Author Topic: Wimbledon 2010  (Read 27751 times)

Re: Wimbledon 2010
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Arg I'm stuck at work just watching the matches on game cast.

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Hey, faf....fifth set for Roddick.  I don't know why, but I have never been that sold on Roddick.  I don't know if he chokes, or if he just isn't as talented as the top echelon...they keep saying he has "great heart"...he has come so close without clinching so many times...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Hey, faf....fifth set for Roddick.  I don't know why, but I have never been that sold on Roddick.  I don't know if he chokes, or if he just isn't as talented as the top echelon...they keep saying he has "great heart"...he has come so close without clinching so many times...
He's just not as creative as a true elite player, physically he's top notch though. I root for him as he was born in Omaha and is a Husker fan.

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
 ;D  And I root for him because he is an American.  I hope he pulls through this match...  Because I am a "spoiled brat"  it seems to me that I see a little of the "spoiled brat" in him, too!  That is just speculation on my part, though.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
;D  And I root for him because he is an American.  I hope he pulls through this match...  Because I am a "spoiled brat"  it seems to me that I see a little of the "spoiled brat" in him, too!  That is just speculation on my part, though.
Definitely is that part to him.

I like him a lot though, he's really funny at times in press conferences. I hope he breaks through and finally gets a second major with a late career resurgence. My heart broke for him when he lost 16-14 last year in the fifth set....

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
I agree.  I would like to see (although he is not "old") a late career resurgence, too.   I love "late bloomers"  ha ha ha ha.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
wooo wooo.  Here we go again!  6 all in the fifth set!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
wooo wooo.  Here we go again!  6 all in the fifth set!

Roddick's had several break chances before this point.

He's really shooting himself in the foot by the looks of it.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Well, I can't say it is an unexpected ending, although it was not the one I wanted.   Sometimes it just seems that he thinks "I just don't feel like fighting anymore..."  harsh, I know...I probably think that because I have felt like that at times...loser mentality!  ( ??? Don't worry about my emotional state, that has only happened to me in tennis!   ::) )
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Well, I can't say it is an unexpected ending, although it was not the one I wanted.   Sometimes it just seems that he thinks "I just don't feel like fighting anymore..."  harsh, I know...I probably think that because I have felt like that at times...loser mentality!  ( ??? Don't worry about my emotional state, that has only happened to me in tennis!   ::) )

Sorry tb18 that one of your faves lost today. Just the worst possible time to drop serve. I was hoping he could make a good run. Nadal and Fed are great and I'm a fan of both but other players really need to break their stranglehold on the slams. After he won the U.S Open I thought we'd see some changes but it's back to business as usual so far. Pity Del Potro is injured.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
Women's QF today. None of them looks that promising on paper but hopefully they'll be good. Venus is the only one left in the draw I like. Knowing her it'll probably be a tougher match than necessary match but I'm glad she's there at least. Lately my faves are all usually ousted in the early rounds.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Women's QF today. None of them looks that promising on paper but hopefully they'll be good. Venus is the only one left in the draw I like. Knowing her it'll probably be a tougher match than necessary match but I'm glad she's there at least. Lately my faves are all usually ousted in the early rounds.
It was MUCH tougher. Venus lost in straight sets to Pironkova. Huge surprise. But it opens a door to Zvonoreva, who just beat Clijsters, to reach the finals. I like Vera, she has the talent but very weak mentally. Hopefully, she can do it this time, though I'm not sure anyone can beat Serena at this poit. She looked very intimidating against Sharapova yesterday.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
It was MUCH tougher. Venus lost in straight sets to Pironkova. Huge surprise. But it opens a door to Zvonoreva, who just beat Clijsters, to reach the finals. I like Vera, she has the talent but very weak mentally. Hopefully, she can do it this time, though I'm not sure anyone can beat Serena at this poit. She looked very intimidating against Sharapova yesterday.

She got upset early in the AO by Pironkova  the last time they played so I thought it'd be tough but no excuse to lose like this on her best surface. Yeah I don't see anyone left beating Serena either but who knows maybe we can have a new slam winner again.

I'm happy for Vera. I like to see new faces advancing. The problem with her is she hasn't had a meltdown in a while and I feel she's due soon. If she could just get that mental aspect of her game together she'd be so much better. She and half the of the WTA tour LOL.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I'm happy for Vera. I like to see new faces advancing. The problem with her is she hasn't had a meltdown in a while and I feel she's due soon. If she could just get that mental aspect of her game together she'd be so much better. She and half the of the WTA tour LOL.
Her meltdowns are the worse of all top players. I was just thinking about that she has been pretty stable lately. But I want to think that she matured and most probably had some psychological help. At almost 26, it's about time for Vera to start fulfiling the potential that we all know she has.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
Her meltdowns are the worse of all top players. I was just thinking about that she has been pretty stable lately. But I want to think that she matured and most probably had some psychological help. At almost 26, it's about time for Vera to start fulfiling the potential that we all know she has.

LOL yeah her meltdowns are definitely the worst although Dinara can give her a run for her money in the headcase department. So much talent being wasted on the women's side.

I really hope Vera can stay focused but it always seems like she's one bad game away from regressing. A couple of years when she changed coaches and looked to have those issues under control then had that inexplicable meltdown in the YEC finals I was stunned.