Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343938 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #375 on: January 04, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My feeling is that the Pelicans are more likely to go a route similar to the Spurs, where they try to exchange AD for a more established player that can play alongside Holiday, Randle, Mirotic and try to stay in the mix to win a little over half their games.

If the Pels trade Davis and enter another prolonged rebuild, I kinda doubt they're going to remain in New Orleans for very long.

You could be right, but who?  Who is going to make them better than they are now with a generational MVP player, trading him from a position of no leverage? 

Wouldn't they just stay on a worse version of the treadmill they're on?  Wouldn't fans see right through that?  Or are the owners and GMs that out of touch?

I could have blinders on, but I see Tatum as the first league-wide golden boy we've had since Bird, or KG after the fact.  I think he's incredibly marketable and as a 20 year old Tier 1 prospect, is much better than a random all star.  If you had a name or package in mind, your idea would come alive to me a bit more.

I think they're going to try to trade him for a player who is already entrenched as a perennial All-Star.

I floated the notion of Bradley Beal recently.

Or what about Ben Simmons?  Is it out of the question that Philly would consider that?  Imagine Embiid and AD playing together with Butler getting to take on lead playmaking responsibilities.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #376 on: January 04, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
My feeling is that the Pelicans are more likely to go a route similar to the Spurs, where they try to exchange AD for a more established player that can play alongside Holiday, Randle, Mirotic and try to stay in the mix to win a little over half their games.

If the Pels trade Davis and enter another prolonged rebuild, I kinda doubt they're going to remain in New Orleans for very long.

You could be right, but who?  Who is going to make them better than they are now with a generational MVP player, trading him from a position of no leverage? 

Wouldn't they just stay on a worse version of the treadmill they're on?  Wouldn't fans see right through that?  Or are the owners and GMs that out of touch?

I could have blinders on, but I see Tatum as the first league-wide golden boy we've had since Bird, or KG after the fact.  I think he's incredibly marketable and as a 20 year old Tier 1 prospect, is much better than a random all star.  If you had a name or package in mind, your idea would come alive to me a bit more.

I think they're going to try to trade him for a player who is already entrenched as a perennial All-Star.

Or what about Ben Simmons?  Is it out of the question that Philly would consider that?  Imagine Embiid and AD playing together with Butler getting to take on lead playmaking responsibilities.
Beal for AD makes sense but the Wizards would really need to end up with a good pick this draft to sweeten the pot.   

Assuming AD says he'd re-sign with them or at least strongly consider it, the Sixers would be stupid not to trade Simmons for AD.  AD could go back to playing PF which he prefers.  Butler would have 2 dominant bigs to run pick and rolls with.  Redick would be in hog heaven with all three of them attracting the attention. 

« Reply #377 on: January 04, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I mentioned Ben Simmons in my post and maybe on CS before, but others definitely did and Simmons is the obvious guy.  He could trump Tatum and picks, but maybe not.  What if the Kings pick does end up top 5-8?  What if Memphis rolls over and Clips get the 8 seed?  Or JB / Hayward end up looking great? 

Philly has nothing to offer beyond the Miami pick- beyond Butler, Reddick and Embiid no one who plays any minutes for them has a PER above 13.5- that's McConnell who isn't a trade chip- then it's below 11.5 for the next guy, Korkmaz a FA.  Also, their picks will be in the 20-25 range barring flukes.

Personally I love Bradley Beal.  But I haven't seen Beal on a Nike or a Gatorade commercial.  I've seen Tatum on both, on national spots, and I don't even catch many commercials.  That matters in NO.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:25:33 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #378 on: January 05, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

« Reply #379 on: January 05, 2019, 07:46:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Probably fake but worth mentioning:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1067772/Anthony-Davis-trade-update-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Boston-Celtics-Pelicans-NBA-gossip

It's just another complete fluff piece, but it does bring up one legit factor. AD is essentially a rental in 2020, so a team trading for him also has to be sure he's willing to re-sign with that team long term. He's got a player option he's sure to decline in 2021. Lakers don't have that problem but Boston might. It's another reason why we didn't really go hard after Leonard this past summer (his camp said he was only willing to extend with the two LA teams or NYK, but probably not Boston).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #380 on: January 05, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1067772/Anthony-Davis-trade-update-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Boston-Celtics-Pelicans-NBA-gossip

It's just another complete fluff piece, but it does bring up one legit factor. AD is essentially a rental in 2020, so a team trading for him also has to be sure he's willing to re-sign with that team long term. He's got a player option he's sure to decline in 2021. Lakers don't have that problem but Boston might. It's another reason why we didn't really go hard after Leonard this past summer (his camp said he was only willing to extend with the two LA teams or NYK, but probably not Boston).
It is a risk.  Paul George said the same thing but OKC took the risk and it paid off for them. 
Sixers to the risk with Butler but they did have some assurance that Butler would consider re-signing with them.  In both cases, they only gave up role players at the time of the trade.     
The question is how much will it take to get AD and is it worth the risk.  I don't think the Lakers will sit back and wait for AD to come to them in free agency like they did with George. 

« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It is a risk.  Paul George said the same thing but OKC took the risk and it paid off for them. 
Sixers to the risk with Butler but they did have some assurance that Butler would consider re-signing with them.  In both cases, they only gave up role players at the time of the trade.     
The question is how much will it take to get AD and is it worth the risk.  I don't think the Lakers will sit back and wait for AD to come to them in free agency like they did with George.
Don't forget, Ainge took this risk 11 years ago with KG. He would take the risk again for AD

« Reply #382 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Don't forget, Ainge took this risk 11 years ago with KG. He would take the risk again for AD

Didn't KG tell Ainge and co. he'd be willing to sign the extension just a little before they made the trade?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #383 on: January 05, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Didn't KG tell Ainge and co. he'd be willing to sign the extension just a little before they made the trade?
My memory was it was still up in the air until he got here, got to know Danny, the owners, Doc and his team mates and then committed to sign here. I don't remember KG committing until after he got here. Only that he would consider it.

And the considering was huge since he said previously he would opt out of his contract and be a free agent in the summer of 2008 if dealt to Boston. But then Boston got rid of Szczerbiak for Ray Allen and Garnett decided he would seriously consider staying in Boston and the deal went down.

That's my memory anyway.

« Reply #384 on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

My memory was it was still up in the air until he got here, got to know Danny, the owners, Doc and his team mates and then committed to sign here. I don't remember KG committing until after he got here. Only that he would consider it.

And the considering was huge since he said previously he would opt out of his contract and be a free agent in the summer of 2008 if dealt to Boston. But then Boston got rid of Szczerbiak for Ray Allen and Garnett decided he would seriously consider staying in Boston and the deal went down.

That's my memory anyway.
KG signed the extension before the trade.  He was in fact the first extend and traded player in NBA history and neither team was actually sure they could do it.  They had to do it that way because to make the dollars work KG had to waive his trade kicker, but if he did that he couldn't be extended and the Celtics wouldn't have acquired him without the extension.  Below is a pretty good article on all the inner workings.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/07/31/the-kevin-garnett-trade-almost-never-happened-because-of-this-contract-hurdle
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #385 on: January 05, 2019, 10:44:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's my memory anyway.
KG signed the extension before the trade.  He was in fact the first extend and traded player in NBA history and neither team was actually sure they could do it.  They had to do it that way because to make the dollars work KG had to waive his trade kicker, but if he did that he couldn't be extended and the Celtics wouldn't have acquired him without the extension.  Below is a pretty good article on all the inner workings.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/07/31/the-kevin-garnett-trade-almost-never-happened-because-of-this-contract-hurdle
Ah, cool. Thanks for that. I guess my memory was right up to a point. I do remember something about needing to be traded without the extension because of the trade kicker, which is probably why I thought the extension got done after.

Still think Boston makes the trade for AD without a 100% assurance he would re-sign. They did with Kyrie. And I mistakenly thought they did with KG.

« Reply #386 on: January 06, 2019, 01:02:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum’s Dad said even he would trade his son for Anthony Davis.

On today’s celticsbeat podcast interview with Cedric Maxwell.

That settles the debate.

« Reply #387 on: January 06, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
There's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2019, 11:35:44 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
There's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

Yeah Simmons could trump all other offers, but based on Tatum owning Simmons in the playoffs at a younger age and us having additional prospects and picks, I don't think it's a given.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah Simmons could trump all other offers, but based on Tatum owning Simmons in the playoffs at a younger age and us having additional prospects and picks, I don't think it's a given.

Would AD plus Embiid work in the modern NBA? Not that Simmons fits that team either, but it’s hard for me to envision how two 7 footers work in today’s league.