Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76803 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm certain Brady is playing injured. He's fallen on his throwing arm a million times, and he's been flexing his hand/wrist for weeks now. He also missed 2 days of practice this week.

It's really unfortunate we traded Garoppolo, because even though there's no dropoff skill-wise for Brady, I'd wager a guess that his body won't hold up even until the end of next season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm certain Brady is playing injured. He's fallen on his throwing arm a million times, and he's been flexing his hand/wrist for weeks now. He also missed 2 days of practice this week.

It's really unfortunate we traded Garoppolo, because even though there's no dropoff skill-wise for Brady, I'd wager a guess that his body won't hold up even until the end of next season.

Yeah, he's been getting pounded pretty good most of the season, which doesn't bode well.

Van Noy and Flowers are massive losses.

Not that worried. Win the next 3 games and you are the 1 seed.

I'm pretty concerned they'll lose to Pittsburgh next week. They get Gronk back, which should help, but the Steelers just put up 39 points against a Ravens D that's been quite a bit better than New England's for most of the season. Then they host the Bills and Jets, two teams they should beat—but that's what I said about Miami, too. The Jets game especially could be a trap—it's the last game of the season, at home, against a team that just lost its starting QB for the season; that has "Patriots loss" written all over it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Help me out here: If we lose to the Steelers, could we end up as the third seed and not get that first-round bye?

Assume we lost to Pittsburgh and Jacksonville wins the next three. Both division leaders end up as 12-4.

Best as I can tell, here are the tie-breakers:
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/21/7345673/nfl-playoff-tiebreaker-rules-procedure-2014-afc-nfc

We both go 5-1 in the division.

Next tiebreaker is common games. We beat the Jets, but they beat the Steelers. We end up tied there.

In conference, though, we'll be 7-3, while they're 8-2.

Am I using the wrong tie-breakers, or is this a legit possibility?

Mike

« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Help me out here: If we lose to the Steelers, could we end up as the third seed and not get that first-round bye?

Assume we lost to Pittsburgh and Jacksonville wins the next three. Both division leaders end up as 12-4.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/21/7345673/nfl-playoff-tiebreaker-rules-procedure-2014-afc-nfc

Next tiebreaker is common games. We beat the Jets, but they beat the Steelers. We end up tied there.

Mike

If both teams go 12-4, Jags would get the 2 seed based on better conference record.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Mike

Not sure if you have it right, but I'd rather see the Pats NOT get a first-round bye; seems like the extra time off usually doesn't help them play better.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

Not sure if you have it right, but I'd rather see the Pats NOT get a first-round bye; seems like the extra time off usually doesn't help them play better.

All 5 of their Super Bowl wins have come with a first round bye.  All 7 appearances under Belichick have come with a 1st round bye.  You absolutely want the bye.  It's one less game to play.  Less wear & tear. 

« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Mike

Disagree. I think you take the first round bye 100/100 times. There's no guarantee of a win in the NFL. There are enough teams in the AFC that could beat NE, even at home. KC, Baltimore, and Jax could all pull out an upset. Heck, the Dolphins, a 12 pt underdog, just beat up the Pats. Any team can lose any game.

« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, he's been getting pounded pretty good most of the season, which doesn't bode well.

I'm pretty concerned they'll lose to Pittsburgh next week. They get Gronk back, which should help, but the Steelers just put up 39 points against a Ravens D that's been quite a bit better than New England's for most of the season. Then they host the Bills and Jets, two teams they should beat—but that's what I said about Miami, too. The Jets game especially could be a trap—it's the last game of the season, at home, against a team that just lost its starting QB for the season; that has "Patriots loss" written all over it.
The Steelers put up 39 points on a great Ravens D but they also got torched by a mediocre Ravens offense.

Shazier is incredibly important to that defense. Without him they are a bad defensive team. Everything they did was built around his speed at linebacker.

The team is coming off a loss. Gronk should be extra fresh. Hopefully Flowers, Van Noy and Waddle are back. Dont see a reason to panic. They played a bad game against a very fired up Dolphins team in Miami. Expect a comfortable win next week.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
HCA throughout the playoffs or bust. This team is not healthy enough (or perhaps even good enough) to make it to the Superbowl otherwise.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
HCA throughout the playoffs or bust. This team is not healthy enough (or perhaps even good enough) to make it to the Superbowl otherwise.
Eh. Not sure I agree.

This team isnt a great patriots team, but they are still very good and when Gronk, Van Noy and Flowers are on the field, they are the best team in the AFC.

If they fall to the 2 seed, I see no reason why they couldnt go into Pittsburgh and and win the AFCCG.

The concern would be falling to the 3 seed. As long as they get that bye, they should be favored to come out of the AFC.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Mike

All 5 of their Super Bowl wins have come with a first round bye.  All 7 appearances under Belichick have come with a 1st round bye.  You absolutely want the bye.  It's one less game to play.  Less wear & tear.

Well, they've also been knocked out of the playoffs, either one or two weeks after having a bye, in 4 of the last 7 years (’10, ’12, ’13, ’15). I agree that more rest, less wear and tear, and more prep time generally are good things, but it often doesn't equate to wins for the Patriots.

The Steelers put up 39 points on a great Ravens D but they also got torched by a mediocre Ravens offense.

Shazier is incredibly important to that defense. Without him they are a bad defensive team. Everything they did was built around his speed at linebacker.

The team is coming off a loss. Gronk should be extra fresh. Hopefully Flowers, Van Noy and Waddle are back. Dont see a reason to panic. They played a bad game against a very fired up Dolphins team in Miami. Expect a comfortable win next week.

Yeah, the Steelers offense hasn't been anything special this season, despite still being ranked in the top 10 (they've given up tons of big plays), but the Miami defense has been considerably worse (ranked No. 16 right now) and the Pats struggled to score 20 points against it. Gronk's absence was a big deal, but the team still has enough weapons that the offense shouldn't have struggled against Miami. Brady was off, and the only guys who didn't seem discombobulated were Burkhead and Lewis.

I certainly hope for a bounceback effort, but it's gonna be tough.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:10:26 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Pats signed Kenny Britt through 2018. Very interesting
#JKJB

« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Eh. Not sure I agree.

This team isnt a great patriots team, but they are still very good and when Gronk, Van Noy and Flowers are on the field, they are the best team in the AFC.

If they fall to the 2 seed, I see no reason why they couldnt go into Pittsburgh and and win the AFCCG.

The concern would be falling to the 3 seed. As long as they get that bye, they should be favored to come out of the AFC.
Yeah, we had exactly the same discussion when they had to go to Denver. Now, I realize that playing at Mile High is different, but I don't feel this team is good enough to afford giving other teams a handicap. I also don't think Brady's health will be trending up for the rest of this season, bye week or no bye week.

« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Mike

Well, they've also been knocked out of the playoffs, either one or two weeks after having a bye, in 4 of the last 7 years (’10, ’12, ’13, ’15). I agree that more rest, less wear and tear, and more prep time generally are good things, but it often doesn't equate to wins for the Patriots.

Yeah, the Steelers offense hasn't been anything special this season, despite still being ranked in the top 10 (they've given up tons of big plays), but the Miami defense has been considerably worse (ranked No. 16 right now) and the Pats struggled to score 20 points against it. Gronk's absence was a big deal, but the team still has enough weapons that the offense shouldn't have struggled against Miami. Brady was off, and the only guys who didn't seem discombobulated were Burkhead and Lewis.

I certainly hope for a bounceback effort, but it's gonna be tough.
Steelers defense - Shazier is a whole different animal than the top 10 ranked Steelers defense.

Also, losing 1 or 2 weeks after a bye isnt a noteworthy stat.

There are only 3 possible weeks after a bye. Bye weeks are good. The idea that it is better to play a football game against a team good enough to make the playoffs is better than resting for a week seems absurd to me.

« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

'10 is the only time they've lost with a bye.  The other three really have no relevance to downtime at all.  They won the divisional game before losing in the AFCCG each of those times.  I don't think anyone was pointing a finger at the bye being their undoing after any of those three losses. 

When has playing on wild card weekend actually benefited the Patriots?