Author Topic: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent  (Read 9593 times)

Re: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Tank

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tank

I basically asked on previously page how possible a tank is with guys on our roster that make us better. Wondering how we can shed some of these guys because I can't see Brad outright tanking.. thinking he will do his best to win with the roster he has, just like this year.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I think if they decide to tank, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Brad Stevens leave next summer.  It's a tough call.  Great coach,  but long term getting better players  up top of the draft might be the only way to go.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The bottom line is this. SIGN MONROE!

Monroe can't do this, can't play that, who gives a f#ck. He is a big who will get better. He fits a need. He is young.

If this player ends up in NY, Ainge needs to go!

Zeller, Bass, Crowder Olynyk all suck. They are flawed. Save the coin, make a trade, and sign somebody!!

I don't want to hear about "we tried", "it takes two", make a f##king deal! Overpay, get something done!

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think we are all in agreement here, the time has come to stop trying to piece a roster together that can compete immediately. I find looking at the roster in terms of championship caliber helps to evaluate the talent. For each player, you can stop and question "where would this player fit into the next Cs championship squad?"

In my humble opinion, Smart can be a starting 3rd or 4th offensive option on a championship squad who is also the best defensive guard in the league.

IT- can definitely be a 6th man ala jamal crawford on the next championship squad.

Zeller- Backup Center- would be one of the best backup centers in the league.

Young/Hunter - whichever one of these guys really takes the initiative and lives up to their potential could be that SG of the future. I personally like Young's game better.

Crowder/Jerebko - hustle guys who could contribute in a 3 and D role, yet at what price?

Outside of that I really don't see many players on our squad contributing to a championship caliber team. Unlike some people on this forum, I don't necessarily see Rozier as the second coming of Westbrook or Rose. He MIGHT become a Bledsoe if he lives up to his potential. Also Kelly if he gets it all together could be a force off the bench. Sully seems to not be able to shed his weight problems, which honestly happens. Move on.

This leaves us with 1 maybe 2 of our starting guards filled, and huge talent holes from 3-5. If we do move on and play the young guys, they should be able to develop, while allowing us a chance to fill a hole at 3-5 next year. Next years draft class appears to be heavy at the top with good players at 3-5, so if while developing Smart and the youngins, we happen to get into the range to snag one of those guys, we would take a step forward. Obviously rookies can always never live up to the hype, but as others have pointed out, this summer was the one to take advantage of cap space on high level talent.

After 2 years into the rebuild, taking a step back to increase to playing time of our young guys while pruning the roster seems like the best route to take. Personally I think it will be a fun ride to follow.
#JKJB

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
r each player, you can stop and question "where would this player fit into the next Cs championship squad?"

Recently, I've been playing a slightly different game:

"Would this player have gotten playing time in the most recent Finals series?"

Imagine the Cavs and Warriors both get their pick of anybody on our roster.  Who breaks into the rotation on either side?

Thomas, probably.
Smart, perhaps on the Cavs if his outside shot is falling.
Zeller, maybe.
Jerebko would have played a bit.
Crowder maybe, but probably not due to poor shooting.
Bradley probably, but not sure how much.

Sullinger and Olynyk would have sat due to poor defense and general inconsistency.  Bass and Turner would sit due to lack of range and poor defensive fit. 

Would any of them have started?  Thomas or Bradley, perhaps, once Irving went down.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Tank

I basically asked on previously page how possible a tank is with guys on our roster that make us better. Wondering how we can shed some of these guys because I can't see Brad outright tanking.. thinking he will do his best to win with the roster he has, just like this year.
When brad sees how awful this roster is and bails for the ncaa, tankkng will be a piece of cake.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Tank

Bradley
Turner
Sullinger

Trade those guys for picks and rookie contract players.

Starting lineup of Thomas, Smart, Crowder, Olynyk, and Zeller.

Bench of Pressey, Rozier, Hunter, Young, Mickey, etc.

Even Brad can't turn that into more than 30 wins, I'll bet, unless the rookies are way better than expected.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
r each player, you can stop and question "where would this player fit into the next Cs championship squad?"

Imagine the Cavs and Warriors both get their pick of anybody on our roster.  Who breaks into the rotation on either side?

Thomas, probably.
Zeller, maybe.

Sullinger and Olynyk would have sat due to poor defense and general inconsistency.  Bass and Turner would sit due to lack of range and poor defensive fit. 

Would any of them have started?  Thomas or Bradley, perhaps, once Irving went down.

Interesting. Honestly I don't see any of our players making the GS roster. But for Cleveland, I think Smart would have the best shot. He would have filled the exact same role as Shumpert, or been a better version of delly. He would supercede JR atleast because he is a much better defender, and you really can't shoot worse than JR did in the finals. Everyone else seems like a bit of a stretch considering the cavs who appeared in the games were all better than what we have
#JKJB

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just move fwd. We will still make the playoffs next season.

Danny is prob praying the nets self destruck and have a fire sale by the trade deadline. Last thing nets look like they want to do is rebuild and give of the Celts the satisfaction of obtaining a top pick in 2016

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I can understand to a point Bradley & Turner but why would you get rid of Sullinger who is arguably your best player from last year and still young.

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Thomas, probably.
Zeller, maybe.

On a fully heathy cavs and Warriors team, nobody on the celtics starts. Because the cavs got injured and delladova was the pg, I guess Bradley would have started at pg. Decent shooter and solid defender.  Thomas wouldnt start.  Smart is great defensively but a non factor on offense.  Bradley is the only hope

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Tank

Bradley
Turner
Sullinger

Trade those guys for picks and rookie contract players.

Starting lineup of Thomas, Smart, Crowder, Olynyk, and Zeller.

Bench of Pressey, Rozier, Hunter, Young, Mickey, etc.

Even Brad can't turn that into more than 30 wins, I'll bet, unless the rookies are way better than expected.

I like this idea, maybe put IT on the bench in favor of Rozier. I just fear given significant playing time, IT would have a few hero ball games where he actually may win the game for us. That would be unacceptable since the goal with that squad would be a glorified version of golf.
#JKJB

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Someone said 'I think we are all in agreement here, the time has come to stop trying to piece together a roster'. How can you say that? There is certainly no kind of agreement! There is, however, disagreement. That may be the least accurate statement I have ever seen, booo, I say, booo to you and your inaccurate and depressing blanket statement.

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Interesting. Honestly I don't see any of our players making the GS roster. But for Cleveland, I think Smart would have the best shot.

Yeah, honestly, I don't know who would and would not have played, necessarily, but I don't think any of our guys would have gotten more than 15-20 minutes a game.
- Mark Twain