Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics  (Read 10563 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas takes veiled shot at Celtics
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 12:18:26 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Loyalty isn't a one way street.

Of course it is, and there’s an obvious reason for it: the fans only hold one side accountable.

If a team is “disloyal” by trading / waiving a player, the fans inevitably side with management.  They want the best product on the floor, period. It doesn’t matter if a player played hurt, took less in the past, etc.  Fans have a “what have you done for me lately” attitude. In other words, fans by and large don’t want franchises to be loyal.

On the other hand, fans take a “how dare he leave” attitude if he goes to another franchise. It’s as if they expect a player to sign for less just to be a Celtic. You see it in some of the criticisms of Marcus Smart, and you see it in continued attacks on Ray Allen. Players get called “traitors”, teams are admired for making nonsentimental decisions.

Not the whole truth. Fans showed lots of sympathy both for IT and DeRozan.

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Of course it is, and there’s an obvious reason for it: the fans only hold one side accountable.

No they don't. I was mad as hell at Danny for trading away Perk & Thomas and I said so - several times. Mostly what I got for my opinion on this board was criticism for daring to question Danny Ainge (OMG !!!). I also took exception to the way Danny treated Ray Allen, Leon Powe and most recently, Marcus Smart (to name a few). He treats our players like car parts.

On a related note, the title of this thread is kinda funny - There is nothing "veiled" about Thomas' comments. They are directed at Danny Ainge, no question.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No they don't. I was mad as hell at Danny for trading away Perk & Thomas and I said so - several times. Mostly what I got for my opinion on this board was criticism for daring to question Danny Ainge (OMG !!!). I also took exception to the way Danny treated Ray Allen, Leon Powe and most recently, Marcus Smart (to name a few). He treats our players like car parts.

On a related note, the title of this thread is kinda funny - There is nothing "veiled" about Thomas' comments. They are directed at Danny Ainge, no question.

I think you missed the point, or stopped reading. The side the majority of fans hold accountable regarding loyalty is the players, not management.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I think you missed the point, or stopped reading. The side the majority of fans hold accountable regarding loyalty is the players, not management.

I'm not sure I follow your logic Roy. If this is the case, IT should be complaining about Celtics fans not Ainge.

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Every circumstance is different. People hate Allen because he took less to play with the the enemy, people hate Clemens because he eventually played for the Yankees and was part of the steroid generation, people were rubbed the wrong way by IT and the Brinks truck comments since was clearly not worth it. With somebody like Smart, I am not sure what to say - nobody even offered him a contract so we are really only bidding against ourselves.  Just because a player perceives something a certain way doesn’t make it fact.

Players don’t have to be loyal to a franchise by giving a hometown discount, but I do think people would (eventually) be a lot more forgiving if a player said he absolutely wasn’t re-signing so that a team could get ‘something’ back in return rather than lose the ‘asset’ for nothing. There is some contention in the moment, but SAS is probably pretty happy they are getting DeRozan over watching Kawhi walk.

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Glad he’s gone.  Has done nothing but whine and moan

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd be really curious to hear what Toronto actually said to DeRozan.  I suspect DeRozan heard what he wanted to hear and not what was actually said to him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
IT isn’t wrong. Neither is DeRozan. “Loyalty” is a one-way Street. Players are expected to give “home town discounts”, while teams show no loyalty to players.
I don't know if players in the NBA are EXPECTED to take home town discounts or not. I haven't seen it as much anymore in ANY of the sports. There are fewer examples than in the past. If some do take a discount then the least their team and their agents can do is put a no trade clause into their contract. That is what I would do if I took lesser money to stay with a team I wanted to stay with.

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Isaiah is not bitter about being traded, but rather the realization that he'll never get that max contract he envisioned with his brinks truck comment.

BTW, I do believe Isaiah's brinks truck comment was fairly significant in the grand scheme of things. To me, Isaiah was basically telling the Celtics through the media to pay me or trade me, because he would leave to get paid somewhere. Danny was never going to give IT a max contract, and the Celtics would not have received anything once Isaiah left in free agency.

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd trade IT for Kyrie any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Face the truth, IT.  Kyrie is just better than you.  This is a business.  I want to win.  Period.

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
This narrative of us destroying IT’s career is pretty flawed imo. DA traded him to the team that went to the NBA Finals! If he did his part and played team ball in Cleveland, putting aside his personal ego and deferring to the King (who is likely the best player in the NBA), he’d likely be playing for a lot more than the minimum this year. Likely in Cleveland after LBJ bolted for LA. Loyalty (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with IT not getting paid.

Btw, if Sacramento offered Smart a max contract and he took it, I wouldn’t have viewed it as being disloyal. If Kyrie signed in NY, it wouldn’t be disloyal. I don’t think I’ve heard the word loyalty used by fans much these days. I don’t think people view KD as disloyal. They view him as soft or a ring chasing coward. Quite different from disloyal.
- LilRip

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
One thing that is not being discussed, is how to fix the problem of players with one year remaining on their contracts, making it publicly known that their leaving in free agency and will only go to one team in particular (at the time Paul George, and now Kawhi). Maybe it can be called the LA Lakers rule.

Maybe the team (A) with the player can file some sort of tampering charges. Have the league investigate the claim, where the team (A) tries to prove that their receiving lower than market value trade proposals, because the other teams (B) believe the player will leave in free agency due to the player's desire to play for one particular team (C). To bring this back to the Lakers (C), they didn't even try to trade for George or Kawhi because they strongly felt those players would just sign during free agency, so why give up any assets.

If the league does find merit to those tampering charges, maybe the penalty could be a monetary fine and loss of first round picks to the team (the player's desired team in free agency) that signs the player. In this case, Kawhi signing with the Lakers next off season. It would also give a team like the Lakers, an incentive to make a genuine trade offer the year before free agency, and avoid being fined.

What would you propose, or do you have no problem with what players like George (last year with Indiana) and Kawhi have done?

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

If a team is “disloyal” by trading / waiving a player, the fans inevitably side with management.  They want the best product on the floor, period. It doesn’t matter if a player played hurt, took less in the past, etc.  Fans have a “what have you done for me lately” attitude. In other words, fans by and large don’t want franchises to be loyal.

On the other hand, fans take a “how dare he leave” attitude if he goes to another franchise. It’s as if they expect a player to sign for less just to be a Celtic. You see it in some of the criticisms of Marcus Smart, and you see it in continued attacks on Ray Allen. Players get called “traitors”, teams are admired for making nonsentimental decisions.

The fans interests are more alligned with management than the players' interests. As a fan, I want the Celtics to sign an All star squad on minimum deals. Each player wants a maximum deal. Neither conclusion is possible, but we'd rather see the all star team making little $.

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I have seen a few posters mention Danny being disloyal to Paul Pierce and KG, by trading them away and lumping them with Isaiah. I was a huge fan of Pierce and KG, but I see their trade differently. Was I the only person happy they were traded?
1. The Celtics were ready for a rebuild.
2. Danny sent PP and KG to a team that was trying to win the title, so I was genuinly happy for them. I felt that Danny was looking at PP & KG's best interest and putting them in a position to succeed.
3. I honestly thought both teams and PP & KG benefited from that trade at that time. The fact that the Nets failed that season has nothing to do with Danny.
4. I knew the Celtics were in rebuild mode after the trade, and I followed the Nets team that season, with the hope they would win it all because of PP & KG.

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I have seen a few posters mention Danny being disloyal to Paul Pierce and KG, by trading them away and lumping them with Isaiah. I was a huge fan of Pierce and KG, but I see their trade differently. Was I the only person happy they were traded?
1. The Celtics were ready for a rebuild.
2. Danny sent PP and KG to a team that was trying to win the title, so I was genuinly happy for them. I felt that Danny was looking at PP & KG's best interest and putting them in a position to succeed.
3. I honestly thought both teams and PP & KG benefited from that trade at that time. The fact that the Nets failed that season has nothing to do with Danny.
4. I knew the Celtics were in rebuild mode after the trade, and I followed the Nets team that season, with the hope they would win it all because of PP & KG.
Danny also had to get their OK to trade them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.