Author Topic: US Open  (Read 20151 times)

Re: US Open
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Didn't he already have this staff change speech a couple of times already? He needs to think long and hard about what he needs before he starts looking for a new coach.

Yeah a little too much celebrating in that AO from the Djokovic camp. I didn't like him for that longest time after that.
Yes, he should work hard about his mental state. It's one thing doing well in the masters, but the slams is just a completely different animal.

Same here, It was hard to have any sympathy for him afyer those comments.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Didn't he already have this staff change speech a couple of times already? He needs to think long and hard about what he needs before he starts looking for a new coach.

Yeah a little too much celebrating in that AO from the Djokovic camp. I didn't like him for that longest time after that.
Yes, he should work hard about his mental state. It's one thing doing well in the masters, but the slams is just a completely different animal.

Same here, It was hard to have any sympathy for him afyer those comments.

Djokovic is strange. He seems content to have 1 slam forever. Everyone in his camp looks much more enthusiastic about his career than he is. He doesn't seem to care. Really why else would someone with breathing problems in the heat so often wear dark colors for day matches? 

Cibulkova up a set. I'll be very upset if Svetlana loses.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Can someone answer me this question!

Why is it that every american media outlet, seems to truthfully hate Caroline Wozniacki? I just dont get that, while im danish and do follow tennis.. im of the opnion that any person has the right to their own opinon and can state that.. but i just dont understand it
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

That was a very bad game by Svetlana. Very uninspiring. Expected more from Fish also.

Don't know about Wozniacki (I'm not American though). I have no problem with her.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hardfought first set here with Sharapova & Wozniacki.

Nice break by Sharapova there. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff

That was a very bad game by Svetlana. Very uninspiring. Expected more from Fish also.

Don't know about Wozniacki (I'm not American though). I have no problem with her.

Very disappointed in her. I thought she'd gotten out of her funk. Cibulkova wasn't even playing out of her mind and is probably going to lose to the winner of this Sharapova/Wozniacki match.

The criticisms of Woz here are that she plays boring tennis and she's ranked so high because she plays a lot of tournaments. Basically the same reasons people hated Dinara when she was #1.   

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:28 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff

Then gets broken right after at love and loses the set. Her serving is atrocious and she's too impatient in the rallies. Woz is not a good match-up for her but she's tenacious enough to win this the hard way.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don't think  that is a boring style of play, but you sure need a lot of stamina to play it.  It can be boring if both players play defense and no one plays offense, though.

Woz is issuing the challenge...you beat me if you can....it can be very frustrating for an aggressive player to play against...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Then gets broken right after at love and loses the set. Her serving is atrocious and she's too impatient in the rallies. Woz is not a good match-up for her but she's tenacious enough to win this the hard way.

Yeah, Sharapova blew a golden opportunity to capitalize there.  Seems like Woz is poised to just wear her down.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Sharapova is starting to go for too much, trying to end the points early.  Bad sign for her....but still early...the first signs of frustration, though
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
The criticisms of Woz here are that she plays boring tennis and she's ranked so high because she plays a lot of tournaments. Basically the same reasons people hated Dinara when she was #1. 
That she plays a lot of tournaments is not good enough reason to dislike her IMO. It's not her fault that Sarena and Venus are focusing mostly on majors and few masters.
The Immortals:

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Woz reminds me a little of Sanchez-Vacario.  It is really hard to win tournaments whenyou play like that...but Woz has more weapons on her groundstrokes...looks like she has a better serve too.   Sanchez-Vacario with aggressive groundstrokes instead of just looping topspin.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Next time Sharapova should try going to net once in a while...I don't think she can beat this girl from the baseline.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
What do you know?  Going to net has worked for her!   ;)  She should have tried it sooner!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Good match...and I loved that Woz went to the net to win a point that last game!  ha ha ha
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...