Author Topic: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?  (Read 9198 times)

What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Everyone -- including the Celtics organization -- assumes that Rasheed is going to retire, and that his contract ultimately will come off the books.  My question is, what if he changes his mind?

Sure, coming back would make Rasheed look bad, but players change their mind about retirement all the time.  What if Rasheed decides that the idea of just passing on $12 million isn't something that he's comfortable with?

In that scenario, do we attempt to trade him?  What would his trade value look like, when he's got 2 years, $12 million left, rather than a retiring contract that promises immediate cap relief?

If you kept him, barring further injury would he see any minutes?  If Rasheed joined Perk, KG, Shaq, and J.O. up front, would we then trade BBD for wing help?

While this scenario isn't one that's likely to happen, I think it's *more* likely the longer this issue remains up in the air.  I think Danny should cash in Rasheed's contract now, either for a player or a trade exception.  I know a lot of folks are saying we should keep Rasheed around until the trade deadline, but that's potentially expensive, his value won't necessarily be as high as some think unless the NBA somehow allows a retroactive retirement (unlikely), and worst of all, there's no guarantee that Rasheed will choose to voluntarily walk away from further paychecks after they've been rolling in for 2/3 of the season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rasheed would have a negative trade value with two years and 12 million remaining on his deal.

We also wouldn't have minutes for him and Shaq. I'm not sure what Danny would do then, it'd be a disaster for the C's though.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
We're trying to trade him now.  The previous poster is right in that he probably has more value if he retires.  As far as coming off the books, my guess is Sheed will not come off the books for some time anyway.  If he retires now, we cannot trade him.  Sheed's real incentitive for not retiring right away is that the Celts continue to pay him.  The Celts incentive for paying him is in the hopes that they can trade his contract where he can then retire for that other team. 

I am thinking the Celts will try and keep Sheed on the books until at least the trading deadline next season.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Disaster.. ?

I welcome it actually you can never have enough big guys (especially with Perkins health) but, I think the point is moot because he's going to retire, IMO 

I think Danny should be patient as long as he can by NBA rules.  No reason to trade him if he's still thinking of coming back or unless he thinks he can trade him at all star break.

Now we are concerned that there are too many good big guys on the team... put me in the other camp.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Disaster.. ?

I welcome it actually you can never have enough big guys (especially with Perkins health) but, I think the point is moot because he's going to retire, IMO 
If Shaq or Rasheed doesn't mind sitting on the pine with a DNPCD then it wouldn't be a disaster. Then it would just be a bad thing. Shaq and Rasheed are too redudent, we need a different aspect to come off the bench whether thats a more mobile big or a wing.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't see why Baby or Perk would be traded if Sheed comes back.  Sheed, Shaq and JO are all temporary signings.  What would we do for bigs when they are gone?  I think we would regret it if we traded Baby or Perk.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If Sheed flips the switch in February and decides to come back, then Perkins might not get off the bench. In reality the likelihood of the O'Neal Brothers, Garnett, BBD, and others missing time is pretty high. So Sheed ought to think about a come back just to torture the referees some more.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He sits on the end of the bench until he realizes it was a bad decision, and retires.  He has been replaced.  If he wasn't sure about retiring, they made up his mind for him.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Disaster.. ?

If Shaq or Rasheed doesn't mind sitting on the pine with a DNPCD then it wouldn't be a disaster. Then it would just be a bad thing. Shaq and Rasheed are too redudent, we need a different aspect to come off the bench whether thats a more mobile big or a wing.

Still don't agree but, too each his own.  I doubt we'll have to concern ourselves with it though.  I suspect DA knows he's retiring which is why Shaq's here in the first place.  Patience is in order.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
He sits on the end of the bench until he realizes it was a bad decision, and retires.  He has been replaced.  If he wasn't sure about retiring, they made up his mind for him.

Again, what if he never changes his mind?  In reality, how many players walk away from $12 million?  Rasheed would be the rare exception if he follows through.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Again, what if he never changes his mind?  In reality, how many players walk away from $12 million?  Rasheed would be the rare exception if he follows through.

But why is it an issue if he doesn't retire?  which he is obviously.  But just for arguments sake.  If they think it's a problem they can still trade him for that missing wing that everyone desires.  Most teams would probably more willing to take a non retiring Sheed.  He'll probably just retire after being traded lol.  That's a win/win.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

But why is it an issue if he doesn't retire?  which he is obviously.  But just for arguments sake.  If they think it's a problem they can still trade him for that missing wing that everyone desires.  Most teams would probably more willing to take a non retiring Sheed.  He'll probably just retire after being traded lol.  That's a win/win.
You're wrong that most teams would want Sheed on his current deal. He's being paid a lot of money for the production he gave. Even if you assume his increased production in the playoffs will be the norm (which is a huge assumption) he's overpaid.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

A non-retiring Rasheed has much less value than a retiring 'Sheed, in my opinion.  I tend to agree with Fafnir that his 2 years, $12 million would have negative trade value, and it would certainly restrict the market of suitors.  I mean, what lottery team wants two years of an uninspired Rasheed Wallace on their roster?

In terms of why it's potentially a problem, it's because we lose a fairly substantial trade chip for nothing.  On top of that, Wyc would be sacrificing $12 million in salary / luxury tax for a player who was making no contribution. 

It wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, that's why the trade should happen before the season.  As others have said, the best option may be a trade exception, although with trade exceptions we lose the benefit of the 125% + $100k rule.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I think it would be a good thing for the team if he decides to play. Perkins will most likely not be useful to us this year, and Shaq and Jermaine have injury histories, especially Jermaine. Having another big man who can step up would be a great value.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

A non-retiring Rasheed has much less value than a retiring 'Sheed, in my opinion.  I tend to agree with Fafnir that his 2 years, $12 million would have negative trade value, and it would certainly restrict the market of suitors.  I mean, what lottery team wants two years of an uninspired Rasheed Wallace on their roster?

In terms of why it's potentially a problem, it's because we lose a fairly substantial trade chip for nothing.  On top of that, Wyc would be sacrificing $12 million in salary / luxury tax for a player who was making no contribution. 

It wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, that's why the trade should happen before the season.  As others have said, the best option may be a trade exception, although with trade exceptions we lose the benefit of the 125% + $100k rule.

Fair enough it would be in Celtics owners best interest if they traded him but, I was commenting on the effect to the actual team which I think would be minimal. I just think it's going to get worked out 1 way or another but, Danny is doing his do diligence regarding different options.  I'm still not against him coming back though.  He's versatile enough to play PF much more so than JO, IMO. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10