Poll

Should personal lives of athletes and celebrities be public or private?

Public
3 (21.4%)
Private
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Athletes/Celebrities: Public or Private?  (Read 4456 times)

Athletes/Celebrities: Public or Private?
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
In the wake of "Tiger Gate"......

I was just wondering what people here on Celticsblog think about this issue.

Should personal issues of athletes and celebrities be made out to the public or kept private?

I kind of agree with Tiger that certain aspects of all people's sins should remain private, but once Tiger lied to the public with his first statement release, he forfeited his right of privacy.

Because he lied to his fans and to the public, he has to come clean and apologize for those sins and transgressions and for lying.

Now, how badly he was beaten up by his wife, Elin, should be kept private, how many times the two of them and their kids have cried should remain private. Whatever they are going through with marriage counseling or family therapy should all remain private.

But, Tiger has to acknowledge his transgressions and own up to them in public, because he opened the door when he lied to us.

So my final stance on this is that yes, certain personal aspects of a celebrity's life should be kept private and we should all respect that. It doesn't matter if these people are public figures, when they are out in public or when they are exposed to the outside world then that's the only times they risk their privacy.

Re: Athletes/Celebrities: Public or Private?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It should be private - the media will do plenty on their own to bring as much to light as possible, but Tiger's under no obligation whatsoever to talk about who he is or isn't sleeping with.  He has an absolute right to say as little or as much about his personal life as he wants, and fans and the media have a right to speculate and dig around as much as they're legally allowed to.

However, I think it's hilarious to find out that

A. Tiger is a DL pimp, and
B. Tiger got his ass beat by his model wife. 

Why oh why can't Chappelle still be on??  His take on this would be priceless.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't appreciate the holier than thou attitude some celebs take towards their private lives. They want the media there if they support a candidate or want a reality show (about their life) or give away turkeys at the holidays, but don't want the media there if they do something stupid.  If Tiger wants privacy then he should say nothing. He should just be like "Say what you want to say about me. I really don't care. Just leave my kids alone."

I don't appreciate the news acting holier than thou like they don't have their own problems or like this is newsworthy, but I guess technically "newsworthy" is whatever people will watch and read.

I can't believe people care about this. I wish people would change the channel when this stuff comes on, cause I find it boring and unimportant, and if enough people ignored this stuff it would go away.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Once you are a celeb and especially once you are elevated to the level of your own brand, the rules have changed for you.  For right or for wrong, that is the world we live in.

Listen, Tiger had a lot to do with the shaping of his image as perhaps the greatest modern athlete in the world and included his family (Elin and the kids) in 18th hole photo opps on numerous occasions. He also included in this branding process multiple HUGE endorsements from Nike and Gatorade to Buick, etc.  He knew full well he was playing with personal and public fire when he started messing around.  Nothing the media is doing is unexpected because this is definitely "news worthy" when millions of people are interested in it.

I feel for the family.  I do.  However, the fans and the media made Tiger more than just a golfer and he has profited greatly from it.  This just comes with the territory.  He doesn't have to say anything at all, but he can't expect the media to just let it go when consumer demand still cries for more and these women are willing to give up the goods.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

Offline waiting for #18

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Definitely private. None of my business, nor anyone else's.
Just to add to a bit of controversy...I believe everyone's salaries (including pro athletes) are private business, except for public employees/elected people....anyone who is paid by taxpayers.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:39:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I agree with Private.

I was wondering about Tiger's "Inner Circle" though....his closest friends and advisors had to have known about this before it happened?

My thing is that if I am correct in my opinion, why didn't "They" pull him aside and talk to him before this got to the media? Were they oblivious to it? Or just didn't care?

To this day, I have five people I know are Friends (Wife included)..the type that will correct you if you are wrong, but cheer for you when you succeed. I wonder if Tiger has those type of people in his life? If not, maybe he needs to re-evaluate?

I know that Tiger will rebound from this, and he have a stronger marriage and be a better person because of it.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Whatever the public that makes them rich wants.

When you make his endorsement money or make money off of entertaining, your agree to put yourself out there. If not for the public interest, he would not have his riches. Tiger has no obligation to the public, but Tiger is also fair game. If he truly wants to remain private, he can golf when there are no cameras and get an office job.

If you want to stay private, don't choose a career in sports or entertainment. Or at least don't be a superstar in that field.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
In the wake of "Tiger Gate"......

I was just wondering what people here on Celticsblog think about this issue.

Should personal issues of athletes and celebrities be made out to the public or kept private?

I kind of agree with Tiger that certain aspects of all people's sins should remain private, but once Tiger lied to the public with his first statement release, he forfeited his right of privacy.

Because he lied to his fans and to the public, he has to come clean and apologize for those sins and transgressions and for lying.

Now, how badly he was beaten up by his wife, Elin, should be kept private, how many times the two of them and their kids have cried should remain private. Whatever they are going through with marriage counseling or family therapy should all remain private.

But, Tiger has to acknowledge his transgressions and own up to them in public, because he opened the door when he lied to us.

So my final stance on this is that yes, certain personal aspects of a celebrity's life should be kept private and we should all respect that. It doesn't matter if these people are public figures, when they are out in public or when they are exposed to the outside world then that's the only times they risk their privacy.
I agree that celebrities have no obligation to be forthcoming.

I nonetheless feel that their private lives are fair game for investigative reporters and even tabloids since the livelihood of celebrities is getting rich off of our infatuation with them or what they do.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sort of a weird poll (in terms of the wording).

Everyone is entitled to privacy, but by being an athlete/celebrity, you open yourself up to publicity.  You can't say you want publicity when things are going great, but not when things are going poorly.

That said, I choose not to read or follow most of the fluff that the media puts out on the "private lives" of celebs.  eg: I have no plans to read Tiger's texts, and don't really care that much about the whole issue, or rather non-issue, as I see it. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have no problem with various laws giving more protection to celeb's private lives (or anyone's). I think these laws get more traction in CA where they have Hollywood and have a former star as governor.  Just because we are willing to pay to have "journalists" essentially spy and stalk for us doesn't mean it should be legal.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think athletes' children should be off-limits, and I think the media should be reasonable and give them room to live their lives.  However, when something big happens (like the Tiger story), I think it's fair game.  Tiger and other athletes earn a very good living that is supported by the viewing public.  When they screw up, they've going to have to answer to that same public.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions