Author Topic: Thank you 2009-10 Celtics: great memories from a great season  (Read 665 times)

Offline celts34pats55

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 26
This season was an emotional roller coaster. Before the season began we all thought: "holy crap, look at the new found depth we have, we can win this thing again!" As of December 25, it looked that way. But, then the season took an unexpected turn for the worse. Age caught up to us. Key players missed time, we had trouble rebounding, we had trouble scoring in the fourth quarter. Not going to get into this in this post too much, but it's funny how the two things I thought hurt us the most during the latter part of the regular season were the two things that hurt us the most in this game.

So, second half of the year we look like a mediocre basketball team. We played .500 ball, and a lot of us in here (yours truly included) did not believe this team would have a long playoff run. But then something miraculous happened. This team dug deep. They rallied together as a collective group, knowing some would be gone very soon (won't get into this either). They believed in themselves, and there were times they simply willed themselves to victories. Over the last few years (my first few years out of college where I had a little bit of discretionary income..very little) I've frequented about five games a year, this reg season I went to six. Once the playoffs started rolling around I found myself continuously shelling out the big bux to see my boys fight. I never experienced the teams of the 60s or 70s or early 80s, and was too young to remember the mid 80s. I sat through years of Dino Radja, Abdullah Abdenalby, Sherman Douglas, Frank Brickowski, Eric Montross..I know how hard it is to climb that mountain, so I knew I needed to enjoy this while it lasted.

These last few months have been nothing less than exhilirating. Our boys gave us so much enjoyment. Yeah they fell short, and yeah they could've won. But I'll never forget this season. And, I'll look back on it with fond memories. Thank you 2009-2010 Boston Celtics, you reminded me how important it was to persevere even when everything around you seams bleak.