Poll

Would You Trade Tatum In A Bigger Package If It Meant Acquiring The Greek Freak?

Yes
64 (58.7%)
No
45 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?  (Read 18921 times)

Re: Purely Hypothetical: Would You Trade Tatum In Package For Greek Freak?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I would not trade Tatum for anyone because his value is the lowest it will ever be. And it's not just an age thing of rookies will always grow and become better. For example, I believe that Jaylen Browns value is the highest it will ever be right now. I don't consider him to be more than a good starter because he doesn't have the killer instinct to be the guy, but some GMs still think that he has star potential.

If it's Giannis for Tatum straight up in a hypothetical world where it's legal, sure. But you'd have to throw in picks, players, the kitchen sink. It's just not worth it.

I dont want to get off topic here but Jaylen Brown in his time in the league has dunked over Lebron, clapped in Currys face, flexed on Cousins and blew kisses at the 76ers bench. I think he has plenty of killer instinct.

And yet he's shooting well under league average in FGs % both 0-3 ft and 3-10 ft from rim. For someone as athletic as him, that's a red flag. I'm not talking about attitude. Lance Stephenson does that garbage as well. I'm talking about I have the ball and I'm going to take it down your throat.

I'm sorry to blow the dreams of all, but he's a very average offensive player so far. I'm seeing very little signs of superstar. I'd trade him in the package because some GM might be fooled in thinking he's a franchise player based on the handful of amazing plays he's done. He needs much more consistency to convince me.

He's shooting 63% from 0-3 feet, 26% from 3-10, 45% from 10-16, 47% from 16-3PT and 38% from 3PT.

He's only attempted 62 shots from 3-10 all year. Overall he's giving us 14 points on 11 FGA. Sure, superstar or franchise player is a lot to ask, but he's above average at age 21 and projects to a 20+ guy in his prime.

Those numbers are below league average, as I mentioned. Points are up due to usage going up. He hasn't improved much offensively. Advanced analytics shows it.

I would not trade Tatum for anyone because his value is the lowest it will ever be. And it's not just an age thing of rookies will always grow and become better. For example, I believe that Jaylen Browns value is the highest it will ever be right now. I don't consider him to be more than a good starter because he doesn't have the killer instinct to be the guy, but some GMs still think that he has star potential.

If it's Giannis for Tatum straight up in a hypothetical world where it's legal, sure. But you'd have to throw in picks, players, the kitchen sink. It's just not worth it.
Brown's value is as high as it ever will be?
Half way through his second year?
At 21?
After being about the most improved player in the league this year?
After tremendously improving his defense, outside shooting, handle, aggressiveness, and ability to finish in traffic?

Wow! Talk about a hot take!

There's a difference between trade value and performance/ability. His trade value is very high right now because people are buying into the potential. I don't think his trade value will go up much more than it is right now. He could currently fetch a ~5-10ish 1st rounder or be a piece of a larger package. His performance/ability will surely improve, though. Right now he's an average starter and he should trend towards above average starter. Superstar or any kind of star?... Unlikely.

Your adverbs are just as hot as my take, btw. Good thing there are stats to disprove them. While his 0-3 went up 2%, his 3-10 went down 13%! His turnovers per 36 minutes have also gone up. Defense has statistically improved. Not sure about tremendous, though. He went from -1 DBPM to 1 DBPM. While thats a large improvement, he technically went from slightly below average to slightly above average. We're also boasting huge DBPM numbers across the board (Kyrie Irving also had a +2 jump -2.3 to -0.4). The correlation seems to be the system and not the specific player. Most improved player? By which metric? That award will surely go to Oladipo. Not sure if anyone is even in the same stratosphere.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:04:54 PM by Erik »

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
In a freaking minute. Giannis is an MVP candidate already, still super young, and under a nice team friendly contract.

Irving-Brown-Hayward-Giannis-Horford...drool

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This is the purest example of green tinted glasses I've ever witnessed. C'mon guys. You're being ridiculous.

Giannis is a top 5 player in the league right now. At the tippity top of his peak, Tatum could maybe reach that. I like the kid too, but Giannis is in another stratosphere.

Top 5? I think he's close, but I think (in no order) Lebron, Harden, Durant, Davis, Curry, and a healthy Kawhi are above him as of now. But by next year, he should be Top-5.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is the purest example of green tinted glasses I've ever witnessed. C'mon guys. You're being ridiculous.

Giannis is a top 5 player in the league right now. At the tippity top of his peak, Tatum could maybe reach that. I like the kid too, but Giannis is in another stratosphere.

Top 5? I think he's close, but I think (in no order) Lebron, Harden, Durant, Davis, Curry, and a healthy Kawhi are above him as of now. But by next year, he should be Top-5.
I have Giannis at 4 behind James, Durant, and Curry.  I think he is a better overall player than Harden, Davis, and Leonard right now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I have Giannis at 4 behind James, Durant, and Curry.  I think he is a better overall player than Harden, Davis, and Leonard right now.

Fair enough.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fair enough.
either way it would be insane not to trade Tatum for him. 

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Fair enough.
Giannis can't shoot a 3 to save his life, Tatum is one of the best already as a 19 rookie
it's laughable to trade Tatum for him straight

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fair enough.
Giannis can't shoot a 3 to save his life, Tatum is one of the best already as a 19 rookie
Ah yes, because a 3 is all there is in basketball.  4 of Larry Bird's first 5 season he shot less than 29% from three.  Magic Johnson had multiple seasons under 20% from three.  Michael Jordan shot under 19% his first four seasons and had multiple other season where he never even cracked 30%.  heck the reigning league MVP has had 4 seasons under 30% and is barely above that number this year. 

But hey Kyle Korver can shoot the ball great, so he must be better than those guys.  (and no I'm not saying Tatum will end up like Korver, I was using a hyperbole to prove a point). 

There is more to basketball then shooting the 3. 

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes. Heck yes.

Tatum is a special player, but Giannis is slowly crossing the "best in the world" line, and he's only 22. I would not hesitate trading Tatum and whatever else it takes to get Antetokounmpo.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I really, really like Giannis.  But I just can't get behind a player who can't shoot the 3 ball in the modern NBA.  I think with the Lakers pick you could draft a player who has the upside to be similar to Giannis in Marvin Bagley. 

Tatum is a totally different kind of player, he could be a mix of Paul Pierce and Melo by the time he has done developing.  That's also an offensive superstar but of a different kind entirely.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
To think we traded up in that draft for Kelly Olynyk instead of him. I’m not going to  stand on my soap box, but I’m going going to stand on my soap box.... lol.... I wanted the Cs to draft him from the get. At that point we were still searching for a GO TO high upside player. I don’t think Kelly ever had that written all over him like Giannis. Yes he was boom or bust... but now look.

With that said... I wouldn’t trade Tatum for anyone aside from Lebron, Durant, and I would kind of be upset if we did for Towns or AD. Everyone else... I’d rather see why we got in this kid. If he starts being more aggressive, and gains some weight I.E finishes at the rim and is stronger on defense... he’s a bonified superstar/ hall of fame type player. He’s that skilled already.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Fair enough.
Ah yes, because a 3 is all there is in basketball.  4 of Larry Bird's first 5 season he shot less than 29% from three.  Magic Johnson had multiple seasons under 20% from three.  Michael Jordan shot under 19% his first four seasons and had multiple other season where he never even cracked 30%.  heck the reigning league MVP has had 4 seasons under 30% and is barely above that number this year. 

But hey Kyle Korver can shoot the ball great, so he must be better than those guys.  (and no I'm not saying Tatum will end up like Korver, I was using a hyperbole to prove a point). 

This is modern NBA we are talking about and you can not survive without the 3

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Honestly I can't believe this is even a debate.

I'll put it this way... If Ainge has a shot at Giannis he would give up a LOT to bring him here. Tatum would easily be a part of the package - I doubt he'd give it a second thought.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fair enough.

This is modern NBA we are talking about and you can not survive without the 3
of course you can.

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Sure.

But you would also have to include one of our three maxes in the deal.

EDIT: just to be sure in case this thread gets resurrected in 3 years or something. "Sure" goes to the hypothetical of trading Tatum for Giannis.

A real life scenario  where we would have to match salaries (and satisfy the Bucks demands)  is much more complicated to discuss.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:34:25 PM by greece666 »