Author Topic: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?  (Read 9172 times)

Re: What happens if Rasheed changes his mind?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think it would be a good thing for the team if he decides to play. Perkins will most likely not be useful to us this year, and Shaq and Jermaine have injury histories, especially Jermaine. Having another big man who can step up would be a great value.
+1  Don't forget JO & Rasheed can play PF. Don't believe KG would have an issue losing some minutes for the benefit of the team.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
Keep in mind its not a guarantee that Perkins will be back this year..there is no point ruining his future by rushing him back..with that said that is why i think Rasheed will come back and play with this 2001 all star team another year...Plus i can't picture sheed leaving 12 milion on the table... so the celtics will run with a 5 man big man rotation of garnett, Shaq, JO, Baby and Sheed
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He sits on the end of the bench until he realizes it was a bad decision, and retires.  He has been replaced.  If he wasn't sure about retiring, they made up his mind for him.

Again, what if he never changes his mind?  In reality, how many players walk away from $12 million?  Rasheed would be the rare exception if he follows through.

Then he sits at the end of the bench, and the C's either trade him, or keep him as injury insurance.  It is not ideal, but there is nothing they can do about it.  Given that I think they have a very good team alraedy, I don't think it matters all that much.

And, if they have an opportunity to trade him, great, but they may just be eating the salary.

But I don't think there is any chance at all it will happen, so it doesn't really matter.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think it would be a good thing for the team if he decides to play. Perkins will most likely not be useful to us this year, and Shaq and Jermaine have injury histories, especially Jermaine. Having another big man who can step up would be a great value.
+1  Don't forget JO & Rasheed can play PF. Don't believe KG would have an issue losing some minutes for the benefit of the team.

KG is a team player, he of course will be willing to sacrifice for the benefit of the team,

I see him doing the same thing as Paul and Ray Ray after this coming season ends to take less money to sign a good player...

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He sits on the end of the bench until he realizes it was a bad decision, and retires.  He has been replaced.  If he wasn't sure about retiring, they made up his mind for him.

Again, what if he never changes his mind?  In reality, how many players walk away from $12 million?  Rasheed would be the rare exception if he follows through.

But why is it an issue if he doesn't retire?  which he is obviously.  But just for arguments sake.  If they think it's a problem they can still trade him for that missing wing that everyone desires.  Most teams would probably more willing to take a non retiring Sheed.  He'll probably just retire after being traded lol.  That's a win/win.
You're wrong that most teams would want Sheed on his current deal. He's being paid a lot of money for the production he gave. Even if you assume his increased production in the playoffs will be the norm (which is a huge assumption) he's overpaid.

Whatever not concerned 1 iota.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Keep in mind its not a guarantee that Perkins will be back this year..there is no point ruining his future by rushing him back..with that said that is why i think Rasheed will come back and play with this 2001 all star team another year...Plus i can't picture sheed leaving 12 milion on the table... so the celtics will run with a 5 man big man rotation of garnett, Shaq, JO, Baby and Sheed

Which by the way would be the best in the league by far.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
Disaster.. ?

I welcome it actually you can never have enough big guys (especially with Perkins health) but, I think the point is moot because he's going to retire, IMO 
If Shaq or Rasheed doesn't mind sitting on the pine with a DNPCD then it wouldn't be a disaster. Then it would just be a bad thing. Shaq and Rasheed are too redudent, we need a different aspect to come off the bench whether thats a more mobile big or a wing.

Shaq and Sheed are redundant?  HUH?

Shaq plays down and Sheed loves to play on the perimeter. Sheed is more of 4 and Shaq is strictly a 5.  I would say JO and Sheed are more redundant than Sheed and Shaq

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think that KG losing minutes to JO or Sheed would benefit the team...

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

But why is it an issue if he doesn't retire?  which he is obviously.  But just for arguments sake.  If they think it's a problem they can still trade him for that missing wing that everyone desires.  Most teams would probably more willing to take a non retiring Sheed.  He'll probably just retire after being traded lol.  That's a win/win.

A non-retiring Rasheed has much less value than a retiring 'Sheed, in my opinion.  I tend to agree with Fafnir that his 2 years, $12 million would have negative trade value, and it would certainly restrict the market of suitors.  I mean, what lottery team wants two years of an uninspired Rasheed Wallace on their roster?

In terms of why it's potentially a problem, it's because we lose a fairly substantial trade chip for nothing.  On top of that, Wyc would be sacrificing $12 million in salary / luxury tax for a player who was making no contribution. 

It wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, that's why the trade should happen before the season.  As others have said, the best option may be a trade exception, although with trade exceptions we lose the benefit of the 125% + $100k rule.

By the way, this was in the Herald this morning:

Rasheed Wallace continues to delay his retirement announcement until the Celtics can move his $6 million salary slot to another team for additional help. They have until shortly before the Oct. 26 season opener against Miami to benefit from this rare chance to land another good player.

link: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100806breaking_down_the_celtics_with_shaq_on_board_a_look_at_the_current_roster/

I'm not sure why it says that they have until the season opener, maybe he agreed to wait until them to retire, but it still sounds like a done deal.

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Disaster.. ?

I welcome it actually you can never have enough big guys (especially with Perkins health) but, I think the point is moot because he's going to retire, IMO 
If Shaq or Rasheed doesn't mind sitting on the pine with a DNPCD then it wouldn't be a disaster. Then it would just be a bad thing. Shaq and Rasheed are too redudent, we need a different aspect to come off the bench whether thats a more mobile big or a wing.

Shaq and Sheed are redundant?  HUH?

Shaq plays down and Sheed loves to play on the perimeter. Sheed is more of 4 and Shaq is strictly a 5.  I would say JO and Sheed are more redundant than Sheed and Shaq
They're redudant in that we don't want both in our rotation. Both are relatively imoblie backup 5s that should only be playing 10-20 minutes a game.

They have different skill sets, but we don't need both.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
it would be good for the team because it would lower their minutes during the regular season which as we saw last year they might coast to the playoffs..and then once the playoffs start everybody will be fresh and obviously kg would get the most minute at pf
Pick 2 Heat: 

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I personally don't think a five- or six-man big man rotation of starters / former starters is a great mix.  I think someone would have to sit on the pine every night.  Additionally, Rasheed doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will keep himself in shape if he isn't getting minutes.  Heck, he barely stayed in shape while he was.

Anyway, I don't think the team will keep Rasheed's roster spot open going into the season.  He'll either be traded, or he'll retire.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would assume that in the case Sheed doesn't retire Doc would have to look at having a "big" line up.  I am not sure that any of those guys could play the 3, but that would be the only way to get them all mins.

Can you put, Sheed, KG, and Shaq on the floor on the same time?
I am not sure you can do that defense, maybe KG of 2008 but not 2009 KG.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

A non-retiring Rasheed has much less value than a retiring 'Sheed, in my opinion.  I tend to agree with Fafnir that his 2 years, $12 million would have negative trade value, and it would certainly restrict the market of suitors.  I mean, what lottery team wants two years of an uninspired Rasheed Wallace on their roster?

In terms of why it's potentially a problem, it's because we lose a fairly substantial trade chip for nothing.  On top of that, Wyc would be sacrificing $12 million in salary / luxury tax for a player who was making no contribution. 

It wouldn't be a good thing.  In my opinion, that's why the trade should happen before the season.  As others have said, the best option may be a trade exception, although with trade exceptions we lose the benefit of the 125% + $100k rule.

By the way, this was in the Herald this morning:

Rasheed Wallace continues to delay his retirement announcement until the Celtics can move his $6 million salary slot to another team for additional help. They have until shortly before the Oct. 26 season opener against Miami to benefit from this rare chance to land another good player.

link: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100806breaking_down_the_celtics_with_shaq_on_board_a_look_at_the_current_roster/

I'm not sure why it says that they have until the season opener, maybe he agreed to wait until them to retire, but it still sounds like a done deal.

Interesting.  First time I have heard that reported.  I am taking it with a grain of salt, because he gave no explanation, and is constantly wrong with this stuff, but if true, that certainly is interesting.

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
i have also thought about the celtics going with a big lineup off the bench of rasheed at the 3 davis at 4 and oneal at 5..the only reason i could see it workin is because rasheed spreads the floor and likes to shoot threes..,i think sheed is caple of being a bench guy that can play the 3 4 or 5 spot if needed.
Pick 2 Heat: