Author Topic: the open roster spot  (Read 4565 times)

Re: the open roster spot
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Chase Buddinger reported to being bought out by Indy.

That's weird - why would you even take a buyout (almost always leaving $ on the table) when nobody going to the playoffs will want to sign you?  Maybe he has something lined up with a lotto team like Minny where he used to play. 

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't get how Hunter can be classified as a huge disappointment.... It baffles me. Wasnt he like the 28th pick?! How many late first round picks are even rotation players at any point in their career much less as rookies. He is a rookie !!! Plus all of our best players are guard\wings.

I very much agree.  It's more like people had completely unrealistic expectations for a late first round pick.  Hard to imagine on this board, I know. 

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Reserved for Durrant

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Chase Buddinger reported to being bought out by Indy.

That's weird - why would you even take a buyout (almost always leaving $ on the table) when nobody going to the playoffs will want to sign you?  Maybe he has something lined up with a lotto team like Minny where he used to play.

Rumor that he has something already lined up with a Western Conference team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Cap space to absorb Anthony  Davis' albatross contract.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ray Allen

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Reserved for Durrant
Yup, when they cut him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
hey 2016 thanks for rollie article tps everyday of the week for that
,the guy is a winner" i talked to him a couple of years ago after over 50years" i remember you the skinny kid that was all over the court" that said, maybe  is why i identify with hunter
 he had a 14pt game with red claws last night 6-10 and 1-3 on three pointers, 2 blocks-with a couple nice assists
would like to watch rj at practice 
i think he feels betrayed by his shot and all those dnps don't help your game legs when called in for garbage minutes-

This might seem ridiculous, but NBA players are the equivalent of golfers. There are so many things in golf that must be mastered, that if any one part of the game is not figured out, the person will probably become some novelty act.

I once saw there was this one guy who can drive the ball the farthest. Yet he is not a professional tour player. He can't do anything but drive it like a pro.

It's the same in basketball. If any one part of the game is missing, a player must be hidden.

Bad free throw shooters are hurt by Hack-a-Shaq.

Think of Phil Pressey if he had been a better jump shooter.

Think of Marcus Smart and his ceiling. If Marcus is average on offense, he becomes a borderline all-star. If Smart figures out offense, he could be the best player in the whole league.

Look at Kelly Olynyk or Avery. Kelly was thrown around like a rag doll. His defense looked weak in year one. He lifted weights. He studies the film or I am not sure how Kelly improved on defense, but most people say he has.

Avery is the reason why we can never give up on a player's ceiling too soon.

There is always something for a player to improve on.

Avery needs to learn how to pass the ball. That seems to be the only thing left missing from his game.

Bradley can now dribble. He can drive to the hoop. He can shoot just below the level of a natural or has become a natural at it.

Even Isaiah has a hole or two in his game that makes it impossible to know how his story ends. Will he stop running into traffic and coughing up the ball? Will he become less streaky as an outside shooter? How does a guy hit all his free throws, yet sometimes or more often than one would like, he shoots 1-9 and looks like a young Rondo or name the player one wouldn't want shooting the ball, Tony Allen or Gerald Wallace, or Evan Turner from deep.

Turner. He has turned a corner. He can practice his outside shot. He needs to maintain that automatic feeling from 10 to 15 feet. He probably just had a bad game.

With people leaving college after one year and with most teams going up and down from treadmill to tanking not knowing what direction to go, the draft has become 100% crapshoot. Bennett was a bust. Evan Turner was a bust, but now maybe he isn't. People say he is finally playing like a #2 overall pick. I wouldn't go that far. I think Turner is in the right place at the right time. He has done everything asked of him and even now seems to let Smart bring up the ball and let him develop. The key is to win games. The key isn't to watch a Jordan Crawford win player of the week on a bad team.

Crowder also proves we just don't know how these players will develop.

Jerebko might be "just not good enough."

It's like how tall kids are always assumed to be basketball players. Maybe they aren't good at it? Maybe they'd rather play the piano or learn ballet? Or maybe not ballet because we are macho guys talking sports.

I am not giving up on Hunter.

I like to see older people like Massimino still at it. I miss Tommy doing road games, but we still have him at home.

Tommy is proof no one knows what is going on. He used to praise Walter McCarty. Walter was okay, never that good. Thankfully, Brad Stevens does not get into pigeon holing his players. He doesn't assume guys like Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford are scrubs. It also looks like Olynyk is Brad's version of Francona sticking with Pedroia.

I'm hoping Kelly takes the next step. There are certain guys on this team who have flaws in their game, but they play the right way and tend to win the game. Just win, baby, is what people say.

These guys are similar to the 2004 Red Sox Idiots. They are crazy enough to not care what anyone else thinks. They are playing for the love of the game. That can't be taught. It's something that forms in kids and young adults.

All the guys on the Celtics have chips on their shoulders. A guy like Amir Johnson has been a decent pro for a long time but has gotten little recognition. I sense he is the poor man's KG and the C's are trying to manage his plantar fasciitis. We are going nowhere without Amir Johnson or if Danny cannot coax 400 pound Shaq out of retirement. I am a believer in not giving up on players or at least leaving room to acknowledge that I was wrong. Turner is not Evan Turnover anymore. Kelly is probably more good at defense than serviceable if we can cut him some slack. Isaiah for his turnovers is a magician with the ball. Bradley is not as inept a ball handler as he used to be.

RJ Hunter seems to have overall skills that Young does not.

However, none us are psychic, so we shall have to wait and see and hope for the best.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kelly was thrown around like a rag doll. His defense looked weak in year one. He lifted weights. He studies the film or I am not sure how Kelly improved on defense, but most people say he has.
Mobility and awareness. Instead of being a step slow everywhere, he's now at a point where he can recognize situations and close out angles better than he did last year. Part of this is better physical shape, but another part is just experience and familiarity. You'd be amazed how much half a step can mean in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
hey 2016 thanks for rollie article tps everyday of the week for that
,the guy is a winner" i talked to him a couple of years ago after over 50years" i remember you the skinny kid that was all over the court" that said, maybe  is why i identify with hunter
 he had a 14pt game with red claws last night 6-10 and 1-3 on three pointers, 2 blocks-with a couple nice assists
would like to watch rj at practice 
i think he feels betrayed by his shot and all those dnps don't help your game legs when called in for garbage minutes-

This might seem ridiculous, but NBA players are the equivalent of golfers. There are so many things in golf that must be mastered, that if any one part of the game is not figured out, the person will probably become some novelty act.

I once saw there was this one guy who can drive the ball the farthest. Yet he is not a professional tour player. He can't do anything but drive it like a pro.

It's the same in basketball. If any one part of the game is missing, a player must be hidden.

Bad free throw shooters are hurt by Hack-a-Shaq.

Think of Phil Pressey if he had been a better jump shooter.

Think of Marcus Smart and his ceiling. If Marcus is average on offense, he becomes a borderline all-star. If Smart figures out offense, he could be the best player in the whole league.

Look at Kelly Olynyk or Avery. Kelly was thrown around like a rag doll. His defense looked weak in year one. He lifted weights. He studies the film or I am not sure how Kelly improved on defense, but most people say he has.

Avery is the reason why we can never give up on a player's ceiling too soon.

There is always something for a player to improve on.

Avery needs to learn how to pass the ball. That seems to be the only thing left missing from his game.

Bradley can now dribble. He can drive to the hoop. He can shoot just below the level of a natural or has become a natural at it.

Even Isaiah has a hole or two in his game that makes it impossible to know how his story ends. Will he stop running into traffic and coughing up the ball? Will he become less streaky as an outside shooter? How does a guy hit all his free throws, yet sometimes or more often than one would like, he shoots 1-9 and looks like a young Rondo or name the player one wouldn't want shooting the ball, Tony Allen or Gerald Wallace, or Evan Turner from deep.

Turner. He has turned a corner. He can practice his outside shot. He needs to maintain that automatic feeling from 10 to 15 feet. He probably just had a bad game.

With people leaving college after one year and with most teams going up and down from treadmill to tanking not knowing what direction to go, the draft has become 100% crapshoot. Bennett was a bust. Evan Turner was a bust, but now maybe he isn't. People say he is finally playing like a #2 overall pick. I wouldn't go that far. I think Turner is in the right place at the right time. He has done everything asked of him and even now seems to let Smart bring up the ball and let him develop. The key is to win games. The key isn't to watch a Jordan Crawford win player of the week on a bad team.

Crowder also proves we just don't know how these players will develop.

Jerebko might be "just not good enough."

It's like how tall kids are always assumed to be basketball players. Maybe they aren't good at it? Maybe they'd rather play the piano or learn ballet? Or maybe not ballet because we are macho guys talking sports.

I am not giving up on Hunter.

I like to see older people like Massimino still at it. I miss Tommy doing road games, but we still have him at home.

Tommy is proof no one knows what is going on. He used to praise Walter McCarty. Walter was okay, never that good. Thankfully, Brad Stevens does not get into pigeon holing his players. He doesn't assume guys like Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford are scrubs. It also looks like Olynyk is Brad's version of Francona sticking with Pedroia.

I'm hoping Kelly takes the next step. There are certain guys on this team who have flaws in their game, but they play the right way and tend to win the game. Just win, baby, is what people say.

These guys are similar to the 2004 Red Sox Idiots. They are crazy enough to not care what anyone else thinks. They are playing for the love of the game. That can't be taught. It's something that forms in kids and young adults.

All the guys on the Celtics have chips on their shoulders. A guy like Amir Johnson has been a decent pro for a long time but has gotten little recognition. I sense he is the poor man's KG and the C's are trying to manage his plantar fasciitis. We are going nowhere without Amir Johnson or if Danny cannot coax 400 pound Shaq out of retirement. I am a believer in not giving up on players or at least leaving room to acknowledge that I was wrong. Turner is not Evan Turnover anymore. Kelly is probably more good at defense than serviceable if we can cut him some slack. Isaiah for his turnovers is a magician with the ball. Bradley is not as inept a ball handler as he used to be.

RJ Hunter seems to have overall skills that Young does not.

However, none us are psychic, so we shall have to wait and see and hope for the best.

its tommy point time

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 09:46:33 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Mobility and awareness. Instead of being a step slow everywhere, he's now at a point where he can recognize situations and close out angles better than he did last year. Part of this is better physical shape, but another part is just experience and familiarity. You'd be amazed how much half a step can mean in the NBA.

I'm glad you think Olynyk has improved on defense. Kelly was never a center until recently. I think he is working out as well as could be expected. I can't imagine how he was ever that good at point guard. He has some deceptive speed. He carves out a lot of space by just existing.

I also think Kelly gets penalized for looking awkward. Perk used to get called for something even though he wasn't doing anything wrong, so Doc called up the league office and asked for relief.

Zeller just got abused by Porzingis. He had a look like what am I supposed to do to stop that? Too bad Kelly has those dinosaur arms.

Sully's got the arms but not the height. We needed to draft Sullynyk.

So yes, Kelly will naturally get better due to the passing of time. Zeller has the center position as second nature. He had that massive head start on Kelly. But Olynyk can do things Tyler cannot. Even when crap shoots make it to the NBA, they become further crap shoots as to their futures as scrubs, rotation guys, or starters.

The best thing about the Celtics is all these guys have seven to ten years left of prime except for Amir. Danny will have to get creative and package off some of the crap shoot potential in return for a more consolidated roster, to basically trim off the deadwood. There is the rub, as it is not always easy to agree on these guys.

And now all this drama goes on year round. That is another benefit to not tanking. We basically just need Marcus Smart to emerge on offense and we are all set for ten years, imho.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:13 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
its tommy point time
We just won. 15 straight at home.

Sometimes I channel Bob Ryan and it gets out of control. Thanks.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
How about this guy:  http://dleague.nba.com/games/20160303/iwamne/

Been on a tear of late, good rebounder and shooting 39% from 3.

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
There's a good reason why we didn't sign nobody yet to fill that last roster spot. First one is that few quality veterans chose to play for title contenders and second one is that Danny is waiting for the right chance knowing there's still enough time. Taking a quick look at the teams rosters here are some of the players that maybe, just maybe, might be available till the end of the season and that way potential candidate for our last spot. First of all, the list contains only pf and c as this is our weakest spot. Second one is that the list is based only on my subjective perception that their teams might not need them in the future. Who knows, maybe one of this players will be our little help in the post season.

Omer Asik
Roy Hibbert
Tyler Hansbrough
Udnis Haslem
Spencer Hawes
Chris Kaman
Nene
Adreian Payne
Kendrick Perkins
Kevin Seraphin
Jason Smith
Brendan Wright