Author Topic: the open roster spot  (Read 4565 times)

the open roster spot
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:31:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
joe johnson stepped right up for miami scoring 24pts in most efficient manner 10-13 and 2 for three on 3 pointers-
is mickey getting time to help decide who or what position will be filled
that was a very nice pickup for miami
during trade deadline would have been nice to pick up tobias harris
with this roster space open have celts given any indication of who they may sign?
as to david lee he scored 7 pts in 15minutes last night
tim frazier is back with red claws after some nba callups ,he was d league MVP and seems a true point guard
i think his feel for game eclipses rozier at moment
at some point it is inevitable  smart,isaiah,avery will suffer some form of injury ,wrist ankle and need some time off
in myview rozier is far from stepping in to a meaningful role,how about marcus thornton just in case isaiah gets hurt-

Re: the open roster spot
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:58:32 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Some of these guys are clearly not ready and will probably be inconsistent if relied on.

Rozier
Young
Hunter
Mickey

Maybe one or two of the above are NBA ready on one side of the court. Hunter has been the biggest disappointment because he seemed ready to go.

Young might get a chance because he'll never be back now after what he's shown. Maybe he will get one more chance.

Smart and Bradley are good, but we need a tall SG. We needed Hunter or Young to produce.

We seem okay at pg and center if Amir can hold up. We are obviously all set at PF. Crowder is great, but I don't see who his backup is, although that would have to be Evan Turner. The consensus seems to be Jerebko is more PF than SF.

I don't know if we'll pick up a real 15th guy. I'd like to see a Marcus Camby or Shaq type at the end of his career. He'd be a player like no one else on the team.

Otherwise, there is no reason to be negative and expect the worst in the playoffs. We could knock off Cleveland or maybe Toronto will. I doubt we could beat Golden State, but I wouldn't be surprised with winning one or two from them.

A lot of people act like they knew the whole time the Celtics were this good. Brad Stevens is not Popovich part 2. He is Ken Howard from the White Shadow. Most NBA teams are about divas and getting paid, showing off moves, while Brad is old-school and a team grows.

Those LeBron star teams are extremely overrated. The Celtics used to have no problem with Superman in Orlando or LeBron in Cleveland. Maybe we beat Miami LeBron if Wade doesn't tear Rondo's arm off. A lot of people complain about Rondo, and he does seem a bit spoiled at times, but he had his arm chisel slammed by Wade. His achilles exploded another time. He has had a rough time.

The Celtics cannot not become a great team. It will take another year or two once the asset chips get played or unexpected fireworks. I like it slow and steady. Once you go all in, a guy like KG can blow out his knee and bye bye championship glory and future.

This Crowder guy could be the next Kawhi Leonard or Draymond Green. I am no expert, but he has been hitting his jumpers. Hunter despite bad college shooting was expected to be a marksman. Crowder looked inept. Now Crowder is Steph Curry and RJ is Rasheed Wallace shooting threes.

I expect Smart to end up like Crowder and surprise people with his shooting. Hopefully Olynyk comes back soon. He was just starting to put it together. Thankfully Amir looks a bit more mobile lately. Sully looks bigger, but I have to admit he is productive. Zeller is having ups and downs, but Mickey looks raw on offense. The team will look quite different next year. We just only know the candidates for the Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass farewell tour.

Tonight should be a good game. Portland is on a roll and we are missing Kelly. But it is a home game and the C's have a pretty good record now for home games.

50 wins is looking quite probable. Stevens will probably get second place for coach of the year behind Golden State. It's hard to beat a team with the best record of all-time or it looks like they have that.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Some of these guys are clearly not ready and will probably be inconsistent if relied on.

Rozier
Young
Hunter
Mickey

I see ppl bringing this up a lot. Esp. given that we have so many picks it seems that several of the above players will be gone.

Personally, I'm not so sure.

Rozier and Mickey are not going anywhere at least for the next season: Mickey was p good both in the d-league and in his limited mins with the team (esp. against Utah);

Ainge defended his decision of Rozier just the other day on an interview, where he (subtly) alluded to the fans getting angry with Nash getting picked at 15 while he was the coach of the Suns (Rozier was picked at 16) - you can find this at the end of the audio interview here (not mentioned in the text summary) http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/03/02/celtics-offense-danny-ainge-toucher-and-rich/

About Young and Hunter: it is true that they had disappointing seasons, but, look, Young is only 20 yo, this means he could well be drafted this year...

Per Hunter fans had to great expectations after the summer league, Larbrd33 had made at the time a nice table showing that good numbers in d-league do not immediately translate into NBA results, but I do not think the message got across.

Even if they wanted to trade them now, they would have to give them almost for free a la Dwight Powell, and I do not think DA values them as little as a 45 pick who ended in Boston by chance.

They will both probably at least one more year with the team.

Now, they might have to move some of the above around a la Marcus Thornton Jr to fit the magical number 15 for our roster. But I do not think they are getting traded or let go so soon.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Mickey is the one guy who hasn't gotten a true opportunity. Young is the only C of the four raw players I am tired of. My concerns are for this year and the playoffs. Hunter is an extreme disappointment, but he could be a decent crapshoot for insurance, like a Phil Pressey.

I finally saw Mickey and he looks perfect. Jerebko has serious competition for athletic PF. He better stop looking foolish on lay up drives.

Kelly's injury might be a blessing in disguise.

I like Rozier. He doesn't look ready compared to Mickey or Hunter.

I'd give Young one more chance. He needs to shoot and at an efficient rate. I need to see him fitting in well on defense. If I'm Danny, this is the last chance to take a hard look at James Young.

Yes, we have a million draft picks. If James Young is not a player, he is not coming back. He should know the clock is ticking and do something about it. He'll probably get traded.

Mickey and Hunter, then Rozier seem to be our farm system. Jerebko and Zeller are also on the clock. Hopefully, they do not overthink it like I do and be more like Brass and Humphries, Celtics to the last day.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get out of the first round. That is probably the challenge. Being NBA journeymen for most players isn't a hidden mystery. This is a fun season to watch and there will definitely be major Danny movement in the off-season.

The C's could win it all. There could be a fluke domino of effects. As long as the C's keep improving, they will be the Butler of the NBA. The problem with that is I don't think Butler ever won it all. Villanova did with Rollie Massimino.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
By the way, Rollie is still coaching at age 81 while we discuss James Young and is Marcus Camby done? I guess Houston didn't want to give away Dwight Howard for our draft pick scraps, Sully, Lee, Young, Rozier and Ty Zeller.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/16/sports/rollie-massiminos-latest-act-a-smaller-stage-but-just-as-frenetic.html

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Do we even take Young's fourth-year option at this point? He's shown absolutely nothing and roster spots are a precious commodity for us

Great words from a great man

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't get how Hunter can be classified as a huge disappointment.... It baffles me. Wasnt he like the 28th pick?! How many late first round picks are even rotation players at any point in their career much less as rookies. He is a rookie !!! Plus all of our best players are guard\wings.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Do we even take Young's fourth-year option at this point? He's shown absolutely nothing and roster spots are a precious commodity for us

I didn't think we should have picked up his year 3 option, and I stand by that.

As for the 15th roster spot, if the Spurs sign Kevin Martin and release Jonathan Simmons, I'd want Ainge to put in a waiver claim.  I don't care that he wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

I didn't think we should have picked up his year 3 option, and I stand by that.

As for the 15th roster spot, if the Spurs sign Kevin Martin and release Jonathan Simmons, I'd want Ainge to put in a waiver claim.  I don't care that he wouldn't be eligible for the postseason.

I guess we can just throw him in as trade filler over the summer if it comes to that. Small rookie contracts are pretty liquid even if the attached player is a pile of unrealized potential.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:39:34 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
I don't get how Hunter can be classified as a huge disappointment.... It baffles me. Wasnt he like the 28th pick?! How many late first round picks are even rotation players at any point in their career much less as rookies. He is a rookie !!! Plus all of our best players are guard\wings.

Hunter is a disappointment in that he was plugged as a good shooter and he looks worse than Marcus Smart. Overall, though, he looks like a future rotation player if he can improve on his jump shot. James Young looks to be a pure shooter, but he doesn't seem as well-rounded a player as RJ Hunter. Rozier is also a long-term project.

I agree Hunter is going nowhere and is not an overall disappointment, at least not yet. He just doesn't seem ready to help in the playoffs.

We definitely need to sign a decent 15th man and play Mickey. Some rookies are ready to contribute. If I am someone who likes to go to the hoop, I don't want to see Jordan Mickey. I know he has only played 24 minutes and mostly garbage time, but his stats are insane.

I think Jordan Mickey will make the outskirts of the rotation for the playoffs and be in it next year. I am not sure about Hunter, but maybe. It will be interesting if Danny can find a free agent to add. Getting Kelly Olynyk back will feel like getting a late season bonus.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 04:47:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
 hey 2016 thanks for rollie article tps everyday of the week for that
,the guy is a winner" i talked to him a couple of years ago after over 50years" i remember you the skinny kid that was all over the court" that said, maybe  is why i identify with hunter
 he had a 14pt game with red claws last night 6-10 and 1-3 on three pointers, 2 blocks-with a couple nice assists
would like to watch rj at practice 
i think he feels betrayed by his shot and all those dnps don't help your game legs when called in for garbage minutes-
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:13:00 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:19:51 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Chase Buddinger reported to being bought out by Indy.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't get how Hunter can be classified as a huge disappointment.... It baffles me.

I think some wrongly read him as a shooter, which he is not.  He was a volume scorer in college.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

whats danny waiting for? trader dan is suspiciously quiet--

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The problem is, he's getting bought out after March 1st so he can't be on the playoff roster.

I'd rather just give a d leaguer a chance if the guy has no shot at playoff minutes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19