Author Topic: Wimbledon 2010  (Read 27761 times)

Re: Wimbledon 2010
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
What a match!!! I'll go back to the chat room for a few minutes....hope you can make it in this time
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
46-46. One of them will collapse soon enough. They can't do it forever.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthδus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
misha...join us in the chat room
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Game stopped at 59-59. Will be resumed tomorrow.

They both are winners in my book.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthδus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I can't decide if I want this crazy match to end or not.

— It's the longest match in tennis history: 9 hours, 58 minutes. The previous record was 6 hours, 33 minutes.

— Longest set in tennis history: 118 games.

— Most games in Wimbledon history: 153 (previous record was 112).

— Both players broke the ATP record for most aces in a match. Isner had 98, Mahut hit 94. The previous record was 78. Combined, the two had 192 aces, more than double the old record of 84.

— The first four sets took 2 hours, 54 minutes. The fifth set is at 7 hours, 4 minutes and counting.

— The final set is longer than the previous longest match in tennis history. That was 6 hours, 33 minutes.

— Isner had four match points, one at 11-10, two others at 33-32 and another at 59-58. The first and last match points came nearly six hours apart.

— The players took their first bathroom break at 58-58. While walking in the tunnel, they exchanged pleasantries, the first time they had spoken all evening.

— Mahut only qualified for Wimbledon after winning a qualifier match in a 24-22 final set.

— The scoreboard stopped working at 47-47.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Isner-and-Mahut-deadlocked-at-59-59-in-historic-?urn=ten,250772
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I can't decide if I want this crazy match to end or not.

— It's the longest match in tennis history: 9 hours, 58 minutes. The previous record was 6 hours, 33 minutes.

— Longest set in tennis history: 118 games.

— Most games in Wimbledon history: 153 (previous record was 112).

— Both players broke the ATP record for most aces in a match. Isner had 98, Mahut hit 94. The previous record was 78. Combined, the two had 192 aces, more than double the old record of 84.

— The first four sets took 2 hours, 54 minutes. The fifth set is at 7 hours, 4 minutes and counting.

— The final set is longer than the previous longest match in tennis history. That was 6 hours, 33 minutes.

— Isner had four match points, one at 11-10, two others at 33-32 and another at 59-58. The first and last match points came nearly six hours apart.

— The players took their first bathroom break at 58-58. While walking in the tunnel, they exchanged pleasantries, the first time they had spoken all evening.

— Mahut only qualified for Wimbledon after winning a qualifier match in a 24-22 final set.

— The scoreboard stopped working at 47-47.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Isner-and-Mahut-deadlocked-at-59-59-in-historic-?urn=ten,250772

Holy feet on fire!  That's great for tennis!  Wow!  This will never be broken.  Never!

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Neither has even the slightest remotest chance in the next match.....but they'll be a champion of another sort and go down in history!

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When I first heard about the score I assumed they meant a tie-breaker (forgetting they don't do that in a 5th set - or is it just in a decisive set?)...Anyhow that scenario would likely be more improbable than this one. 

This is pretty much everything that's great about sports.  Competition can be a beautiful thing no matter what the level.  Too evenly matched sides, giving their all is great theater.
Yup

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
Neither has even the slightest remotest chance in the next match.....but they'll be a champion of another sort and go down in history!

No chance at all. The winner has to play an opponent tomorrow that has had 2 days off. If Isner wins he has to play doubles later today too. Such a pity they're putting this championship level effort into a 2nd round match.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
When I first heard about the score I assumed they meant a tie-breaker (forgetting they don't do that in a 5th set - or is it just in a decisive set?)...Anyhow that scenario would likely be more improbable than this one. 

This is pretty much everything that's great about sports.  Competition can be a beautiful thing no matter what the level.  Too evenly matched sides, giving their all is great theater.

Yep. No tie-breaker in a decisive set unless it's the U.S. Open.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
twinbree...just got home and turned it on...meet you in chat?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
hey guys...watch in chat....
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

No chance at all. The winner has to play an opponent tomorrow that has had 2 days off. If Isner wins he has to play doubles later today too. Such a pity they're putting this championship level effort into a 2nd round match.

come to think of it, they may have to forfeit, if not before the match, maybe after a set.  Using the arm like that to serve starts to get baseball pitcher-like at a certain point of overuse.  Not to mention the legs and movement.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff

come to think of it, they may have to forfeit, if not before the match, maybe after a set.  Using the arm like that to serve starts to get baseball pitcher-like at a certain point of overuse.  Not to mention the legs and movement.

Apparently they're both scheduled for doubles later but it'll probably get moved tomorrow. It'd be cruel to make them play tonight after 11! hours on the court the past 3 days.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Isner is playing again, down 6 -0, 5-3....looks like if he is going to win he will have to play anothr 5 setter!  What are the chances of that?  Slim or None?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...