Author Topic: I need your opinion  (Read 9769 times)

Re: I need your opinion
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Goaltend and No foul.

Boy, I'm glad UAAP still solid and kicking. It's been years. I remember hating Mike Cortez...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The ball has gone above the rim and is pretty close to the hoop which means more than likely it's on the way down: tick for goaltending.

For the second one... no blood, no foul.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'd say goaltend, and *probably* a foul, but it's hard to tell from that angle.  Also, I don't know how much contact is generally allowed in the game over there, etc.

Both are very close calls, though, especially in real time.  Even if the calls went against your team, I don't think it's evidence of "the refs are out to screw us", like you hear so often on this board.

Well the losing team (UST) is filing a protest for a re-playing the game. A win would potentially bring them to a 3-way tie for first place, while losing would place them most likely at 3rd, with a twice to beat disadvantage against a team they haven't beaten this season, so there's a lot at stake at this game and fans are having very heated discussions.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd say goaltend, and *probably* a foul, but it's hard to tell from that angle.  Also, I don't know how much contact is generally allowed in the game over there, etc.

Both are very close calls, though, especially in real time.  Even if the calls went against your team, I don't think it's evidence of "the refs are out to screw us", like you hear so often on this board.

Well the losing team (UST) is filing a protest for a re-playing the game. A win would potentially bring them to a 3-way tie for first place, while losing would place them most likely at 3rd, with a twice to beat disadvantage against a team they haven't beaten this season, so there's a lot at stake at this game and fans are having very heated discussions.

To me, that's silly.  Those are extremely close calls, that are going to happen in any game.  No game in the history of basketball has gotten absolutely every call correct.  Neither call was blatantly wrong, and if the calls had gone the other way, I'd be saying the same thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm going to take the other side on the goal tending call.  It looked ridiculously close.  Whether that ball had reached it's apex or not is a matter of fractions of inches.

Also, something that seems to be overlooked so far in this thread is that it looked to me like there was very little chance of the ball actually going in.  The trajectory of the shot looked like it was destined to hit the bottom of the rim at best. 

Finally, it didn't look like the refs called goaltending initially.  They overturned their call after a brief discussion (I don't know if they looked at video or not).  From what I could see, there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the initial non goal-tending call.

As to contact on the break-away dunk, I feel like that one could have been called either way, but there isn't enough there for anyone to get worked up over.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

To me, that's silly.  Those are extremely close calls, that are going to happen in any game.  No game in the history of basketball has gotten absolutely every call correct.  Neither call was blatantly wrong, and if the calls had gone the other way, I'd be saying the same thing.

I agree with you. Protests and game redos are bad for the game. The goaltending call was actually reviewed by the refs via replay before making the call, and a previous ruling from the commissioner about a similar situation said goaltending calls are not grounds for protest. although stranger things have happened like what happened to two other teams whose game was going to be restarted due to a buzzer beater shot which the ref and commissioner already decided counted but was overturned by the league board (composed of representatives by the participating schools, which means there would be biases)

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
I'm going to take the other side on the goal tending call.  It looked ridiculously close.  Whether that ball had reached it's apex or not is a matter of fractions of inches.

Also, something that seems to be overlooked so far in this thread is that it looked to me like there was very little chance of the ball actually going in.  The trajectory of the shot looked like it was destined to hit the bottom of the rim at best. 

Finally, it didn't look like the refs called goaltending initially.  They overturned their call after a brief discussion (I don't know if they looked at video or not).  From what I could see, there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the initial non goal-tending call.

As to contact on the break-away dunk, I feel like that one could have been called either way, but there isn't enough there for anyone to get worked up over.

they called the foul initially, and waited to see the videos before calling goaltending.

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Goaltend bcz it does look to be on its way down when you see the angle from behind the goal
Foul from contact in the air. Defender tried to go after the ball to pin it against backboard. Foul.
Unless its LeBron
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
folks that say that was not a foul are pretty tough since the video shows the defender whacking the shooter over across the head/face.

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
From the angle on that camera, I'd say goaltend.

And the dude was elbowed in the head in midair, along with a minor collision. Foul in the NBA. Not sure about anywhere else. Either way, I;m glad they didn't call it.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Goaltending and foul.

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Tough call on the GT but that dunk foul was OBVIOUS! I mean dude took one to the head! He didn't look for the foul b/c he was probably ecstatic after that nice slam!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
First time I watched the alleged goaltend video, I thought goaltend, looked to me like it had just slightly started on it's downward path.  Watched it a few more times and my opinion never changed.

First time I saw the dunk.  I thought no foul, but wouldn't be surprised if one was called.  Watched the replay and watched it a few more times, now I think definitely a foul.  A lot of contact there, even if it's after the dunk, contact after a shot is still supposed to be called.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class