Author Topic: What happens if we lose Game 7?  (Read 8248 times)

Re: What happens if we lose Game 7?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
But honestly, if we lose this game...I think it only helps for next year.  The team will be hungrier knowing that they got close to a title, they know they didn't reach their potential.

I don't think you can really spin the stepping-stone argument unless they lose to the Pistons or beyond.  If they would've lost to ATL, it would be brutally hard to stay focused ALL next year.  If Doc were to stay, what kind of arguments could he use to keep them busting their asses all next year.  This year they did everything they asked him, and all that led to was an early exit?  I think with that Cavs, a loss would be somewhat less of a fiasco (e.g. there is a small chance they could stay focused next year), but I still think it would be very hard.  If they can get by today's game, then anything that happens next could be spun as a stepping stone.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Celtics win today.  No stepping stones, no draft talk, just ECFs. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
if the celtics lose today I can finally go back to having a normal social life were my mood isn't dependent on sporting events. This has been a very up-down playoffs. I'm mentally drained.  :)

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I dont remember Posey being guaranteed to return? Player option on his contract and he can get more money on the open market after this season. If he decides we arent going in his preferred direction, dont be surprised to see him hit the door. He will look to join a winner on the rise not a team staying 'pat'. The Lakers, Hornets or a bunch of teams snap him up for the midlevel in a heartbeart.

Could you imagine him on the Lakers? Oh man that would a brilliant fit. Posey is exactly what that team needs. His perimeter shooting, his defense, his composure under pressure, his toughness. He cuts well too so he'd fit into that Triangle nicely. Long, good height, strong; fits the profile for a Laker these days.

They could offer him a starting job, living in the sunshine of LA, being the frontrunner for the title. Heck of an offer.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Celticsblog will spontaneously combust.
Haha, yep.

What type of posting/hits do you think playoff exit garners versus a playoff loss? 3 times as much? 5 times? 7 times?

Server needs to watch out, potential attack coming

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This blog will become a Fire Doc dominated site again. For 5 months the Doc haters will burn through 2-3 keyboards with their venom. People will get sick of the hatred and stop posting for months until the next rumored deal or new coach comes up.

Oh, and my wife and kids will get to see their husband and dad again...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:33:49 AM by EJPLAYA »

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
We all wake up from that nightmare in a cold sweat, just in time to watch the C's win at home in game 7. No way they are losing today, a friend of mine just called me and said he has 2 floor level seats and asked if I want to go, the day is already starting off great, it is meant to be.

Celtic, you and I haven't seen eye to eye on much but I love your enthsiasm and support of your team.  If only every Celtic fan had as much confidence as you do.  Every Celtic fan should be expecting a win.  Don't worry abou a lose until it actually happens (or if it happens).

I will look for you on TV Celtic.  If you could do me a favor and do some major trash talking to Lebron I would really appreciate it.   :)

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I say look for us to trade Ray in the offseason

What would anyone possibly trade for Ray Allen after this stinker of a postseason? 

That's something I'm really worried about.  What happens if this team doesn't win a championship?  Not just this year, but this year or next year or the year after that.

They won't be able to get nearly as much back as what they gave up to get Allen and Garnett because instead of just "age" there will be the whole "They couldn't even get it done when they were finally playing with talent" argument.  They will have to pawn off Garnett, Allen and Pierce for just cap space.  This is the one scenario in which I'm ok with them retiring as Celtics, because their value will be considerably low and we'd need the cap room to rebuild.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

What would anyone possibly trade for Ray Allen after this stinker of a postseason? 

That's something I'm really worried about.  What happens if this team doesn't win a championship?  Not just this year, but this year or next year or the year after that.

They won't be able to get nearly as much back as what they gave up to get Allen and Garnett because instead of just "age" there will be the whole "They couldn't even get it done when they were finally playing with talent" argument.  They will have to pawn off Garnett, Allen and Pierce for just cap space.  This is the one scenario in which I'm ok with them retiring as Celtics, because their value will be considerably low and we'd need the cap room to rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker

You have just stated in a nutshell why some of us were opposed to trading Al Jefferson, particularly when all that mature talent was going to continue to be coached by Rivers.

As for Ray Allen, some team will hope he can rebound, just as Ainge hoped he would rebound after his injury-plagued 2006-07 season, followed by ankle surgery.  Fortunately for the C's, Ray's contract only has two more years after this one.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Looking at the bright side, if Boston loses today, then we will see a very entertaining Final between the Lakers and the Pistons.  The two best teams in the league playing for the title.  That's the way it should be.  Right now, the Celtics are definitely not as good as Detroit and it would be almost a crime if they somehow squeak past Cleveland while continuing to play that horrible offense.  As a fan of basketball, I would prefer to see the two best teams contending for the title, rather than a team that just got lucky.  The playoffs are definitely different from the regular season. 

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 12:06:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

You have just stated in a nutshell why some of us were opposed to trading Al Jefferson, particularly when all that mature talent was going to continue to be coached by Rivers.

As for Ray Allen, some team will hope he can rebound, just as Ainge hoped he would rebound after his injury-plagued 2006-07 season, followed by ankle surgery.  Fortunately for the C's, Ray's contract only has two more years after this one.

I still support the deals because on general principle, I think it's better to regret something done than regret something not done, but it certainly was an "all your eggs in one basket" kind of thing, and if it doesn't work out...we're all out of baskets.

Plus, in this hypothetical, future world where we haven't won anything with KG, it gives more credence to the "high schoolers can't win in the NBA" argument that I heard a lot a while back, and also Al didn't play a whole lot of defense, so I'm not going to be worried about him.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
...on general principle, I think it's better to regret something done than regret something not done...

Yes, which is why they should have fired Rivers 3 years ago after they blew game 7 at home to Indiana-- by 28 points.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
...on general principle, I think it's better to regret something done than regret something not done...

Yes, which is why they should have fired Rivers 3 years ago after they blew game 7 at home to Indiana-- by 28 points.

Haha.  EGGGG-zactly.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I turn off the TV, drink another beer, cuss under my breath, then put a LeBron jersey on my dog and beat him within an inch of his furry little life.

Just kidding!  I never turn my TV off.