Author Topic: What happened to taking the best player available?  (Read 4212 times)

Re: What happened to taking the best player available?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

We should wait and see how these kids play against pros before we make judgments. I'm reminded of a thread about how Danny made the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise by picking Rondo and not Marcus Williams.

TP for you, sir.

Totally agree.

There are two schools of thought that are already wrong tonight:

1) We took a combo guard when we needed a big. By now, people should know it's BPA at all times, and we'll have other opportunities to fill other needs.

2) Nobody can definitively write off this kid until they see him in action in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

We should wait and see how these kids play against pros before we make judgments. I'm reminded of a thread about how Danny made the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise by picking Rondo and not Marcus Williams.

TP, true that.

I always try to give them at least till the Allstar break before i start to really lock in on what i think a guys pro ceiling is.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I'm intrigued by the fact he was the highest player rated out of high school.   Even higher then Wall.

Ainge said he wasn't used right.  Same was said about Rondo at Kentucky.  He's also young.  Looked pretty quick to me in the highlights.

Perhaps a solid role player.   We need more then that.  Who we going to get at a discount that can make the difference?

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Wow. Alabi lasts until 50. DA sits there and does nothing. This has been a downer of a draft. Why not make a move to move up to get the big that many mocks had us taking at 19?

Very disappointing to say the least. I have no idea what our 2nd unit and future is going to look like, but this draft did nothing to help the franchise.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 11:31:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Wow. Alabi lasts until 50. DA sits there and does nothing. This has been a downer of a draft. Why not make a move to move up to get the big that many mocks had us taking at 19?

Very disappointing to say the least. I have no idea what our 2nd unit and future is going to look like, but this draft did nothing to help the franchise.

Apparently he had a red flag on his physical.  Oh yeah, and he isn't a good player.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He was the BPA. He's a decent mid-range shooter and a very good defender. And Texas's Rick Barnes may be the best recruiter, but poorest floor coach among all the top programs. Been the same story his whole career.

When 5s fall out of the first round, they truly suck.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »

Offline drkalloch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Now we know this draft was treated as a joke. Harangody? Really? Wow. In Danny we trust...I think?
TheKMan.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Now we know this draft was treated as a joke. Harangody? Really? Wow. In Danny we trust...I think?

He is the 52nd pick in the draft, we should not expect to get impact players at that spot in the draft. Not all late 2nd round picks become a Gomes or Powe.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Whatever the reason for not moving up to take him was, 19 nba gms who picked in the 2nd round when he was available agree with it. If he was, at his height, a decent player, he'd have gone in the 1st round.

BTW, kind of odd that Whiteside (who went in the middle of the 2nd round) declined to come to Boston for a workout. Oops?

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Wasn't it a couple weeks ago that this board is crying for more athleticism? Bradley is exactly that, an amazing athlete. I like this pick. I don't understand the Notre Dame player though, not a bit at all. We already have an undersized big (BBD).
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 12:07:02 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I liked the Bradley pick as BPA, but another floor-bound forward at 52 as BPA????? Why no Stanley Robinson? The Magic get more athletic, why not us?

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
And a chair could score more points than our starters in the fourth quarter on most nights.

Was that needed.  It hurst enough. 

It sure does...

signed, Yao
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."