Author Topic: The End of Celtic Pride and Tradition  (Read 4355 times)

The End of Celtic Pride and Tradition
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
I understand the frustration with losing...I understand wanting a winning team...but...Celtic Pride and Tradition were always more than winning...moreover...winning was a result of Celtic Pride and Tradition...trading Paul Pierce...the Last Great Celtic who knew Red...would be a travesty...would trading PP put us over the top in the re-building process...no...it would just be part of the rebuilding process...PP could be part of the rebuilding process...watching Kobe, Dirk and Duncan retire with their original teams and not PP would be a shame...

Re: The End of Celtic Pride and Tradition
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I understand the frustration with losing...I understand wanting a winning team...but...Celtic Pride and Tradition were always more than winning...moreover...winning was a result of Celtic Pride and Tradition...trading Paul Pierce...the Last Great Celtic who knew Red...would be a travesty...would trading PP put us over the top in the re-building process...no...it would just be part of the rebuilding process...PP could be part of the rebuilding process...watching Kobe, Dirk and Duncan retire with their original teams and not PP would be a shame...

I couldn't agree more.  There is no deal that would make me OK with trading Paul Pierce. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

I couldn't agree more.  There is no deal that would make me OK with trading Paul Pierce.  

To be honest I'm willing to trade Pierce to a team that just needs him for salary flexibility because his contract expires soonish. I don't want him to really be playing in another uniform

but to be honest players do play for other teams, they aren't going to be remembered for it though

5-10 years from now we would've completely forgotten if Pierce played for another team or not

Bulls fans don't think about Jordan playing for the Wizards
Nate Archibald played for the celtics a season?

Pierce will be remembered for being a celtic...I love talent that we've raised: Pierce + Rondo to death and would hate trading them, but you got to make decisions

It's where you set up your legacy that's important

If we manage to land a top talent, i'd do my best to keep it

Patriots have had success: guys like Brady, Matt light
Red Sox: guys like Jacoby Ellisbury, Dustin Pedroia

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

I couldn't agree more.  There is no deal that would make me OK with trading Paul Pierce. 

I agree with both of you. TPs.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Op has a good point and article.

my brain says he must go, or at least take a lower contract and be an asset to a new developing team ...I loved watching PP play at Kansas , and followed him  along time.  But my heart wants to see our captn hang it up in Boston.

Not easy choices.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'd be fine with giving Pierce a Ray Bo exit.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
I feel like having veteran leadership in the lockerroim for a young team is something that is valuable as well..same reason I would want to keep ray allen. It takes a long time for alotof these young teams to growbecause of lack of maturity. Pierce may want to be that stabilizing force in the lockereoom

Plus he still can be a good player in the nba I just don't think he has fully gotten his legs back. I think he of anyone deserves to retire a celtic

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
it's easy to say this is just business and about winning...but...in boston....especially boston...it's always been more than that...it's how you win...the effort...character...never giving up...that is a big part of why we are fans...isn't it...somebody needs to pass on the torch...not just letting it drop...i think the celtics will be making a wise business decision keeping PP...fans will appreciate loyalty to PP now...i think the fan base will appreciate it and support it...i think they risk alienating fans by letting PP go...so if it is really about business...you keep PP...

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think they trade Pierce unless there's some very strong value coming back.  They're not going to salary dump him or anything like that.

Ray on the other hand I think his days here are numbered.  KG too if there's anyone willing to take him.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2731
Ray is the one who will get traded imo. KG and Paul have played their way out of being traded, no one will want to offer any decent value for them the way they look this year.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
"watching kobe dirk and duncan retire with their original teams and not paul would be a shame" Thats as true as true gets.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I feel like having veteran leadership in the lockerroim for a young team is something that is valuable as well..same reason I would want to keep ray allen. It takes a long time for alotof these young teams to growbecause of lack of maturity. Pierce may want to be that stabilizing force in the lockereoom

Plus he still can be a good player in the nba I just don't think he has fully gotten his legs back. I think he of anyone deserves to retire a celtic
Definetly. Ray i am open to trading to though, as long as it doesnt have a negative effect on his family.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
"watching kobe dirk and duncan retire with their original teams and not paul would be a shame" Thats as true as true gets.

One of the realest things I've read on this board in the past few days.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2560

Would any of you feel differently if you knew whether Paul preferred having another shot on a contender to retiring a Celtic?

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Would any of you feel differently if you knew whether Paul preferred having another shot on a contender to retiring a Celtic?

I would think that this team's captain's foremost desire is to get a chance to try to lead the squad in a fight back from the hole they've placed themselves in to start the season.  I don't expect him to be at a stage in his career where he is interested in going ring chasing.

I don't know that for sure, but I certainly hope that's the case. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson