Poll

If you had to choose someone, who would you pick?

Anthony Davis
21 (61.8%)
Giannis
13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Who would you choose to build your franchise? AD or Giannis?  (Read 3964 times)

Re: Who would you choose to build your franchise? AD or Giannis?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
AD as long as he stays healthy. Imagine if he played on a team that had really good wings.

Like perhaps... ::)
Do New Orleans even have a wing?

What could New Orleans do to get Butler?

And my choice is Davis as well. I just don't see any weaknesses in his game. He's incredible.
I think he'd be really hard to squeeze in unless Holiday goes. Just too much money. I think Randle & Mirotic could be interesting though. Randle living in the paint, Mirotic on the arc, and AD doing anything and everything he wants to.

Sad they couldn't keep Rondo though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
AD as long as he stays healthy. Imagine if he played on a team that had really good wings.

Like perhaps... ::)
Do New Orleans even have a wing?

What could New Orleans do to get Butler?

And my choice is Davis as well. I just don't see any weaknesses in his game. He's incredible.
I think he'd be really hard to squeeze in unless Holiday goes. Just too much money. I think Randle & Mirotic could be interesting though. Randle living in the paint, Mirotic on the arc, and AD doing anything and everything he wants to.

Sad they couldn't keep Rondo though

Yeah, Rondo could have been a key part of that Pelicans team, helping AD go deep into the playoffs.

Instead, he's going to be carrying Lebron's bags and coaching Lonzo Ball in Laker land. So disappointing.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The GM's have spoken.  Giannis is the choice.

http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2018

If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee – 30%

2. Anthony Davis, New Orleans – 23%

3. Kevin Durant, Golden State – 20%

4. LeBron James, L.A. Lakers – 17%

5. Stephen Curry, Golden State – 7%

6. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia – 3%

Last year: Karl-Anthony Towns – 29%
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?

interesting that even at his advanced age Lebron still garners 17% of the vote.  Leads me to question the wisdom of GMs in the league that they'd build a franchise with a player who's coming to the end of their career in a few years.

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

interesting that even at his advanced age Lebron still garners 17% of the vote.  Leads me to question the wisdom of GMs in the league that they'd build a franchise with a player who's coming to the end of their career in a few years.
Considering a guy renowned for his very weak defence garnered 29% of the vote (presumably ahead of AD) pretty well validates the questioning of some GM's wisdom.

That and you only have to look at how some teams have been run to realise that they're not all the most wise

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

James is the best player in the world right now.  He seemingly has 5 years of at least good play left in him.  GM's want to win and no player, perhaps ever, has had more impact on the W/L's of a team than Lebron James.  There are no guarantees, especially with health, progression, etc. on any player, so why not pick the best player in the world that makes your team instantly credible as a team, especially when the real competition are either players near James in age, are significantly unproven, or have significant injury concerns. 

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

James is the best player in the world right now.  He seemingly has 5 years of at least good play left in him.  GM's want to win and no player, perhaps ever, has had more impact on the W/L's of a team than Lebron James.  There are no guarantees, especially with health, progression, etc. on any player, so why not pick the best player in the world that makes your team instantly credible as a team, especially when the real competition are either players near James in age, are significantly unproven, or have significant injury concerns. 
if the goal was to try to win the title in the upcoming season, sure, Bron's at the top of the list.  However, when the question is who to you build a franchise around, I'm looking at starting with a player I expect to have on the team long term and Bron doesn't fit that description.

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
i pick Davis..guy can do it all..no way i pick James..he is 34 plus lot of players dont want to play with him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

if the goal was to try to win the title in the upcoming season, sure, Bron's at the top of the list.  However, when the question is who to you build a franchise around, I'm looking at starting with a player I expect to have on the team long term and Bron doesn't fit that description.
Sure, Bron probably has 5 years left and someone like Davis theoretically has 10 years left.  Let's say Davis has similar health those 10 years as he has had thus far (far from a given).  Are you better off having a team led by Davis over the next 10 years that is a borderline playoff team with a chance at being a contender if everything breaks right or having a team that is basically a real contender for 5 seasons and then falls off the map?  It is an interesting discussion no question, but I would think the odds of a winning a title with James are greater than the odds of winning a title with Davis even though Davis theoretically gives you a much longer window.  But a longer window isn't the same thing as a bigger window. 

I'd personally take Giannis over any other player right now, given his trajectory, his skill, his age, and his health, but after that I honestly have no idea.  If you told me for sure that Davis wasn't going to suffer a major injury and he would be healthy every playoff season, I'd probably take him 2nd behind Giannis, but his health concerns are very scary so I'd be hesitant to invest heavily in him (in addition he hasn't exactly shown a consistent ability to get into the playoffs - this is a very big year for him and the Pelicans from that standpoint).  I'd have Leonard pretty high up on that list if I thought he was healthy.  After those 3 though, I'd be looking at the older guys like James and Durant and ultimately may put them at 2 and 3 given the injury risk of Davis and the overall weird factor that is Leonard (coupled with his injury and the concerns that he may have been elevated by the system).

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Giannis is first.  I like Giannis because he can score at a highly efficient level and he can create for others. I think over the next few years, his defense will become more formidable as well.

I'd take Durant next, assuming he plans to play the next few years.

James is after that for me. Even if he loses a bit of explosiveness or quickness, his passing and power will be elite for a long time.

Then it's Davis for me. I think his defense is overrated and his passing is below average. His scoring is amazingly efficient, though.

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I would take Davis first but I would also take Kawhi over Lebron, Curry and Embiid.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

This "good years left in him" isn't good enough for a franchise-type player. He's on the back nine as of now. Sure he may have 2 or 3 years tops of greatness left but he could fall off quickly after that (he'll be 36/37 in 3 years). That's reason enough for me to take Davis, Durant and probably Giannis and Kawhi over Lebron.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This "good years left in him" isn't good enough for a franchise-type player. He's on the back nine as of now. Sure he may have 2 or 3 years tops of greatness left but he could fall off quickly after that (he'll be 36/37 in 3 years). That's reason enough for me to take Davis, Durant and probably Giannis and Kawhi over Lebron.
Yep. He's not going to be putting up 27/7/7 as a 38-40 year old. Whereas Davis is 25, and has back to back seasons of 28/11 with the best big man defence in the league, and Giannis is a 27/10/5 guy with strong versatile defence.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yep. He's not going to be putting up 27/7/7 as a 38-40 year old. Whereas Davis is 25, and has back to back seasons of 28/11 with the best big man defence in the league, and Giannis is a 27/10/5 guy with strong versatile defence.
Sure and New Orleans won only 34 games one of those years (48 last year).  Maybe Davis has turned the corner on his play actually yielding wins, or maybe last year was a fluke.  Big guys also generally deteriorate much more rapidly and at a much younger age then wings.  Especially big guys that have had a history of injuries like Davis has.  Despite being older, I think it is far more likely that James stays healthy over the next five years than Davis does. 

Obviously at some point James will start to decline, but I don't think James is going to be great one year and then all of a sudden be mediocre.  I think he will have a gradual decline and end up much more similarly to someone like Mailman or Kareem, who is still incredibly effective into their late 30's, rather then someone like Shaq who fell off a cliff rather rapidly.  I mean at age 39 Malone started 81 games, played over 36 mpg and will still averaging over 20 a game.  He won the MVP at age 35 and finished 4th the following season.  Kareem was still scoring over 23 a game at age 38 and finished 5th in MVP voting that season (and was 4th in MVP voting each of the two years before that).  He was the Finals MVP at 37.   

This notion that James is 33 and therefore isn't still going to be great for awhile is a strange one given how his career has looked thus far.  He takes incredible care of his body and has been pretty darn healthy in his career.  He is still widely regarded as the best player in the world.  Unless he gets hurt, he is going to be a top 5 player for at least the length of the Lakers contract, and maybe longer like the Mailman or Kareem.  After all this is a guy that has finished in the top 10 of MVP voting every single year of his career and for the last 13 years has finished in the top 5 (and been top 3, 9 of the last 10 years).  He is once again the favorite to win it this year after finishing 2nd last year. 

That said, as I've said, if someone could assure me Davis was going to remain relatively healthy and be healthy for the playoffs for the next decade, I'd probably take him over James, but his injury concerns scare the crap out of me.  So I think right now I'd take Giannis, James, Durant, Leonard, and Davis in that order.  Mid-way through this season I'd probably elevate Leonard to 2 if he is looking like he did 2 years ago, but I need to see a decent sample size from him on that. 

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Keep the core... tatum and brown are our leaders for the next decade