Author Topic: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent  (Read 9592 times)

Re: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If the C's don't add any talent via trade or FA, they are back in the lottery next season.  Which is fine if they clear the log jam at the guard positions and just play the kids.  The East is going to be pretty decent next season.  I would think the Heat and Cavs are the best two teams in the East?

I think the C's will have two lottery picks next season.  I don't think the C's or the Nets will make the playoffs...

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

I would prefer not to go after Lee just because I'm not sure what value Golden State really has to offer (a pick that's gonna end up in the 25-30 range?  meh), and David Lee will want to play.

The Lakers have contracts they need to shed, too.
I just don't see what quality asset we could get for helping any of those teams.

I like Splitter and Hibbert as one year additions in salary dumps but I don't think either push us to 50 wins and I'm not sure what assets their teams would give up to move them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If the C's don't add any talent via trade or FA, they are back in the lottery next season.  Which is fine if they clear the log jam at the guard positions and just play the kids.  The East is going to be pretty decent next season.  I would think the Heat and Cavs are the best two teams in the East?

I think the C's will have two lottery picks next season.  I don't think the C's or the Nets will make the playoffs...

Back in the lottery? Were we in the lottery this year? The Cavs yes but the Heat? I think the Heat will make the playoffs if they keep Wade and he's healthy and Bosh as well - otherwise they fight for the 8th spot again.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

We say this kind of thing every year -- oh, the East will be stronger.  All of these teams are getting better.

Yet every year, half those teams we thought were getting better flounder instead and two or three of the teams that were good in the past fall down the standings for one reason or another.

I wouldn't chance it.  Sell off some of the superfluous pieces to create playing time for the young guys.  Let's get a top 10 pick.  If the Nets end up in the lottery, awesome.  But let's not plan on that.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

I would prefer not to go after Lee just because I'm not sure what value Golden State really has to offer (a pick that's gonna end up in the 25-30 range?  meh), and David Lee will want to play.

The Lakers have contracts they need to shed, too.
I just don't see what quality asset we could get for helping any of those teams.

I like Splitter and Hibbert as one year additions in salary dumps but I don't think either push us to 50 wins and I'm not sure what assets their teams would give up to move them.

Oh I agree, we're not going to add a player that way who would help us win a lot more games.

You've got to lower your expectations.  The idea would be to pick up additional minor assets, like a pick that might go as high as the middle of the 1st round if all goes well.  Ideally 2017 or later, since we already have too many picks next summer.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let our FAs walk. Don't overpay any other FA. Play the kids. Move Turner and Bradley for value if we can. Re-assess mid-year.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Let our FAs walk. Don't overpay any other FA. Play the kids. Move Turner and Bradley for value if we can. Re-assess mid-year.

This. TP

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

This. TP

Yup, this is how I feel...

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Life will go on, true fans will stick by the team, casual fans will lose interest, and this is how it is usually is folks.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mostly agree but if Crowder and Turner are both gone we'll need a stopgap 3 because we'll be awfully thin there.  Could be where a so-so guy like Corey Brewer might fit in.

I'd also add "rent out our cap space and/or trade exceptions for expiring deals teams want to clear off the books". 

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they absolutely will move Turner regardless.

He needs the ball to be effective and we have 3 other guys who are more likely to have a future with the team that should have the ball in their hands (Thomas, Rozier, Smart).

I think dealing Bradley now would be selling low.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Life will go on, true fans will stick by the team, casual fans will lose interest, and this is how it is usually is folks.
Pretty much.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought the East was going to get stronger last year. Didn't happen.

Kinda hesitant to say it'll be much better next year.

Seems like there is always new depths / lows that the East can go to.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yup, though I'd be OK with keeping Crowder.  As FWF notes, we'll need SOMEBODY to eat up minutes at the 3.

I'd throw in "trade Sullinger, or Olynyk if there's a greater return."  I'm ready to move on from trying to play those guys together.  Would like to see the team get tougher and more athletic in the frontcourt.  Mickey is a good start, Zeller is OK.
- Mark Twain