Author Topic: Wow how good was UFC 116!  (Read 6765 times)

Wow how good was UFC 116!
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't know where to put this because I don't believe there is a MMA section, be great if one got made, so I'm just gonna put it here and let the mods move it.

First of all the fight between Chris Laben and Yoshihiro Akiyama was off the chain and then the Lesnar fight...

WOW!  What an unbelievable fight!

Lesnar has great heart and fight in him!

WOW I can't put to words those two fights.  

WOW!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Wow how good was UFC 116!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It would go in the other sports forum. 

I thought it was a solid card.  Carwin should have finished the fight, when the ground and pound wasn't working he should have just stood up and brought Brock with him and tried to finish him on the feet. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:37:45 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
It would go in the other sports forum. 

I thought it was a solid card.  Carwin should have finished the fight, when the ground and pound wasn't working he should have just stood up and brought Brock with him and tried to finish him on the feet. 

I'm shocked they didn't call the fight in the first round, but boy am I glad they didn't since I had money on Brock.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm glad they didn't. It was the right call. Overall, 116 was very good. I was happy after spending $55. Each fight was very entertaining. Glad I wasn't the only one here to enjoy it.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
I'm glad they didn't. It was the right call. Overall, 116 was very good. I was happy after spending $55. Each fight was very entertaining. Glad I wasn't the only one here to enjoy it.

Well now you know that you got a fellow celticsblog brotherin MMA fan.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Lesnar was still defending himself well enough to warrant the continuation. Plus it was obvious Carwin was completely gassed by the last minute of the first round. The referee could tell the initial flurry was over and let it go on. Brock was never close to being called out. Carwin showed the drawback of being that big. He should have fought lighter. It's just too hard to develop enough cardio when you're that big. Brock is just a freak. He might be only guy his size that can keep his cardio at that level. And Shane get a BJJ coach already. That pitiful half guard in the second round was sad. Brock got side control in about 5 seconds and submitted you with ease.

Bonnar's fight was entertaining as well..

Leben is a good fighter, but he is sometimes is underestimated because he had the unfortunate fate to be Anderson Silva's first opponent upon entering the UFC. He talked a bunch of smack and then was absolutely wrecked 30 seconds into the first round. I still would have liked Sexy to go against the Axe Murderer just because Wandy is my favorite fighter ever, but it turned into a classic.

It's going to be hard to match that card unless they can put together a Silva/GSP fight or a Dos Santos/Velasquez..

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:58:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I streamed it online... really only paid attention to the last fight.  I thought Carwin had him.  I don't follow UFC much and just have a tough time buying the idea that Brock Lesnar is unstoppable after a few fights (one of which he lost)... I kinda expected Carwin to destroy him in the first round like he's done with his other 12 opponents.

Does it undermine the sport at all that some big doof from the WWE can just waltz into the game and dominate?  Again, I don't know much about the UFC... and I understand Lesnar was a NCAA wrestling champ... but I just kinda figured there is a lot of skill and strategy that goes into being a top MMA fighter.  It seems like it would belittle the sport when some newbie like Lesnar instantly becomes the top dog.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 07:30:14 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Leben and Sexyama was the best fight of the night. I think at some point Rogan called both of them zombies because that's really what it looked like.

While I don't necessarily like Lesnar, he converted me into a MMA fan. Something about him has me rooting against him. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Carwin wreck his face. I definitely did not see a submission for the win though. Some props to Brock for showing *some* class afterwards. I guess getting rocked repeatedly by Carwin's fists can be humbling.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:20 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I streamed it online... really only paid attention to the last fight.  I thought Carwin had him.  I don't follow UFC much and just have a tough time buying the idea that Brock Lesnar is unstoppable after a few fights (one of which he lost)... I kinda expected Carwin to destroy him in the first round like he's done with his other 12 opponents.

Does it undermine the sport at all that some big doof from the WWE can just waltz into the game and dominate?  Again, I don't know much about the UFC... and I understand Lesnar was a NCAA wrestling champ... but I just kinda figured there is a lot of skill and strategy that goes into being a top MMA fighter.  It seems like it would belittle the sport when some newbie like Lesnar instantly becomes the top dog.

Lesnar is just a freak. He trains every day and his BJJ has improved a ton. There aren't the well rounded guys like Anderson Silva or GSP in the HW division yet but there will be soon. Lesnar won with a BJJ move and Carwin has no JJ at all.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Carwin was just gassed.  when you are gassed you can't defend anything or do pretty much anything at all.  His BJJ actually isn't that bad, he was just too tired from punching himself out.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Carwin was just gassed.  when you are gassed you can't defend anything or do pretty much anything at all.  His BJJ actually isn't that bad, he was just too tired from punching himself out.

No he can't even apply a freaking half guard properly, which takes no energy at all really. He needs a ton of coaching..

Lesnar is a true combat sports pro. Newbies with no skill like Kimbo Slice and Bob Sapp have come in and been annihilated because they don't work on their skills. Lesnar works hard and it shows..

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

No he can't even apply a freaking half guard properly, which takes no energy at all really. He needs a ton of coaching..

Lesnar is a true combat sports pro. Newbies with no skill like Kimbo Slice and Bob Sapp have come in and been annihilated because they don't work on their skills. Lesnar works hard and it shows..

I agree. Carwin let Lesnar get the full mount on him-- Lesnar just chose to go for the triangle instead. If Lesnar had stayed at the mount, Carwin would have still been done. If you're a UFC fighter, you should not give up a full mount that easily.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I agree. Carwin let Lesnar get the full mount on him-- Lesnar just chose to go for the triangle instead. If Lesnar had stayed at the mount, Carwin would have still been done. If you're a UFC fighter, you should not give up a full mount that easily.
he was exhausted.  he could barely move.  Look at his post fight interview with Joe in the cage, he could barely stand up. 

His cardio was the problem, not his skill level.  First round he defends two or three takedown attempts from Lesnar pretty easily.  Secound round Lesnar gets a takedown with virtually no effort on a fairly weak shot.  It was all about his cardio, which was awful.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Cain is going to beat Brock. He has better wrestling than Carwin, is a much more technical striker than either of them, and has cardio to spare. Rumor is that fight be as early as UFC 119...

Following his UFC 116 title-unification victory over interim champion Shane Carwin, undisputed heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar (5-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) now could meet top contender Cain Velasquez (8-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) in the main event of September's UFC 119 event.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
People are still underestimating Brock and that's why people get disappointed every time.

People are harping on Carwin's cardio being the reason why he lost, refusing to give Brock the credit. But if it was any other fighter the fight wouldve been finished right there and then.

Just because he was in the WWE doesnt mean he is no athlete  ::)

Now that Couture is teaching him Greco-Roman he could be a much better wrestler.

I love the Bonnar fight, he is not one to back off from beating and actually fights better when hes bloodied