Author Topic: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?  (Read 11449 times)

Re: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would offer Rozier and the Kings pick for a top 4 or 5 pick if there was a big man worthy there.   

But not for later picks.  I believe in the Kings ineptitude. 

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Orlando seems like the perfect team to make a deal with, but not sure they want to deal a chance a franchise player for Rozier.

What about a trade of Rozier and Nader for Isaac? Too much, too little? This would allow the Magic to build around Gordon and whatever big they get in this draft along with Rozier and Fournier. We would get two additional years of rookie scale contract in a versatile big in Isaac.

I would be into a Rozier for Bamba trade, but wouldn’t throw in the Sac or Mem picks. I honestly don’t want to give up Rozier at all, but our salary is about to explode and there really isn’t much choice unless we trade Irving.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Most mock projections don't have Bamba in the Top-5 of their mocks, but most have him going somewhere in the 6-9 range (with a few having him go at 5). I think that's fair to be honest, considering the risks involved with him as well. W/o those risks, Bamba could be in the same tier as Ayton who is projected to be a Top-2 pick this June.

I'm enjoying our current playoff run with Scary Terry, but looking ahead I think there's three options going forward:

(1) Keep Rozier for next season to make a legit run at Banner 18, and likely lose him next summer in FA (Some team offers him near-max or something which we don't match)

(2) Lose Smart in RFA, so Ainge keeps Rozier and works an extension with him (even if it's for a lot more $$$ than expected)

(3) Sell high on Rozier THIS summer

Seeing what Ainge has done previously, I honestly think either (2) or (3) is done. Ainge won't just lose Rozier for absolutely nothing if the writing is in the wall (and it seems it is, as Rozier will command a big pay day and will probably want to start understandably). I also predict Smart's market is a bit over-exaggerated and he won't command as much as people think, so Ainge re-signs him in the 9-12M a year range (still a great pay day, but not 15M+ a year).

So is there a chance Rozier + asset(s) (NOT Kings Pick) can get us into the 6-9 range to select Bamba, or is Bamba simply out of our range? I'm pretty high on Bamba, even if he is currently "raw" and isn't as polished as the others yet. Or are you all just not Bamba fans lol?

Anyways, GO C'S! Keep proving the doubters wrong!

There is no way Scary Terry (who if a Free Agent) in a year, will be able to bring you back a top 10 pick

Unless he is the MVP of the ECF

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have been thinking about the potential of trading Rozier and its affects on the off-season a lot.

My short answer would be No I do not think Cs can trade up for Bamba and if they can it will cost them most of their future draft capital.

My long answer

Bottom line is that I think the Cs move Rozier to A. Cash out max trade value B. move some $$ off the books to help stay under the Luxury tax.

When establishing trade the best precedent to look at is the 2011 George Hill for #12 (Kawhi Leonard) trade

At the time Hill was coming off of a season at saw him average 11pts 2.5rb 2.5 ast as Tony Parker's Backup.

In the 2011 draft Kawhi Leonard was ranked by Chad Ford as a tier 3 prospect. Fords Tier 3 was reserved for players who Fords league insiders viewed as solid high end starters.

When projecting this previous trade onto Roziers value the first thing that stands out to me is that Rozier is the more productive player. It also should be noted that both Hill and Rozier had similar contracts with both players having 1 year left on deals.

With out the benefit of Fords tiers for this draft I can only speculate who he would have in his tier 3. My guess is that Doncic, Ayton, Jackson, Bagely, Porter and Bamba would all be in Tier 1 or 2. With Bamba being on the edge of 2/3.

The last and most important aspect to look at is demand. My quick guess is that the Suns, Hawks, Magic, Cavs (gross), Knicks, 76ers (yuck), and Clippers are all lottery teams who may have interest in Rozier.

I think the Suns and Hawks can be eliminated with their top picks.

The Magic are an interesting possibility if the Cs are willing to include multiple future 1st but I find that unlikely.

I just cant see DA sending Terry to the Cavs and i also think they will be hoping for a home run with that pick if Lebron leaves.

The Knicks is where I think things get interesting. Knicks fans will likely balk at the idea but a Rozier + #27 + clippers pick for #9 could make sense.  Rozier and Nikitina would form a versatile athletic young back-court and Roziers energy would be create for the team culture.

The 76ers is a weird trade given the recent series and one that I just cant see happening despite the fit.

The clippers with 12 and 13 seem to make a lot of sense if the Cs value a player in this range. This might be the point in the trade speculation where the Cs ask for additional value maybe in the form of a future 2nd.

The other trade out there could be with the Suns at #16. This is later then I would hope for but maybe the inclusion of an unprotected future 2nd or the #31  and Tyler Ulis makes this a possibility. Ulis would serve as a really cheap backup who may actually thrice on Cs.

So barring any bigger 3 team deals where a team like the Hornets moves their point guard this leaves us with some what logical trades for picks #9, #12, or #16

From the mocks ive seen the assumptions are that Doncic, Ayton, Bagely, Jackson and M Porter (if healthy) are all gone in the top 5 and definitely in the top 8.

The consensuses next 5 appears to be

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

The Knicks trade that nets the #9 pick could land 1 of these players with Bamba being the least likely to be available. With this I would say that Wendell Carter would be the target.

In a trade for #12 or #16 I would expect the Cs to target Zhaire Smith (potential is off the charts), J Porter (great Al understudy), R Williams (elite athlete to mold into Capella like big) or Mitchell Robinson (elite potential but a lot of question marks)

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
1. Bamba is probably not ready to contribute at a high level in nba
2. Centers like him are dying breed
3. We have a higher chance of signing Nerlens Noel who could contribute right away and do the same skills as bamba

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have been thinking about the potential of trading Rozier and its affects on the off-season a lot.

My short answer would be No I do not think Cs can trade up for Bamba and if they can it will cost them most of their future draft capital.

My long answer

Bottom line is that I think the Cs move Rozier to A. Cash out max trade value B. move some $$ off the books to help stay under the Luxury tax.

When establishing trade the best precedent to look at is the 2011 George Hill for #12 (Kawhi Leonard) trade

At the time Hill was coming off of a season at saw him average 11pts 2.5rb 2.5 ast as Tony Parker's Backup.

In the 2011 draft Kawhi Leonard was ranked by Chad Ford as a tier 3 prospect. Fords Tier 3 was reserved for players who Fords league insiders viewed as solid high end starters.

When projecting this previous trade onto Roziers value the first thing that stands out to me is that Rozier is the more productive player. It also should be noted that both Hill and Rozier had similar contracts with both players having 1 year left on deals.

With out the benefit of Fords tiers for this draft I can only speculate who he would have in his tier 3. My guess is that Doncic, Ayton, Jackson, Bagely, Porter and Bamba would all be in Tier 1 or 2. With Bamba being on the edge of 2/3.

The last and most important aspect to look at is demand. My quick guess is that the Suns, Hawks, Magic, Cavs (gross), Knicks, 76ers (yuck), and Clippers are all lottery teams who may have interest in Rozier.

The Magic are an interesting possibility if the Cs are willing to include multiple future 1st but I find that unlikely.

I just cant see DA sending Terry to the Cavs and i also think they will be hoping for a home run with that pick if Lebron leaves.

The Knicks is where I think things get interesting. Knicks fans will likely balk at the idea but a Rozier + #27 + clippers pick for #9 could make sense.  Rozier and Nikitina would form a versatile athletic young back-court and Roziers energy would be create for the team culture.

The 76ers is a weird trade given the recent series and one that I just cant see happening despite the fit.

The clippers with 12 and 13 seem to make a lot of sense if the Cs value a player in this range. This might be the point in the trade speculation where the Cs ask for additional value maybe in the form of a future 2nd.

The other trade out there could be with the Suns at #16. This is later then I would hope for but maybe the inclusion of an unprotected future 2nd or the #31  and Tyler Ulis makes this a possibility. Ulis would serve as a really cheap backup who may actually thrice on Cs.

So barring any bigger 3 team deals where a team like the Hornets moves their point guard this leaves us with some what logical trades for picks #9, #12, or #16

From the mocks ive seen the assumptions are that Doncic, Ayton, Bagely, Jackson and M Porter (if healthy) are all gone in the top 5 and definitely in the top 8.

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

The Knicks trade that nets the #9 pick could land 1 of these players with Bamba being the least likely to be available. With this I would say that Wendell Carter would be the target.

In a trade for #12 or #16 I would expect the Cs to target Zhaire Smith (potential is off the charts), J Porter (great Al understudy), R Williams (elite athlete to mold into Capella like big) or Mitchell Robinson (elite potential but a lot of question marks)

TP for the useful info. Do you think Mikal Bridges could play PF in our system?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Who might have an interest in Rozier?

Magic at 5? Maybe. They liked him last year. The problem is value. They might like him, but not enough to give up the 5th pick. A Rozier-Fournier-Gordon-Isaac core is athletic, switchy, and pretty good shooters.

Bulls at 6? Maybe, but doubtful. They already have Dunn and Lavine in the backcourt. It seems more likely they would take one of the bigs available to continue to build.

Kings at 7? Maybe, but doubtful. They have Fox and Hield. Rozier is probably better than both of those guys and can play with both of them. At this point, the Kings could use a proven up-and-coming talent with competitiveness and heart.

Cavs at 8? Doubtful. Can you imagine the spectacle if the Cavs wind up with essential Rozier for Irving?

Knicks at 9? Possibly, but I doubt Bamba will still be available. Rozier in the garden would be great for him. He'd be appreciated there.

If we package some picks+ Rozier, Yabusele, and someone else, do you think Magic would bite?

I get the idea of selling high on Rozier. I'd rather keep him, but he might appreciate the opportunity to start. I probably wouldn't give up Yabusele (like him too much), but I might give up the Cs 2018 1st and the Memphis pick.

On their side, it depends on how much they like Rozier. They liked him enough to offer Ibaka, whom they got for Sabonis, Illyasova, and Oladipo -- although that trade was lopsided, that gives an idea that they value him pretty highly. If they thought that in an uptempo spread offense with a high usage rate, Rozier could be a 20 and 5 guy, then he'd be worth the 5th pick.

There's another aspect also -- culture shifts. Rozier's energy, competitiveness, and light-heartedness could be a catalyst to change an organizations culture, especially if they get the right coach (Laranaga?).

They might look at their options at 5 and be unimpressed. Porter has question marks about his back, ball-handling, and quickness. Young might not be better than Rozier. Bamba is raw and might never develop without a firm system and culture in place.

They could hold on to the pick until draft night to see if one of the top 4 drops, but when that doesn't happen, they might rather have a 23 year old two-way point guard who played like an NBA starter in the playoffs and is on a team-controlled contract for the next 5-6 years.
Rozier + Yabu + #27 to the Magic for (let's say) #5

Who says no?

(probably the Magic :P, but it may be worth a try)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:59:32 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

My long answer

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

Mikal Bridges is a 190lb guard, Miles Bridges is the 230-235lb forward. Not sure if you've got them mixed up (God knows I do), but Mikal will never be a PF
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

My long answer

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

Mikal has the length (reportedly 7'2 wingspan ) but not the strength to play up a position. Miles Bridges has the strength but lacks the length.

If you look at the NBA in 4 positions Guard, Wing (2/3), Swing (3/4) and Big. I would say Mikal is firmly a wing similar to Otto Porter of Tatum (this year). The hope with Tatum is that his youth two years younger then Mikal and wide shoulders allow him to fill out into the 230s.

Miles has the same height and length measurable as Jae Crowder while he might be around 10lbs lighter then Jae he is fare more explosive. This strength and explosiveness should allow him to switch onto bigger players without getting run over.

Later in the first Round Keita Bates-Diop is another player who is thin but still at least 25lbs heavier then Mikal with a reported 7'3 wingspan who could play the swing man position for the Cs.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This thread is full of a fallacies

Ainge is not going to trade Rozier for a guy who will need to hit the weight room for a couple of years and who can't spread the floor.   So kiss Bamba and Noel goodbye, they are not our type of guys and do not fit our system.   There is also the lack of toughness from both of them.   We have a tough team now and are looking for certain types of players.   I think this off season this team has found it's identity.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

My long answer

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

Mikal Bridges is a 190lb guard, Miles Bridges is the 230-235lb forward. Not sure if you've got them mixed up (God knows I do), but Mikal will never be a PF

190? No he's not.. he's been a reported 207 pounds by draft express and Villanova website.

My long answer

Bamba
Young
Bridges
Bridges
Carter 

Mikal has the length (reportedly 7'2 wingspan ) but not the strength to play up a position. Miles Bridges has the strength but lacks the length.

If you look at the NBA in 4 positions Guard, Wing (2/3), Swing (3/4) and Big. I would say Mikal is firmly a wing similar to Otto Porter of Tatum (this year). The hope with Tatum is that his youth two years younger then Mikal and wide shoulders allow him to fill out into the 230s.

Miles has the same height and length measurable as Jae Crowder while he might be around 10lbs lighter then Jae he is fare more explosive. This strength and explosiveness should allow him to switch onto bigger players without getting run over.

Later in the first Round Keita Bates-Diop is another player who is thin but still at least 25lbs heavier then Mikal with a reported 7'3 wingspan who could play the swing man position for the Cs.   

I like Keira, but I think if Bridges adds 5 more pounds, he'll be at a weight disadvantage, but his length and high defensive IQ will allow him to switch on everything.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ainge is not going to trade Rozier for a guy who will need to hit the weight room for a couple of years and who can't spread the floor.   So kiss Bamba and Noel goodbye, they are not our type of guys and do not fit our system.   There is also the lack of toughness from both of them.   We have a tough team now and are looking for certain types of players.   I think this off season this team has found it's identity.
pretty much agree with this.

Noel doesn't bring enough on offense.  Bambi's a bean pole who will likely need 2 years to start filling out and his offense isn't much to speak of.

I truly think the best option for next year is to run it back with Rozier, Smart and Baynes.  Keep Rozier.  Use the MLE on Baynes if he'll take it.  Resign Smart to a reasonable deal.  I don't see him commanding $15 mill per year.  very likely MLE to $10 mill per year.

Kyrie, Hayward, Al, Brown, Tatum is a really strong starting 5.  Add Morris, Rozier, Smart and Baynes as the primary guys off the bench and that's a contender.  A year of development with Semi and Yabu will help.  Bird might be good enough to bring in as an end of bench guy as well. 

Nader, Monroe and possibly Allen are moving on.  C's should be able to get a vet min player or 2 to add for more depth.   C's don't really need to throw players and picks at a prospect who's a known project

Decide what to do with Rozier the following offseason.  Let's take a run at the championship with him having another year to develop consistency and provide a potent 1-2 punch with Smart off the bench for the backcourt.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe if Rozier has another good series a package can be made to get a high pick. Say Rozier, Morris, Yab and pick 27. But Rozier has to do well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:05:51 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If Bamba is Rudy Gobert, this makes perfect sense, but I think he's measurably less. If anything I think Gobert's success might be inflating his stock a little.

Depending on the price, I'd take him as a project, but I'd feel a lot better about him if he slipped to 10+ and we could pay less.

Now this is wildly unlikely, but the real prize would be pulling the same coup we just did (getting the best player in the draft included in a trade). For example:

Rozier + BOS18 + SAC19 (or #2/#3 this year) + MEM19 for #1 (Ayton)

Any sort of godfather offer that gets us Ayton, if you believe he's close to Embiid talent, would be a coup de grace on building a contender. Brown - Tatum - Ayton would be an awesome 3 year run in the draft.

starters: Irving/ Hayward/ Tatum/ Horford/ Ayton
bench: Smart, Brown, Morris, Theis, Baynes

vets: Horford, Hayward, Irving
youngins: Tatum, Brown, Ayton
role players: Smart, Morris, Theis, Baynes

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

On Bamba...

Tatum was also considered a player that was skinny and that didn't deter Ainge from taking him. In addition, I'm not sure why you think Bamba can't spread the floor. He shot 27.5% from 3, which isn't bad for a still developing big, and his 68.1% from the FT line also shows that his shooting touch is there.

To be honest, I'm not sure if getting Bamba is attainable, but dismissing it because you think Ainge won't move Rozier for him is really shortsighted and not thinking about Rozier's contract next summer.

Here is a recent video of Bamba shooting 3's. Nice compact stroke and great follow through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOrdk_H2-s

Here are the Ainge's and Zarren watching Bamba...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:32:50 PM by Eddie20 »