Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 418141 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #660 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't want to bore you with the details of what denotes traditional storytelling but multiple narrators is not particularly atypical, even in the genre of fantasy.

The fact that you don't understand what that means is not the same as happily disagreeing.
No go ahead please continue to bore me... ::)

I'm sorry that you get bored when people attempt to explain things to you. Perhaps this is why you have an incorrect view of what constitutes "traditional storytelling."

But, you know, that Geoffrey Chaucer and his multiple perspectives, very cutting edge stuff. Frame stories are totally next-level.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #661 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't want to bore you with the details of what denotes traditional storytelling but multiple narrators is not particularly atypical, even in the genre of fantasy.

The fact that you don't understand what that means is not the same as happily disagreeing.
No go ahead please continue to bore me... ::)

I'm sorry that you get bored when people attempt to explain things to you. Perhaps this is why you have an incorrect view of what constitutes "traditional storytelling."

But, you know, that Geoffrey Chaucer and his multiple perspectives, very cutting edge stuff. Frame stories are totally next-level.
Oh yes and to you if it's a character and a plot it's traditional story. Ya I got that lol  Analyzing actual  things like character growth, roles and material writen that shows more evolution and diversity is over your head. Because Tyrion "can leave at any time".

« Reply #662 on: September 19, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
So it's a reading comprehension problem. Go figure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #663 on: September 19, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
So it's a reading comprehension problem. Go figure.
No its not you just don't like being wrong.

« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
 ::)

« Reply #665 on: September 20, 2015, 01:51:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
::)
Seriously I know now why people messenge me that your tag is DOS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:37:16 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #666 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
When you post something like:
Traditional story telling is done from a single point of view as the main character or via omnipotent narration. Which is not the case here.

There's not much to do except sigh and shrug, particularly since I've tried to explain where you've been mistaken and you just 'lol' your way towards missing the point, again.

To the above post: I don't care if stupid people think I'm a jerk.  Sorry if that rustles your jimmies, but it's true. Smart posts merit smart responses.  Others, well, not so much.

« Reply #667 on: September 20, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
When you post something like:
Traditional story telling is done from a single point of view as the main character or via omnipotent narration. Which is not the case here.

There's not much to do except sigh and shrug, particularly since I've tried to explain where you've been mistaken and you just 'lol' your way towards missing the point, again.

To the above post: I don't care if stupid people think I'm a jerk.  Sorry if that rustles your jimmies, but it's true. Smart posts merit smart responses.  Others, well, not so much.
They are not smart when it isn't directly addressing valid counter  points, but going off on a tangent. And followed by a rude comment. It's b to the s and evasive. It's like the NFL lawyers when sited MLB case without coming to terms on the details.

« Reply #668 on: September 20, 2015, 03:19:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
A) Cited, not sited.
B) I didn't comment on it earlier, but "untraditional"?
C) I would have to encounter an actual counterpoint in order to address it.

I am glad you enjoy the show and the books. Please don't take it badly when I tell you that it seems like you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to narrative structure.

« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Guys always like the think that their authors are unique, DOS.  This is almost never the case.   Everyone borrows from somebody.

GRRM loves Tolkien, and while his writing is more visceral, and more morally grey.  He has even said, he wants a bittersweet ending like the Scourging of the Shire and a PTSD Frodo.

Multiple POV  is nothing new either

https://www.librarything.com/topic/77880

though I think it has become popular due to Martin's success

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/multiple-pov

« Reply #670 on: September 20, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
A) Cited, not sited.
B) I didn't comment on it earlier, but "untraditional"?
C) I would have to encounter an actual counterpoint in order to address it.

I am glad you enjoy the show and the books. Please don't take it badly when I tell you that it seems like you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to narrative structure.
Oh great let's go off even more from the point and talk about choice words and missed used synoyms. You proved my point.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:56:59 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #671 on: September 20, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Guys always like the think that their authors are unique, DOS.  This is almost never the case.   Everyone borrows from somebody.

GRRM loves Tolkien, and while his writing is more visceral, and more morally grey.  He has even said, he wants a bittersweet ending like the Scourging of the Shire and a PTSD Frodo.

Multiple POV  is nothing new either

https://www.librarything.com/topic/77880

though I think it has become popular due to Martin's success

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/multiple-pov
No one is saying it is unique. Don't try to put words in my mouth or make this a different debate. The fact that there are multiple stories means there can be multiple main characters. I was pointing out that the story has one character that seems to be involved in each characters story. Tyrion, and given his travels and experience he can be considered the main character of the whole book. Dos is stuck on Jon and it's blasphemy suggesting KH isn't the star.

« Reply #672 on: September 20, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I haven't said anything about Jon Snow this entire time. You're out of your depth.

Alternatively:

« Reply #673 on: September 20, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Ahem...I don't put on the mod hat very often anymore, but we do seem to be getting more towards the personal side, and less about the main topic (or even the sidebar debate).  For the love of Ned Stark, can we please move on.  Thanks.
Yup

« Reply #674 on: September 20, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I haven't said anything about Jon Snow this entire time. You're out of your depth.

Alternatively:

KH specifically no but Jon oh yes you did. The KH thing was a joke obviously. And you admitted to multiple main characters and to if Tyrion is a rider then he can be the main character. So it's silly to keep going back and forth. You are stuck on he must defeat the great bad of the book to be your guy. We don't even know who will stop the White Walkers or even if they are stopped. You shouldn't go solely on white walkers premise. Its pretty clear Tyrion will be involved with that battle in the end anyways.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:56:22 AM by Csfan1984 »