago.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: How awesome was Jeff Green
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Good showing from Green tonight. Had Novak on him for most of the game and took full advantage of this.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:36 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I loved how Green took it to Novak.  Despite Novak having good synergy numbers on defense or not, it was a huge mismatch and I'm glad Green took advantage of it.  The Knicks have too often gotten the benefit of Novak's offense without suffering from teams exploiting him on defense.  Besides a few settled-for jumpers in a row in the third, he exploited Novak's lack of lateral quickness all game. 

One thing I noticed is that Green takes off far too far from the rim.  He's been doing that most of the season but I thought it was because defenders were able to stay chest to chest with him on his drives and angle him away from the rim.  Since he still did with Novak guarding him, I think it's just a bad habit.  He would be a much more dangerous and effective driver if he didn't rush things and took an extra step and dribble before putting up a shot.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
... One thing I noticed is that Green takes off far too far from the rim.  He's been doing that most of the season but I thought it was because defenders were able to stay chest to chest with him on his drives and angle him away from the rim.  Since he still did with Novak guarding him, I think it's just a bad habit. ...

Maybe he is still afraik of full contact. Wouldn't suprise me. Going full speed with the upper body against defenders after a heart surgery, isn't easy mentally i guess. 

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
He did well last nite

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I know we all get on him for his bad games so how about showing some love for how he did tonight. Seriously though his spark on offense being aggressive and his defense on Carmelo if he can give us that in the playoffs that is all we need. I see a lot of trade scenarios where people want to ship him and bring back a guy like Francisco Garcia well Melo would have eaten him alive. I'm glad we have a guy like Green who will not get totally abused up against Melo or even LeBron, plus I think Jeff will get better as the year goes on having had heart surgery not even a year ago.

This is why we brought him back for 4 years at the money he got.  People want to see an offensive superstar because Green has the tools offensively to be dominant.  But that's not the player he is.

He is, however, the only guy on our roster who can defend Melo and Lebron over a 48 minute game.  Pierce can try, but we need to save his legs for our offense.  There was a reason Pierce was so fresh late in the game; Green did a lot of the dirty work on Melo early on.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It was nice to see him play well but I hope it continues rather than the up down we normally see with Jeff.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:14:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Even if he's having an off shooting night, the one thing he can control is his defense. Tonight he was excellent on Melo, he was great on Novak and closing out on him too- Novak hit some lasers with Green right in his face.
He was even capable guarding Amare down low- although he got schooled on one occasion.

The great part about this game for Jeff Green is that it was a playoff like atmosphere and he rose to the occasion- kind of like Rondo has a habit of doing.

Definitely won't complain about Jeff Green tonight. Gave me a bit more hope for him.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Great to see Jeff played a big role in a tough road win (didn't see game).

Coming into the season, we all had big expectations from our bench.  I think the general consensus might be one of disappointment - but am getting the feel that what we are seeing is that one or maybe two of the guys will step up and score, and the others not, depending on whose hitting shots, match-ups, and how many minutes they get (other than KG's back-up, the minutes somewhat scattered for the bench guys).

But they are still a talented bunch that can help a lot, both as we go through the season - our starters to date have been relatively healthy, but I don't expect that to late, and in the POs, where rotations shorten, but we'll have 8-9 guys we can play, which will help keep up the intensity on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:35 AM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Jeff Green is another player I would like to see the Celtics keep. All this trade talk is a bunch of nonsense. If Danny moves anyone it will probably be Brandon Bass. He is the most expendable.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
still need free agentt size

Get Birdman and fight all the way with this roster
just teach them some aikido, and some jujitsu and we will be fine

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Green needs to play at least 25 mpg.  He seems to need to get into a rhythm.  He's not effective when he only plays 15 minutes.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Novac might make a lot of points , but he gives up alot of points to players like Pierce and Green.  SO it can become a wash if the coach is not careful with his minutes . 

Green was solid last night.  No complaints.  Not an all star ...but filled in nice for foul plagued Paul Pierce .

COme on FAb Melo , hurry up !!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:05:45 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Green was really good. I've been saying for 2 years now, but Green guards Melo well.

He had his offense going, but he still looks a bit uncomfortable out there, like he's not sure what Doc wants him to do. I'd rather have him spotting up in the corner and constantly cutting to the basket, and let his offense come that way, with the occasional post-up when the match-up is there.