Author Topic: Wimbledon 2010  (Read 27764 times)

Re: Wimbledon 2010
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Women's QF today. None of them looks that promising on paper but hopefully they'll be good. Venus is the only one left in the draw I like. Knowing her it'll probably be a tougher match than necessary match but I'm glad she's there at least. Lately my faves are all usually ousted in the early rounds.
It was MUCH tougher. Venus lost in straight sets to Pironkova. Huge surprise. But it opens a door to Zvonoreva, who just beat Clijsters, to reach the finals. I like Vera, she has the talent but very weak mentally. Hopefully, she can do it this time, though I'm not sure anyone can beat Serena at this poit. She looked very intimidating against Sharapova yesterday.
I'm happy for Vera. I like to see new faces advancing. The problem with her is she hasn't had a meltdown in a while and I feel she's due soon. If she could just get that mental aspect of her game together she'd be so much better. She and half the of the WTA tour LOL.
Her meltdowns are the worse of all top players. I was just thinking about that she has been pretty stable lately. But I want to think that she matured and most probably had some psychological help. At almost 26, it's about time for Vera to start fulfiling the potential that we all know she has.

LOL yeah her meltdowns are definitely the worst although Dinara can give her a run for her money in the headcase department. So much talent being wasted on the women's side.

I really hope Vera can stay focused but it always seems like she's one bad game away from regressing. A couple of years when she changed coaches and looked to have those issues under control then had that inexplicable meltdown in the YEC finals I was stunned.

I was thinking that with me at her side, she'll be much better. But that's just me daydreaming  ;)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Women's QF today. None of them looks that promising on paper but hopefully they'll be good. Venus is the only one left in the draw I like. Knowing her it'll probably be a tougher match than necessary match but I'm glad she's there at least. Lately my faves are all usually ousted in the early rounds.
It was MUCH tougher. Venus lost in straight sets to Pironkova. Huge surprise. But it opens a door to Zvonoreva, who just beat Clijsters, to reach the finals. I like Vera, she has the talent but very weak mentally. Hopefully, she can do it this time, though I'm not sure anyone can beat Serena at this poit. She looked very intimidating against Sharapova yesterday.
I'm happy for Vera. I like to see new faces advancing. The problem with her is she hasn't had a meltdown in a while and I feel she's due soon. If she could just get that mental aspect of her game together she'd be so much better. She and half the of the WTA tour LOL.
Her meltdowns are the worse of all top players. I was just thinking about that she has been pretty stable lately. But I want to think that she matured and most probably had some psychological help. At almost 26, it's about time for Vera to start fulfiling the potential that we all know she has.

LOL yeah her meltdowns are definitely the worst although Dinara can give her a run for her money in the headcase department. So much talent being wasted on the women's side.

I really hope Vera can stay focused but it always seems like she's one bad game away from regressing. A couple of years when she changed coaches and looked to have those issues under control then had that inexplicable meltdown in the YEC finals I was stunned.

I was thinking that with me at her side, she'll be much better. But that's just me daydreaming  ;)

LOL I thought Elena was your girl. Or is out of sight out of mind?
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

I was thinking that with me at her side, she'll be much better. But that's just me daydreaming  ;)

LOL I thought Elena was your girl. Or is out of sight out of mind?
I like them both the same. Luckily in tennis, polygamy is allowed. While Elena is injured, I have more time for Vera  :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Hey, just got back home!  I missed a lot today, I guess.  Just in time to see Serena serve for the match...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I will have to read back over your posts to see what happened!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
So Misha who do you root for in an Elena/Vera game?
@tb18 I didn't watch the Serena/Li match. I'm watching Kvitova/Kanepi I thought their match would be more competitive.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
So Misha who do you root for in an Elena/Vera game?
@tb18 I didn't watch the Serena/Li match. I'm watching Kvitova/Kanepi I thought their match would be more competitive.
Well, that's like watching your kids play each other. You root for both and whatever happens, happens.
The Immortals:

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Federer down two sets to one to Berdyc...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Federer is almost out and with the way he played during the tournament, a totally deserved exit.
The Immortals:

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I have never seen Roger with this much lack of control...winning or losing... he just doesn't have any idea where Berdych is going...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
One thing you have to say about Federer...he won't quit!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Berdych seems like a good guy, and after his results in  the French and  again at Wimbledon (whether or not he goes further in Wimbledon this year) it looks like he has definitely arrived!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I felt really bad for Federer...he would play a few brilliant points, then seem to lose focus and commit an error.  I didn't see the whole match....was in and out  this morning, so it may just have looked that way from the little I actually saw. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
I felt really bad for Federer...he would play a few brilliant points, then seem to lose focus and commit an error.  I didn't see the whole match....was in and out  this morning, so it may just have looked that way from the little I actually saw. 
It was like that during the whole game. Missed so many relatively easy shots and looked uninspired. That was by far his worst Wimbledon in 8 years and continuation of his poor form of late. After making so many semi finals in a row in majors, he couldn't do it in the last two. I don't know if it's the motivation (won everything), change of priorities (family) or the natural decline. As the admirer of his talent, I hope to see him winning a few more majors.
The Immortals:

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not sure what's going on with Fed having trouble lately with all these players he hadn't lost to in eons. Today is shaping up to be a good day for the underdogs. I'm happy for Berdych. Maybe Tsonga can pull of an upset too. With the Nadal/Soderling match I can't figure out which one should be the underdog.