Author Topic: What happened tonight....calling out the fans....team ...coaches and org.  (Read 9669 times)

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
100 percent of the blame belongs to the players and coaches -- nothing else and nowhere else. Also, it seems that there are many fans that would like to see Boston become another mindless Hooterville, like Oklahoma City. Boston has always been this way. Everyone should not have to wear the same color shirt in order for the Celtics to come out and actually PLAY the game. The team was awful last night on defense. The fans had nothing to do with how the game turned out. It should be a non-issue.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Co-sign.

The Boston fans don't hope for good basketball. They expect it. And when they don't get it, they have every right to react negatively.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Booing as a result of lack of effort is fine in my book, regardless of whether it is a playoff game or not. As for arriving late I am sure some people had valid reasons (though not as many as indicated previously). Plus, some people may be at a concession or in a rest room. Game 4 is a must win. If they don't win it I see this ending in Game 5.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
100 percent of the blame belongs to the players and coaches -- nothing else and nowhere else. Also, it seems that there are many fans that would like to see Boston become another mindless Hooterville, like Oklahoma City. Boston has always been this way. Everyone should not have to wear the same color shirt in order for the Celtics to come out and actually PLAY the game. The team was awful last night on defense. The fans had nothing to do with how the game turned out. It should be a non-issue.

Isn't it possible for the team to stink AND the fans to stink, without saying the fans made the team stink?  Because that's what happened.

I'm not from Boston but I was shocked at the number of empty seats at tipoff, and the general apathy of the crowd.  I have a bunch of the 08 games that didn't make the DVDs on my computer (Game 5 ATL, Game 2 CLE, Game 1 DET, etc), and none of them had crowds that looked anything like the one I saw at the beginning of the game. Wearing the same shirt has nothing to do with it, the energy in there was terrible.  Doesn't mean that's why we lost, we lost because the Celtics played horribly and Cleveland played great.  But the crowd was embarrassingly bad for a playoff game too.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
This was really a bad game against what I believe is a really good team (a bad mix) but is it really all that surprising?  The Celtics have played this bad for most of the season.  Maybe not a whole game start to finish this bad but bad.  They even played this bad in the 4th quarter of the game in Cle.  Cle showed in the games in Cle that if they turn it on, they can basically smother the C's.  They finally figured it out and did it for a whole game.  In response, the C's wilted.

My prediction for Sunday is that the C's will come out and fight with all they have but I am not sure they can sustain it for a whole game, much as they couldn't in games 1 and 2.  They may be able to hang on and win, they may not; whistles and a few make/misses may decide. Beyond game 4, I don't believe the C's can sustain the level necessary against the Cavs.

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
There are some cities that have a good crowd even when their team isn't playing well. Utah, G-State, some others. We all know the Celts have been up and down all year but for pete's sake it's not like we're the sixers or something.  The Celts have a legit chance to knock off the #1 seed and these hedge fund managers and family of 3.5's can't get a parking spot for their lexus in time for the tip?

Sorry, the crowd sucked BEFORE the C's did in this one.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Isn't it possible for the team to stink AND the fans to stink, without saying the fans made the team stink?  Because that's what happened.

I'm not from Boston but I was shocked at the number of empty seats at tipoff, and the general apathy of the crowd.  I have a bunch of the 08 games that didn't make the DVDs on my computer (Game 5 ATL, Game 2 CLE, Game 1 DET, etc), and none of them had crowds that looked anything like the one I saw at the beginning of the game. Wearing the same shirt has nothing to do with it, the energy in there was terrible.  Doesn't mean that's why we lost, we lost because the Celtics played horribly and Cleveland played great.  But the crowd was embarrassingly bad for a playoff game too.

thank you for this post.  No one has said the Celtics played badly because of the fans.  We're saying the fans stunk it up as well 

If people feel differently, that empty seats and lethargy by the fans is not an issue or is the same as it's ever been, then fine.  Just say it.  But don't put words in people's mouths and say thay anyone is blaming the fans (saying they caused it) for the level of play.
If anyone is saying this is the case, then I also disagree.

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
When the tipoff is as early as 7:10PM on a Friday night, nobody should be surprised.. there is Friday rush-hour traffic to contend with getting there, and it's FRIDAY. People need to EAT after work and many want to HAVE A FEW DRINKS before watching the game. Nobody likes to feel rushed on a Friday after work, many don't get out until 5, then they have to change up, eat, drink, and move !
Nothing on the fans.. Boston fans are cool..
This is Boston, we are what we are..

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
When the tipoff is as early as 7:10PM on a Friday night, nobody should be surprised.. there is Friday rush-hour traffic to contend with getting there, and it's FRIDAY. People need to EAT after work and many want to HAVE A FEW DRINKS before watching the game. Nobody likes to feel rushed on a Friday after work, many don't get out until 5, then they have to change up, eat, drink, and move !

Thats a horrible rationalization on fans being late.... because you know what,  knowing that its a friday..and KNOWING that there will be rush traffic..and KNOWING that there was a Yanks Sox game going on...heres a thought.. LEAVE EARLIER  Im sorry  but half the stadium cant fall under that same generic excuse that they hit traffic...thats bogus ...winning a championship is the worst thing that could have happened to this fan base, the hunger is gone and I am sickened

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats a horrible rationalization on fans being late.... because you know what,  knowing that its a friday..and KNOWING that there will be rush traffic..and KNOWING that there was a Yanks Sox game going on...heres a thought.. LEAVE EARLIER  Im sorry  but half the stadium cant fall under that same generic excuse that they hit traffic...thats bogus ...winning a championship is the worst thing that could have happened to this fan base, the hunger is gone and I am sickened

People have lives and commutes.  Not everyone can get out of work early.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.  Also, some people aren't just going to use the excuse of going to a Celtics game as a justified reason to leave work early. 

Rush hour traffic is one of the most fickle things in the world, especially in Boston.  Having a 7pm start and having to deal with Sox-Yanks traffic, work commute, and weekend commute is a complicated matter enough.  You make it sound like its an easy thing to plan.  My father comes in from Worcester for the games.  Worcester to Boston can be anywhere from a 45 minute commute to almost 2 hours depending on a variety of factors.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah, it's not they they lost, it's how they lost. No effort, no heart.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I agree and disagree.

I agree in that it bothers me too when fans show up late and don't wear green to support the team (especially when a player twitters that he wants a green out.)

I disagree with the booing aspect of your post. If fans pay money to buy a ticket, they have every right to boo, cheer, jeer, whatever.

Last night, the Celtics clearly didn't play with any urgency or effort. They were lame ducks. Are they bored again?

These are the playoffs yet for some reason the Celts played the game last night like it was pre-season.

That is unacceptable and fans recognize the lack of effort, boo it and rightfully so.

I love the Celtics as much as the next guy. But there is nothing wrong with expressing displeasure in the lifeless performances the team shows at times. We know they can do better!

I agree...if you spend the money  you should have the right to boo if you so choose, but if you care so little about that team that you dont even show up on time for their playoff game then in my opinion you've waived that right to boo no matter what. By showing up late to a freakin playoff game  youve shown that you dont really care about anything other than the end result of the game.

Regarding showing up late, well, let's consider that many of the season ticket holders are hard working individuals who sometimes have to work late. Being a Celtic fan, after all, doesn't pay the bills and if you have to work until a time that is going to make you late arriving, then so be it.

Also, I was throwing a party for my son last night and dinner at the hotel function room was set for 7:00. I had to push it back a half hour because nearly half the people hadn't arrived by 6:50 because they were south shore people and had to come up the SE Expressway which was a zoo all afternoon yesterday. It took family over 2 1/2 hours to get from the south shore through Boston to the north shore to get to this party in what is otherwise a 35 minute drive.

I would love to have the Garden packed to the gills and in a roaring mood come tip off but sometimes matters make that difficult when the start time is at 7:00PM on the worst traffic night of the week.

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
So traffic is an issue now  and it wasnt in 2002?  2008? Or any of the previous playoff years?  This traffic thing we speak of ..is this a new invention of President Obamas?   Or is it caused by all that big dig construction...oh wait that was going on during previous playoffs  but its finished now....hmmm    I see excuses being made for this situation  but fans in those years  that were hungry for a title had no issues with traffic,  sox games,  weather, work,  their pet dog Spot who didnt want to go to the bathroom the first try so they could leave on time.....

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So traffic is an issue now  and it wasnt in 2002?  2008? Or any of the previous playoff years?  This traffic thing we speak of ..is this a new invention of President Obamas?   Or is it caused by all that big dig construction...oh wait that was going on during previous playoffs  but its finished now....hmmm    I see excuses being made for this situation  but fans in those years  that were hungry for a title had no issues with traffic,  sox games,  weather, work,  their pet dog Spot who didnt want to go to the bathroom the first try so they could leave on time.....
You think this is the first time this has ever happened? I went to a ton of games over the years where people have been late to games. Your high horse approach of what happened last night is coming off as really condescending and although I wasn't one of those people, I would be fairly insulted if I happened to have to work late to pay my bills and couldn't get to the game at exactly 7:00 PM or before.

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Who cares if the fans showed up late last night?

The players didn't show up until the second quarter.  That's the only thing that matters.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers