Author Topic: The only solution is to increase KG's and Perk minutes  (Read 2017 times)

The only solution is to increase KG's and Perk minutes
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The role players are playing too many minutes on this team. So far this year, KG's minutes have been kept to a minimum and that's a good things. But its hard to gauge this team when you have Baby and Sheed playing 20+minutes every game. Good things happen when KG is on the floor. Once Pierce returns, It'll be smart for Doc to see the starters play playoffs minutes. That's the only way to gauge this team.

Re: The only solution is to increase KG's and Perk minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Garnett needs to be playing 34-36 minutes a night. It's time to ramp up the minutes. He's had a month to find his legs after his long layoff. Now it's time to swim or drown trying.

Too many games where KG is floating in the background. More minutes will help him change that. Be more in the flow of the games, have more responsibility for and opportunity to effect his own impact on a game.

Perkins should be getting 31-33 minutes a game. He's too good to be playing so few minutes. Especially when Rasheed + BBD aren't contributing much.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not sure about this...

Moderate minutes for KG is pretty important.

I don't know what's been up with Perk lately, but suspect his greatest attribute has gone down the crapper.  He used to be a great role player, he knew his role, and did it better than almost anyone at his position.  He became invaluable by knowing his true value, but now seems to be wanting more?  Sit down and reflect on what got you here, big fella...

BBD is a 4th big in a 3 big rotation, or 5th in a 4-man.  He just doesn't have the height/length or the smarts to move the ball.  This isn't LSU, its the NBA's Boston Celtics.  Sit down, listen, and learn.

The only one that needs more PT, and also needs to step up and play the right way, is Sheed.  Unfortunately, he can't play the 4 anymore, so we probably only have 15-20 minutes for him, tops.  That leaves 12 minutes open, and I don't think KG can play more, so either it's Shelden or someone yet to be signed (Darius Miles?).

But playing KG and Perk more minutes is NOT the answer.

We also need a running lineup.  I think Doc has tried a bit since Nate got here, but hasn't found it yet.  BBD isn't that guy, either.  We need a Scal that is better than Scal for that.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would not increase KG's minutes as of right now...KG's health is important to our playoff run...Perk should have his minutes increased and have it share with sheed

to be honest...we should not panic right now...i know its not an excuse to blame it on health and lack of chemistry, but hey i dont care what seed we are in, we have the talent to win banner 18, i have faith that this celtic team will turn around come playoff time

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think the only way to get the funk out of our starters is to play them more minutes.

I think the injuries have taken too much time away from our team and our first unit as a whole.

It's time to get them more acclimated with each other again on the court.

If Doc has no problem playing Rondo and Ray into the ground, increasing KG, Paul's and Perk's minutes by a few aren't going to kill them. (And if it does, then it's time to scrap this team.)

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
LOL to KG playing more minutes.  Guy already looks like he's playing on one leg and wincing enough during games.  I'm surprised there hasnt been a thread about how he looked like he hurt himself again today.

But as for perk, I think its a matter of attempting to mold Davis and Sheed into some sort of shape or rhythm for the playoffs.
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think protecting KG does something to the psyche.

He isn't himself and it's noticeable.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think protecting KG does something to the psyche.

He isn't himself and it's noticeable.
Agreed -- a lot of his problems are mental, particularly on the offensive end of the floor. He'll be a lot more effective once he gains more confidence in the knee. Like he was in LA and in Portland.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I would like to see Doc shorten the rotation to an 8 man unit for two weeks or so. Play the starters 35-36 minutes apiece and let the three bench players play the rest. Build some continuity on the floor.

Too many pieces in and out of the rotation due to injuries. The team has lost it's cohesiveness.

It will also be easier for Nate to acclimate himself when he's playing alongside superior players + in a more consistent unit.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:14:46 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I respectfully disagree about increasing KG's minutes. Not now anyway. If anything, he should take another week or two off, then if he can, ramp it up for the playoff run. Because if KG isn't at least 90%, nothing else matters- it's over.
As for Perkins, what the heck is going on there? He's been awful lately. And what's with the team actually running plays for him? Talk about an automatic turnover! Yes, he's improved  over the years, but it's excruciating watching him get the ball down low and the other four guys standing around watching- IMO there should never be a play run for Perk. If he wants to score, let him get an offensive rebound and put it back. And I'm not really a Perk basher, it just seems obvious that his role should be more limited.
But if the team is going anywhere, Perk will need to be in the game for a lot of minutes, because Sheed and Baby are not getting anything done, my man Scal looks pathetic lately, and Doc obviously isn't going to use Williams, not that he's any kind of answer.