Author Topic: Kawhi future?  (Read 2144 times)

Kawhi future?
« on: January 26, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Just a thought, I’m curious about Leonard’s future with the Clippers, the franchise is in a very tentative situation with a coach that has been very up and down, the other star in Paul George who is seen as unreliable when it matters and a team lacking in make Leonard’s life easier.

Given he has yet to commit his long term future to the Clippers, an early exit could make him look for other options and for me the Celtics are perfect for him. Leonard wants options on offence? Brown and Tatum are young and lacking in ego. He wants to rest because of his injury issues? Our team is young enough to carry the load. Leonard wants help on the defensive end? Smart, Brown and Thompson to the rescue.

Given Kawhi is a New Balance guy, I also wonder if that gives the Celtics an in too.

If Walker can hold up this season a simple switch with picks attached could be enough if Leonard tells LA he won’t stay.

Thompson
Tatum
Leonard
Brown
Smart

Is this realistic? How would this team go?

Re: Kawhi future?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I just don't think the Clippers will trade Kawhi even if he says he doesn't want to stay beyond this year. For the Clippers, they are basically in "win now" mode anyway and will probably be willing to take a shot this Spring for the title again.

It is interesting to note that Kawhi is a FA this summer. You wonder if a S&T opportunity could be there if the Clippers don't win it all this season and Kawhi departs.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I too don't think the Clippers will trade him.  Wasn't being in LA a high priority for him?  The lakers can't afford him so he doesn't really have a lot of other options.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 02:58:38 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'd wager that ultimately he'll stay there. He chose to move to LA, they're certainly contenders, and at least for right now, both he and PG are playing lights out.

But he's a different guy who marches to the beat of his own drum. No telling what he might do. Certainly he isn't someone the Celtics can make any sort of plans to make a run at.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
I too don't think the Clippers will trade him.  Wasn't being in LA a high priority for him?  The lakers can't afford him so he doesn't really have a lot of other options.

Unlike Paul George, Kawhi hasn’t re-signed and has a PO this off-season. Yes Kawhi wanted to be in LA but if there are major issues with the coach and the squad (as reported) and they get knocked out early in the playoffs, Kawhi might need to leave and my comment is that we are actually the best team available for him.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Unlike Paul George, Kawhi hasn’t re-signed and has a PO this off-season. Yes Kawhi wanted to be in LA but if there are major issues with the coach and the squad (as reported) and they get knocked out early in the playoffs, Kawhi might need to leave and my comment is that we are actually the best team available for him.
There is no major issues reported. They got rid of Doc and that did it. Also it was pretty obvious he wanted to be in California otherwise why leave a championship team that was build around him and fit him perfect ?
Teams that have cap space this summer are not that enticing. Will he go back to the Spurs? Or maybe Knicks or OKC ? OKC could be good for him but I don’t see him doing that. He signed a short deal because clips didn’t have his bird rights. I think he is signing 4 year max with them this summer with the yr 4 player option. He will get a max extension at some point after that unless something unfortunate happens. It is much more likely that the clips add an overpaid point guard and or center. I bet they are looking into Horford , chris Paul and wall cause that’s the guys they can get with no tradeable assets

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens

There is no major issues reported. They got rid of Doc and that did it. Also it was pretty obvious he wanted to be in California otherwise why leave a championship team that was build around him and fit him perfect ?
Teams that have cap space this summer are not that enticing. Will he go back to the Spurs? Or maybe Knicks or OKC ? OKC could be good for him but I don’t see him doing that. He signed a short deal because clips didn’t have his bird rights. I think he is signing 4 year max with them this summer with the yr 4 player option. He will get a max extension at some point after that unless something unfortunate happens. It is much more likely that the clips add an overpaid point guard and or center. I bet they are looking into Horford , chris Paul and wall cause that’s the guys they can get with no tradeable assets

https://youtu.be/BaQCrNzWzeI

This was from just a month ago and Leonard won’t say if he wants to stay with the Clippers.

His issues weren’t with Doc, it was the team vets (Beverly, Morris, Williams) not liking Leonard’s perks and training habits. Paul George was the one who had the most friction with Doc as he cheated on Docs daughter.

Kawhi was originally going back to Toronto if Clippers didn’t get Paul George so obviously he isn’t insistent on playing in LA either, plus Kawhi doesn’t even live in LA, he lives in San Diego.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:44:17 PM by shut_the_gate »

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 02:34:56 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
How can we make Kawhi fit if he opts out and wants to do a sign-and-trade to Boston? Basically Kemba, assuming we still have him, for Kawhi would do the trick? That would be a championship team to stop the Nets and Lakers. When you think about it, forming a big three with Tatum and Brown would be his best shot at multiple championships in the 2020s and, who knows, maybe he goes down in the history books as 2nd or 3rd GOAT. Being mediocre with PG-13 in LA is making his stock drop big time compared to when he won the title with the Raps.

This right here is called the ideal situation for Kawhi and Boston (no luxury tax but still a favorite to win it all for many years):

Smart/Pritchard
Brown/Langford
Kawhi/Nesmith
Tatum/Ojeyele or Theis or Both/G. Williams
TT/R. Williams

Plus our 2021 1st and 2nd round picks and at least one solid ring-chasing vet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:45:32 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 03:05:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
How can we make Kawhi fit if he opts out and wants to do a sign-and-trade to Boston? Basically Kemba, assuming we still have him, for Kawhi would do the trick? That would be a championship team to stop the Nets and Lakers. When you think about it, forming a big three with Tatum and Brown would be his best shot at multiple championships in the 2020s and, who knows, maybe he goes down in the history books as 2nd or 3rd GOAT. Being mediocre with PG-13 in LA is making his stock drop big time compared to when he won the title with the Raps.

This right here is called the ideal situation for Kawhi and Boston (no luxury tax but still a favorite to win it all for many years):

Smart/Pritchard
Brown/Langford
Kawhi/Nesmith
Tatum/Ojeyele or Theis or Both/G. Williams
TT/R. Williams

Plus our 2021 1st and 2nd round picks and at least one solid ring-chasing vet.
Kawhi isn't anywhere close to being 2nd or 3rd GOAT.  Kawhi may opt out but he's not coming here.  Too much overlap with Brown, Kawhi and Tatum.  Anyone brought in must be complementary to Brown and Tatum not stunt their growth.