Author Topic: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?  (Read 9193 times)

Re: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't see why Baby or Perk would be traded if Sheed comes back.  Sheed, Shaq and JO are all temporary signings.  What would we do for bigs when they are gone?  I think we would regret it if we traded Baby or Perk.

I don't agree.  And I'm not sure that Baby and Perk will both be here after next summer anyway. 

First of all, Danny is going to hesitate to give either big deals because he doesn't want to tie up future cap space for when everyone retires/leaves in two years.  And while he might give one of them a hefty deal, I don't see him giving both of them a big one.

Second, particularly with Baby, this situation isn't exactly conducive to future success.  If Baby had signed a similar contract with a lesser team that he could've started on, he'd probably be on his way to a bigger pay day this summer.  Instead, he's stuck behind KG, and will not have even more trouble getting minutes with potentially 5 elite big men in February. 

So if both players aren't in our plans past this summer and Rasheed comes back, why not trade one now? 

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't see why Baby or Perk would be traded if Sheed comes back.  Sheed, Shaq and JO are all temporary signings.  What would we do for bigs when they are gone?  I think we would regret it if we traded Baby or Perk.

I don't agree.  And I'm not sure that Baby and Perk will both be here after next summer anyway. 

First of all, Danny is going to hesitate to give either big deals because he doesn't want to tie up future cap space for when everyone retires/leaves in two years.  And while he might give one of them a hefty deal, I don't see him giving both of them a big one.

Second, particularly with Baby, this situation isn't exactly conducive to future success.  If Baby had signed a similar contract with a lesser team that he could've started on, he'd probably be on his way to a bigger pay day this summer.  Instead, he's stuck behind KG, and will not have even more trouble getting minutes with potentially 5 elite big men in February. 

So if both players aren't in our plans past this summer and Rasheed comes back, why not trade one now? 

I'm not sure Baby's going to command a hefty deal anywhere. And I don't know that Perk's going to command a fortune if he doesn't play much this year and is hampered by his knee through the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
I don't see why Baby or Perk would be traded if Sheed comes back.  Sheed, Shaq and JO are all temporary signings.  What would we do for bigs when they are gone?  I think we would regret it if we traded Baby or Perk.

I don't agree.  And I'm not sure that Baby and Perk will both be here after next summer anyway.  

First of all, Danny is going to hesitate to give either big deals because he doesn't want to tie up future cap space for when everyone retires/leaves in two years.  And while he might give one of them a hefty deal, I don't see him giving both of them a big one.

Second, particularly with Baby, this situation isn't exactly conducive to future success.  If Baby had signed a similar contract with a lesser team that he could've started on, he'd probably be on his way to a bigger pay day this summer.  Instead, he's stuck behind KG, and will not have even more trouble getting minutes with potentially 5 elite big men in February.  

I'm not sure Baby's going to command a hefty deal anywhere. And I don't know that Perk's going to command a fortune if he doesn't play much this year and is hampered by his knee through the playoffs.

You're right.  It's hard to say.  But I also wonder how years factor in here.  Even if they're modest deals, will Danny commit 10-15 million per year to both Perk and BBD (combined) beyond 2012?  

While I'd like both to stay, adding that money to Rondo, PP, and Bradley, and all of the sudden you're looking at only having a shot at one max player after 2012, not two.  

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Everyone -- including the Celtics organization -- assumes that Rasheed is going to retire, and that his contract ultimately will come off the books.  My question is, what if he changes his mind?

Sure, coming back would make Rasheed look bad, but players change their mind about retirement all the time.  What if Rasheed decides that the idea of just passing on $12 million isn't something that he's comfortable with?

In that scenario, do we attempt to trade him?  What would his trade value look like, when he's got 2 years, $12 million left, rather than a retiring contract that promises immediate cap relief?

If you kept him, barring further injury would he see any minutes?  If Rasheed joined Perk, KG, Shaq, and J.O. up front, would we then trade BBD for wing help?

While this scenario isn't one that's likely to happen, I think it's *more* likely the longer this issue remains up in the air.  I think Danny should cash in Rasheed's contract now, either for a player or a trade exception.  I know a lot of folks are saying we should keep Rasheed around until the trade deadline, but that's potentially expensive, his value won't necessarily be as high as some think unless the NBA somehow allows a retroactive retirement (unlikely), and worst of all, there's no guarantee that Rasheed will choose to voluntarily walk away from further paychecks after they've been rolling in for 2/3 of the season.

First of all, I thought this was a great post.  Simply because of the questions you asked and points you made.

I read some of the other posts on this line and have "this to say about that"

The opinion of Pierce, KG, Ray Allen are always part of the mix in any moves that Danny makes.  

I don't think chemistry or playing time are issues with Sheed.
Otherwise Pierce or KG would not have him back.

Positives in keeping him

-rare player in that he can play post or shoot outside

-  6 fouls and good playoff defense

-  insurance that provides for injury relief (Perkins rehab)
   or another big should Shaq, JO or KG go down during the season.

Plus we are paying his salary.  He may not provide good trade bait this year, but we are trying to win now.

Positives in Trading his contract now:

We don't make payments on a player who is not playing.

Acquisition of a piece that may pay dividends now or later.

Positives in Keeping Contract until trade deadline:

We get to see what players are available during February.
(usually better than the summer months)

We get to monitor the progress of Perk and see if another Big is needed.  After all, Sheed might be useful, 2nd half of the Season. (wasn't P.J. Brown retired too).

Sheed cannot file his papers or the Celtics lose out, which is unlikely to happen.  More money for sheed each payment if he stays on contract.  

Otherwise a buyout is needed correct?

I think that even a greater concern and reason for trading the contract and arranging a buyout now is this:

WHAT IF SHEED RETIRES and FILES HIS PAPERS BEFORE WE TRADE HIS
CONTRACT??????????
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't see why Baby or Perk would be traded if Sheed comes back.  Sheed, Shaq and JO are all temporary signings.  What would we do for bigs when they are gone?  I think we would regret it if we traded Baby or Perk.

I don't agree.  And I'm not sure that Baby and Perk will both be here after next summer anyway.  

First of all, Danny is going to hesitate to give either big deals because he doesn't want to tie up future cap space for when everyone retires/leaves in two years.  And while he might give one of them a hefty deal, I don't see him giving both of them a big one.

Second, particularly with Baby, this situation isn't exactly conducive to future success.  If Baby had signed a similar contract with a lesser team that he could've started on, he'd probably be on his way to a bigger pay day this summer.  Instead, he's stuck behind KG, and will not have even more trouble getting minutes with potentially 5 elite big men in February.  

You're right.  It's hard to say.  But I also wonder how years factor in here.  Even if they're modest deals, will Danny commit 10-15 million per year to both Perk and BBD (combined) beyond 2012?  

While I'd like both to stay, adding that money to Rondo, PP, and Bradley, and all of the sudden you're looking at only having a shot at one max player after 2012, not two.  
This past offseason has really made teams rethink overpaying players to incrementally improve their team instead of just letting them walk and grabbing game changing free agents.

On the other hand, no one wants to end up empty handed, like the Nets.

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 01:48:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't think you can really count on getting 2 max players in 2012.

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

just like we couldn't count on getting Shaq for the vet min., but both things are possible.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I came across this (sorry if already posted):

From Chris Forsborg.....

I wouldn't completely rule out a Wallace return. Put yourself in his position. What hurt Wallace last season? He had to log heavy minutes as a sixth man, then got thrust into a starting role the final two games of the season when he was injured and had nothing left in the tank. That seemingly wouldn't be a problem this season. Let him do the minimum but have him as yet another big off the bench. If anything, I think he might look at the roster and think, "Geez, for $6.3 million, I'll play 12 minutes per game with this crew." Again, an abundance of talented bigs is the best problem to have in the NBA. Boston would undoubtedly boast the most fearsome front court in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5437324

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

just like we couldn't count on getting Shaq for the vet min., but both things are possible.

I agree.  But I think we should position ourselves to have that opportunity. 

I think there's a very small chance that two worthwhile max players come here, but I think we're hurting ourselves if we don't give ourselves at least a shot to add two studs to Rondo and Paul. 

And I'm not talking about giving these two guys away.  I'm talking about trading one of them with Sheed for someone to upgrade the team now, and reducing the amount of future payroll this team will likely have. 

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?

Baby becomes trade bait?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I came across this (sorry if already posted):

From Chris Forsborg.....

I wouldn't completely rule out a Wallace return. Put yourself in his position. What hurt Wallace last season? He had to log heavy minutes as a sixth man, then got thrust into a starting role the final two games of the season when he was injured and had nothing left in the tank. That seemingly wouldn't be a problem this season. Let him do the minimum but have him as yet another big off the bench. If anything, I think he might look at the roster and think, "Geez, for $6.3 million, I'll play 12 minutes per game with this crew." Again, an abundance of talented bigs is the best problem to have in the NBA. Boston would undoubtedly boast the most fearsome front court in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=5437324
Good post. TP.

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Again,with two years left on his contract there is no reason to NOT want him back next year. Get another year out of him, then trade his contract next offseason.

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
First ask yourself if Danny is going to give BBD the pay day that he wants.  Answer most likely not.  BBD is an unrestricted free agent next year and most likely will move on.  That said, if sheed decides to stay, Danny should trade BBD to open up room.

We would be very tall.  Also Portland could probably use someone like BBD considering that Oden and Pryz have injury problems.  If I were Portland, I would trade Rudy + for BBD in a heart beat.

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think him staying hurts us.  It gives us more tall depth, sometimes Big Baby can't.  Sure BBD has a great motor but he gets a ton of shots blocked.

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I agree.  But I think we should position ourselves to have that opportunity. 

I think there's a very small chance that two worthwhile max players come here, but I think we're hurting ourselves if we don't give ourselves at least a shot to add two studs to Rondo and Paul. 

And I'm not talking about giving these two guys away.  I'm talking about trading one of them with Sheed for someone to upgrade the team now, and reducing the amount of future payroll this team will likely have. 

I wouldn't let the chances of signing two max free agents in 2012 have much impact on the way I shaped my roster unless I had a tangible reason to expect it to happen. Sure, it's possible, but it's kind of like my son explaining his plan to buy a car that involved lottery winnings.