Author Topic: Celtics Sign Brad Stevens To Contract Extension  (Read 3724 times)

Re: Celtics Sign Brad Stevens To Contract Extension
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's going to end up very high in our all-time wins rankings
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Fantastic news.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I’m glad, I like him.  Stevens was noticed as a college coach because year after year his teams seemed to over-achieve. Without getting to deeply into analysis I think generally the C’s over-achieved 2 years ago and under-achieved last year. 

Seems to me that over-achievement this year would be making the finals (maybe taking Bucks to 7) and under-achievement would be a first round loss (or a weak showing in round 2).

Anyway - I’m glad he’s signed and staying for a while. And I do want to see the over-achieving magic he had in college.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I’m glad, I like him.  Stevens was noticed as a college coach because year after year his teams seemed to over-achieve. Without getting to deeply into analysis I think generally the C’s over-achieved 2 years ago and under-achieved last year. 

Seems to me that over-achievement this year would be making the finals (maybe taking Bucks to 7) and under-achievement would be a first round loss (or a weak showing in round 2).

Anyway - I’m glad he’s signed and staying for a while. And I do want to see the over-achieving magic he had in college.

Over-achieving seems to be his talent that is why he did well with that improbable team two years ago and underachieved when he had his stars last year. So I say Cs trade Tatum and Brown as soon as they emerge as stars.

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Over-achieving seems to be his talent that is why he did well with that improbable team two years ago and underachieved when he had his stars last year. So I say Cs trade Tatum and Brown as soon as they emerge as stars.
Ship has sailed in that regard

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Fantastic news.
Very apt username, lol

Yeah I figured this response wasn't far away haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 11:55:24 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I just want titles. If Brad can help bring that, great. If he and the Cs are still without a title (or even a Finals appearance) 3 or 4 years from now, I might want a change.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 12:02:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I just want titles. If Brad can help bring that, great. If he and the Cs are still without a title (or even a Finals appearance) 3 or 4 years from now, I might want a change.

4 years sounds about right.

Coaches can always be fired relatively painlessly.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's a top 3 talent development coach in the NBA.
He's a top 5 defensive coach in the NBA.
He's a top 5 offensive coach in the NBA.
He's a top 5 play-caller in the NBA.

He doesn't make a fool himself on the sidelines. He's active in the community. He focused on developing people and their character, not just basketball players. Media seems to like him. Players seem to respect him. Coaches copy him.

Love Brad Stevens. I admire him and want to be like him. If/when the Celtics win a championship, the structure and support he provides to the players and their talent will be a big reason why.

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
WHAT?! The Celtics should've fired him!!!!!

LOL. .... heck ...i don't know ....for me personally I think he lacks a good deal in the motivation dept in my book .  I always needed inspiration, a kick in my rear end from my coach or old man to get me to the highest level .     He is kind man  , maybe a good teacher , caring , loyal and  compassionate coach for the players private lifes  ,  but i have my doubts as to his leadership abilities .  so TP for having the guts to speak up,

His lack of calling a timeout in dire game situations irks me, and feel like his ATO execution hasn't been stellar unlike a couple of years ago.

Plus, he coached the team for about 7 years and still haven't made it to one NBA Finals appearance yet. Feeling meh about it

Which of those 7 years would another (available) coach have moved the team into the finals? The Hayward injury messed up our best chance at the finals
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 11:14:19 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Amazing news. Great move.

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

LOL. .... heck ...i don't know ....for me personally I think he lacks a good deal in the motivation dept in my book .  I always needed inspiration, a kick in my rear end from my coach or old man to get me to the highest level .     He is kind man  , maybe a good teacher , caring , loyal and  compassionate coach for the players private lifes  ,  but i have my doubts as to his leadership abilities .  so TP for having the guts to speak up,

His lack of calling a timeout in dire game situations irks me, and feel like his ATO execution hasn't been stellar unlike a couple of years ago.

Plus, he coached the team for about 7 years and still haven't made it to one NBA Finals appearance yet. Feeling meh about it

Which of those 7 years would another (available) coach have moved the team into the finals? The Hayward injury messed up our best chance at the finals

You realize only FIVE teams total have been to the finals in the last seven years right?

SAS
Miami
GSW
Cavs
Raptors

The fact that Stevens brought a rag tag development team to a game seven of the ECF alone gives him the proper credentials to be here 10+ years.

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

You realize only FIVE teams total have been to the finals in the last seven years right?

SAS
Miami
GSW
Cavs
Raptors

The fact that Stevens brought a rag tag development team to a game seven of the ECF alone gives him the proper credentials to be here 10+ years.

Man its crazy to think about how monopolized finals appearances have been the last 7 years. That's part of the reason this year feels so exciting, three of those five teams (GSW, SAS, CLE) have no chance at it this year. And even the top seeds this year feel beatable.