Author Topic: 2020 Mock Draft 1ish month out  (Read 20610 times)

Re: 2020 Mock Draft 1ish month out
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 10:17:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sure what to make of the Woodard pick

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-jumps-up-to-no-1-selection-by-the-timberwolves-in-first-two-round-mock/

The CBS mock has us landing Lewis and Tilman as well.

This mock is puzzling, but that's why they're called mock drafts I guess....but just because every year on draft night you see puzzling picks made, doesn't mean mockers have to purposely make puzzling mocks hehe...

1.  There's no way Minny takes Cole Anthony at 16 after taking Lamelo at 1.  Unless they want to trade one of them.  Of course it could work, but why go there...just no.

2.  There's no way the Heat settle for Tre Jones.  Too much upside left on the board.  Maxey for example.  What would really depress me, if Miami does go for solidity over potential, is if they took Tillman.  Yeah that would bum me out (even if C's don't take Tillman, I don't want him on the Heat).

3. There's no way Tyrell Terry lasts all the way to 35. Too much hype. Too much offense.

Those are my nitpicks of this mock.

I have settled on Saddiq Bey as my backup binkie if we don't luck into Vassell or Patrick Williams.
Why?  Because I hear things like, versatile defender and "the ball doesn't stick in his hands".  Add the three point shooting and I'm sold. But I'll get excited about anyone Danny picks...Still lots of potential in the guys around 14. 

As for later picks, I would think if the C's like Tillman they'd take him at 26 not Woodard.  And Woodard at 30.  But I would go Tillman at 26 and Ramsey at 30 if this mock plays out correctly.

Thus our night would be Saddiq Bey, Tillman, Ramsey

(projecting Ramsey to take a full year before he starts to get meaningful minutes.....as he'll be used as a combo and will need some adequate distribution skills)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:35:40 AM by wiley »

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-jumps-up-to-no-1-selection-by-the-timberwolves-in-first-two-round-mock/

I was surprised to see Tyrell Terry mocked in the early 2nd round.

I also like the Merrill pick in the second. Him or Tillie would be fine by me. We really need to draft (or trade for) a pure shooter. The comment of Merrill being in the 90th percentile as a shooter in pick 'n roll, spot ups and off isolation is a good sign.

2nd edit: Tillie, IMO, is a better prospect than Olynyk. If not for so many injuries he would be a mid-first pick. The injuries will keep him out of the 1st round.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:10:08 PM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I was surprised to see Tyrell Terry mocked in the early 2nd round.

I also like the Merrill pick in the second. Him or Tillie would be fine by me. We really need to draft (or trade for) a pure shooter. The comment of Merrill being in the 90th percentile as a shooter in pick 'n roll, spot ups and off isolation is a good sign.

2nd edit: Tillie, IMO, is a better prospect than Olynyk. If not for so many injuries he would be a mid-first pick. The injuries will keep him out of the 1st round.
Terry being picked 35th is strange given they have him ranked 20th as a prospect.  Hard to see him falling out of the 1st. 

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
There are quite a few guys that I really like in this draft, Good list: Reed, Bane, Stanley, Quickly, Tillie, Pritchard, Oh, maybe I like the whole list....  ;D

Here's that list of players who have "met" with the Celtics as of Tuesday, as reported by Grenham:

Cassius Stanley, G, Duke

Immanuel Quickley, G, Kentucky

Grant Riller, G, College of Charleston

Paul Reed, F, DePaul

Jay Scrubb, G, John A. Logan College

Daniel Oturu, F, Minnesota

Killian Tillie, F, Gonzaga

Payton Pritchard, G, Oregon

Naji Marshall, F, Xavier

Xavier Tillman, F, Michigan State

Desmond Bane, G, TCU

Tyrell Terry, G, Stanford

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This dude sounds like he should be a generic draftee in one of the old NBA video games. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Almost everything I read about Tillman is super positive. Why is he slipping so far in mock drafts? Is it only because he’s seen as a role player?

He seems to have a body and athleticism that will work fine in the league, and seems to be a competitor with a great work ethic. 

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 06:18:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Almost everything I read about Tillman is super positive. Why is he slipping so far in mock drafts? Is it only because he’s seen as a role player?

He seems to have a body and athleticism that will work fine in the league, and seems to be a competitor with a great work ethic.
There’s a couple of things that basically make him very unfashionable. He’s not overly big, he’s not particularly explosive, he’s not a shooter, he’s nearly 22 and he’s not a very assertive offensive force.

I think his ceiling isn’t viewed as particularly high, but I think he’ll be a really good contributor for a decade. Reminds me of Grant Williams in that he’s not an athletic prototype for his position but it won’t matter. Tillman has the BBIQ on both ends to be great fun
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 06:28:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't see the attraction.  He's a junior.  He's a short center with modest athleticism.  His offense is pretty much limited to post play.  His ceiling is certainly role player.  But what role does he play in the modern NBA and specifically on the Celtics?  Don't see a reason to give him time over  Williams and Williams. 

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know it doesn't make sense to predict trades in a mock draft, but I would be shocked if Danny uses all three first round picks in this draft.

I think it's more likely the Celts don't end up with any players to add to next year's roster out of this draft than that they end up with 3+.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't see the attraction.  He's a junior.  He's a short center with modest athleticism.  His offense is pretty much limited to post play.  His ceiling is certainly role player.  But what role does he play in the modern NBA and specifically on the Celtics?  Don't see a reason to give him time over  Williams and Williams.

It’s a lazy comparison mostly because they went to the same school, but the defense and work ethic remind me of Draymond Green.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This dude sounds like he should be a generic draftee in one of the old NBA video games.
team captain on the Washington Generals.

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 12:28:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I wouldnt be surprised if Danny takes him at 14. He reminds me of Al, Draymond Green, Grant Williams. Not a world class athlete but mobile, active and high bbiq.  Someone that could break the Heat zone D complexity.  But also be a rock for the team at the D end.

Celts already have too many mouths to feed (offensively). And someone like Tillman or 3 and D frontcourt player like Oturu/Tillie  would solve a few issues Celts had last season

With the other picks

Naji Marshall could replace Brad Wannamaker off the bench

Jay Scrubb as the long term project. Upside

Nate Darling as the 3 pt sharpshooter this team is missing

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Best passing big man in the draft, elite defensively and he's a good rebounder. I think he'd overtake Kanter and Timelord in the rotation immediately. His ceiling is not role player, given he's practically going to be a role player as soon as he's drafted. I think his ceiling is spot-starter, as his finishing inside is good enough to overcome his lack of vertical bounce
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)