Author Topic: Jemele Hill out at ESPN  (Read 31155 times)

Re: Jemele Hill out at ESPN
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
She really was an odd fit at ESPN. She needs to have a social commentary show on HBO or Netflix or something. ESPN seems to be getting away from politics, which is probably the right move..

I dont understand why. Sports and Politics have ALWAYS been intertwined.

Not really. ESPN used to be highlights and Chris Berman yelling on Sportscenter. Not what is the societal impact of the racism of NFL fans.

In a telling twist, ESPN is trying to bring Berman back in a bigger role. ESPN going back to what made it popular in the first place..

It's pretty hard not to talk about one without the other especially considering its 24 hrs worth of Sports topics. NBA players especially are way more socially involved today than they were. It would be doing them a disservice to just ONLY talk about their stats versus the greater impact they are making off the court.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
She really was an odd fit at ESPN. She needs to have a social commentary show on HBO or Netflix or something. ESPN seems to be getting away from politics, which is probably the right move..

Not really. ESPN used to be highlights and Chris Berman yelling on Sportscenter. Not what is the societal impact of the racism of NFL fans.

In a telling twist, ESPN is trying to bring Berman back in a bigger role. ESPN going back to what made it popular in the first place..

It's pretty hard not to talk about one without the other especially considering its 24 hrs worth of Sports topics. NBA players especially are way more socially involved today than they were. It would be doing them a disservice to just ONLY talk about their stats versus the greater impact they are making off the court.

There are other platforms for that type of activity. The fundamental fact is that sports fans are becoming increasingly resentful of the way politics is force fed through sports today, especially when its so one-sided. They watch sports to GET AWAY from Trump is the devil blah blah blah...

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday

There are other platforms for that type of activity. The fundamental fact is that sports fans are becoming increasingly resentful of the way politics is force fed through sports today, especially when its so one-sided. They watch sports to GET AWAY from Trump is the devil blah blah blah...

Aka white people who don't want to hear about the issues people of color (aka most of NBA/NFL) have to ACTUALLY deal with everyday.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good Afternoon, CelticsBlog.

These posts / thoughts are for greece666, Celtics4ever and anyone else with a different POV about Ms. Jemele Hill -

I suggest folks READ this article. While it doesn't have ANY comments from him specifically WHY he chose to do some things the way he did it should provoke some thought:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/10/07/why-was-boston-garden-nearly-empty-when-bill-russell-number-was-retired/f2hGuHb1tEJiirpOOBeqcP/story.html

When Bill had his private "number retirement" ceremony why did he choose to make it private? This was 1972...I was only 3 years old then.

This man suffered a LOT during his time in BOS - for "US" fans to NOW brag about his championships to Laker Fans and rub it in their faces continuously.

Some of YOU ALL choose to IGNORE this.....OR perhaps you've buried your heads (and souls) in the sand.

Perhaps "THIS" was what my fellow African American classmates in high school talked about - during the 80s. Their "ribbing" of me was mostly pleasant and joking but it was serious enough for them to TRULY WONDER -

"Man, how can YOU (a Black Man) like BOSTON?"

This thought was SERIOUS enough to even NOW take to heart. ALL of my classmates were smart, thoughtful and clearly expressed their POV about reality as they saw it back then.

I won't go into specifics about me becoming a Celtics Fan in 1981 because - frankly - I've already discussed that on here Ad Infinitum.

But there is something to be said about the commentary THEN - as it is NOW. Why a fanbase can be so seemingly unforgiving to Ms Jemele Hill about an ignorant comment she said WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back in 2008?

Some of you act like BOS was NEVER racist. Act like it's NOT racist NOW - which is FOOLISH. Ignorance and bigotry resides EVERYWHERE, not just BOSTON.

But let's not EXCLUDE BOS.

Finally - here is yet ANOTHER POV article from SEVERAL folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/03/a-flea-market-of-racism-black-athletes-on-playing-in-boston-over-the-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a32307e7ea0e

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Aka white people who don't want to hear about the issues people of color (aka most of NBA/NFL) have to ACTUALLY deal with everyday.

Right. I mean it must be horrible to be paid more per game then most people make in a year, and live in a country so racist and corrupt it allows you to have $300mm deals with Nike.

It's never going to resonate with the average American man, who just wants to watch his favorite team kick another team's arse..

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Bill Russell, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Lisa Olsen, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, etc etc etc.

It is true that Sportscenter used to be much more about highlights (part of why I don't watch it much anymore) but they didn't move away from that due to any agenda outside of the usual conspiracy to try and make money.

In the 80s and early 90s you could only get video highlights and scores from the local news, maybe a handful of syndicated highlight shows (hello George Michael Sports Machine!). When everyone got the Internet, everyone could get highlights, and they didn't have to wait til 6 PM or whenever. So ESPN moved toward content they could exclusively provide, which meant a lot of punditry, "takes", and yes social issues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:40:34 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Muhammad Ali, Bill Russell, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Lisa Olsen, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, etc etc etc.

It is true that Sportscenter used to be much more about highlights (part of why I don't watch it much anymore) but they didn't move away from that due to any agenda outside of the usual conspiracy to try and make money.

In the 80s and early 90s you could only get video highlights and scores from the local news, maybe a handful of syndicated highlight shows (hello George Michael Sports Machine!). When everyone got the Internet, everyone could get highlights, and they didn't have to wait til 6 PM or whenever. So ESPN moved toward content they could exclusively provide, which meant a lot of punditry, "takes", and yes social issues.

Right, and the move away from political commentary is driven no doubt by a desire to win back a number of the viewers they've alienated with strident left-wing politics. Just business..

And let's no cry tears for Hill. She's getting paid $2.5mm to go away. I wish I could be that discriminated against.

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday

Right. I mean it must be horrible to be paid more per game then most people make in a year, and live in a country so racist and corrupt it allows you to have $300mm deals with Nike.

It's never going to resonate with the average American man, who just wants to watch his favorite team kick another team's arse..

It DOES resonate with the average black person in America whose dealing with these injustices on the daily. To see one of us who "made it" stand up for the rest of us and speak out is inspiring and creates awareness. It's not always about you.

Sorry taking a knee or discussing politics during ESPN is ruining your NFL season bud.  ::)

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Bill Russell, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Lisa Olsen, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, etc etc etc.

Right, and the move away from political commentary is driven no doubt by a desire to win back a number of the viewers they've alienated with strident left-wing politics. Just business..

Their ratings have dropped at about the same rate as most other major cable channels - it's a shift in the media landscape and it's hitting everyone from the last version. 

Shallow grievance and self-appointed victimhood from vocal right-wingers is much more of a constant than a variable, so I doubt anything will change much on that front.  My point was just that politics has absolutely always been intertwined with sports whether Chris Berman was on TV or not.

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

When they fired Schilling was that attempting to win back a number of the viewers they alienated with their strident right-wing politics?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Their ratings have dropped at about the same rate as most other major cable channels - it's a shift in the media landscape and it's hitting everyone from the last version. 

Shallow grievance and self-appointed victimhood from vocal right-wingers is much more of a constant than a variable, so I doubt anything will change much on that front.  My point was just that politics has absolutely always been intertwined with sports whether Chris Berman was on TV or not.

Not really to the degree WokeCenter was taking it however. Not at all coincidentally of course, ESPN has a new boss who recognized the utter disaster he inherited from Skipper who killed Mike and Mike (most successful sports talk show ever) and initiated "Get Up", "High Noon", and "SC6", the three biggest disasters in ESPN history. Also not coincidentally, these featured strident left-wingism and are all now on the chopping block (thank god).

Whatever one thinks of Jemele Hil and her politics, it just doesn't sell with sports fans. That's just the basic fact an no amount of butthurt tweeting will change that..

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If they could get athletes from right wing and left wing ideologies to honestly talk about these issues together on TV from a personal perspective, that could win over some viewers.

Bill Russell's books describing the racism he dealt with in his life and career, particularly back in the days when he was young, are fantastic. If you could get him to go on tv and talk about those days compared to today with current athletes from both the left and the right, that could be a great show.

Get Doc Rivers on there to talk about how it was to work for Donald Sterling, and wether he thinks Boston is a racist city.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Not really to the degree WokeCenter was taking it however. Not at all coincidentally of course, ESPN has a new boss who recognized the utter disaster he inherited from Skipper who killed Mike and Mike (most successful sports talk show ever) and initiated "Get Up", "High Noon", and "SC6", the three biggest disasters in ESPN history. Also not coincidentally, these featured strident left-wingism and are all now on the chopping block (thank god).

Whatever one thinks of Jemele Hil and her politics, it just doesn't sell with sports fans. That's just the basic fact an no amount of butthurt tweeting will change that..

What do you propose ESPN can offer as original content that can win back viewers? Its a valid, hard reality that the days of people going to TV channels for highlight shows like Sportscenter are long gone and never coming back. They have to offer something new to win back viewers, not just a TV version of sports radio.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

What do you propose ESPN can offer as original content that can win back viewers? Its a valid, hard reality that the days of people going to TV channels for highlight shows like Sportscenter are long gone and never coming back. They have to offer something new to win back viewers, not just a TV version of sports radio.

Sportscenter was fine just the way it was. It was declining in viewers any more than any other show. It's the rock of the channel. Why does anything need to be fixed?

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Sportscenter was fine just the way it was. It was declining in viewers any more than any other show. It's the rock of the channel. Why does anything need to be fixed?

It has fallen tremendously from its heyday. That's not debatable. Losing money is never an acceptable solution for any of these companies.

I asked for a proposed solution since you are adamant that political commentary based shows is not an option for you. What new types of shows or innovative ways to win back viewers do you propose?

I think political discussion type shows using athletes is a viable option, they just need to take the bias out of it and show both sides with some honest discussion.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:03:27 PM by hpantazo »