Poll

How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?

I participate in them regularly
21 (39.6%)
I don't participate in them, but I like to follow them
3 (5.7%)
I'd like to participate in them, but they're intimidating
3 (5.7%)
I don't participate in them, but they don't bother me
15 (28.3%)
I don't participate in them, and they annoy me
11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Poll: How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?  (Read 17791 times)

Re: Poll: How do you feel about the various "drafts" on CelticsBlog?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
There's too many of them.  I love most of the concepts but I think maybe some sort of rotation should be established to minimize overlap.  Perhaps making some of the drafts every other year rather than every year.  That also gives you more time to try and remain fresh in terms of establishing new rules or changes.  More time in between to think things over.  For example, rotate the Pick 2 & Historical drafts every other year.  CB Draft is a tough one to call since that one really is the Wrestlemania of drafts. 

The draft stuff definitely clogs up the "Latest Forum Topics".  Also, since this DKC thing is year round, there really should be a moratorium placed on that league during other drafts so you don't have two things hitting "Latest Forum Topics" at the same time.

I was under the impression that the Pick Two Draft was going to start next week?

We'd planned to announce a slow-down for the DKC after this week, once our voting period was concluded. Will probably still happen, although I don't like the idea of completely locking that thread up, despite the advice of SO and IP.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think they can dominate the latest forum topic list too much.  It would be nice if the threads weren't in ALL CAPS.  They'd be easier to ignore that way.

Understandable. Can fix.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's too many of them.  I love most of the concepts but I think maybe some sort of rotation should be established to minimize overlap.  Perhaps making some of the drafts every other year rather than every year.  That also gives you more time to try and remain fresh in terms of establishing new rules or changes.  More time in between to think things over.  For example, rotate the Pick 2 & Historical drafts every other year.  CB Draft is a tough one to call since that one really is the Wrestlemania of drafts. 

The draft stuff definitely clogs up the "Latest Forum Topics".  Also, since this DKC thing is year round, there really should be a moratorium placed on that league during other drafts so you don't have two things hitting "Latest Forum Topics" at the same time.

I was under the impression that the Pick Two Draft was going to start next week?

We'd planned to announce a slow-down for the DKC after this week, once our voting period was concluded. Will probably still happen, although I don't like the idea of completely locking that thread up, despite the advice of SO and IP.

Pretty sure Pick Two is off & runniing.

Essentially, I see the moratorium working twofold;

1) Puts the other draft in the limelight for that 2-3 week span it's going on.  You guys are year-round.  Does taking off a couple of weeks here & there really do anything?  You guys control the league so everything is within your hands, correct?

2) Puts less items in the "Latest Forums Topics"

It's cool that you guys have been able to put together a year round thing.  I just think if the blog is doing one of their "seasonal" drafts (Historical, Pick Two, or CB), it isn't asking too much to have DKC shut down things for a little bit.  You're still going to be out there running 48 out of 52 weeks or whatever it ends up being.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I like them. I'm an armchair GM so they fit my style. CB draft and DKC are my favorite.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
They annoy me too.  I almost started a thread on it a few weeks back, but didn't want to sound like a jerk. :) I think this could easily be solved by giving DKC it's own forum.  There's been many times I've been on my phone (trying to read forum topics), and my fat fingers enter a DKC thread instead of the latest Rondo thread.  :P

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Hey Dons,

Some clarity on Lucky's comment. We usually do shut down in respect of seasonal drafts. At the very least we make sure no transactions can be made.

The issue with the pick 2 draft is that they had originally announced that they were going to start next Monday after having some difficulty getting people to sign up. Attendance eventually boosted, and they decided to push it back up - but after we had made quite a few announcements regarding dates we had set up with the original starting point in mind.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think they can dominate the latest forum topic list too much.  It would be nice if the threads weren't in ALL CAPS.  They'd be easier to ignore that way.

Understandable. Can fix.

An immediate improvement.  Thanks!

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm quite surprised about some of the negative feedback.

Is it overly difficult to not click on something?

Not trying to sound snarky but it drives me crazy when somebody will make a trade proposal and then somebody will make a comment like "this trade is dumb. Never going to happen"...

It's like, if you don't want to participate in the threads contents then simply don't click on it.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hey Dons,

Some clarity on Lucky's comment. We usually do shut down in respect of seasonal drafts. At the very least we make sure no transactions can be made.

The issue with the pick 2 draft is that they had originally announced that they were going to start next Monday after having some difficulty getting people to sign up. Attendance eventually boosted, and they decided to push it back up - but after we had made quite a few announcements regarding dates we had set up with the original starting point in mind.

Ah, gotcha.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38

Not trying to sound snarky but it drives me crazy when somebody will make a trade proposal and then somebody will make a comment like "this trade is dumb. Never going to happen"...

It's like, if you don't want to participate in the threads contents then simply don't click on it.

BleedGreen1989 - Honestly, it seems like every other thread is a DKC thread. I think it's great that so many people are involved in it, but it has nothing to do with the Celtics.  Fantasy league type stuff should have its own forum, imho.  I mean, is this Celticsblog or DKCblog?

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why not a separate section for just this stuff?

This may or may not be in the works. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I thought it had its own section?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I participate regularly AND they annoy the hell out of me.

Huh, no place to vote that particular POV.

That's why you can vote twice.  8)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I thought it had its own section?

To spill the beans...  We've been working on a "freshening up" of the forums.  One of the changes will be giving Draft threads there own separate Latest Forum Topics menu, so they all stay in one place.

We were hoping to have all of this rolled out by March 1, but stuff happens.  Hopefully by the end of the regular season that will be in place, along with a lot of cosmetic changes / bug fixes.

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Agreed.

I hardly ever even pay attention to the 'latest forum topics'. Relying on that to direct your interest or attention seems lazy.