Author Topic: 1988 Lakers  (Read 2607 times)

1988 Lakers
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
The 1988 Lakers won their last three series 4-3 on their way to a title, including being down 3-2 in the Finals. Yes, they played ugly. Yes, Zeke and Rodman should have finished the job in LA. But they didn't, and no one today talks about how the Lakers won the title that year. All they remember is the Lakers won.

The Celtics level of dominance has declined, but I think much of the decline is attributable to homer refs. Does anyone really think the Cs would have gone 31-10 on the road during the regular season if the refs would have been calling the games the way they are in the playoffs?

I highly doubt the Cs would have won 60 games.

In Game 6 the Celtics were up 31-25. The green was playing the way they had during the regular season, moving the ball on O and ball-hawking on D. Then I had to step out for five minutes. I return and they are down 9.

I rewind to see what happened and the Cavs didn't make one field goal. It was all fouls and free throws, meaning homer calls by the refs. So the Refs single-handedly turned a 6 point lead into a 9 point deficit.

Bottom line: I'm just not convinced that the Celtics quality of play has declined as much as everyone thinks it has. Playing seven-game series isn't the end of the world, as the Lakers proved in 1988. I'm not saying the Cs will win it all. On the other hand, they are only a couple of adjustments away to getting back on track.

Of course, if Ray Allen's ankles are fried, then the chances of them doing much of anything aren't great.

Re: 1988 Lakers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bottom line: I'm just not convinced that the Celtics quality of play has declined as much as everyone thinks it has

I was with you up until that sentence.  I think this team is pretty clearly playing more poorly right now -- on the road -- than it did in the regular season.  The three losses to the Hawks (a vastly inferior team) would suggest that.  The terrible shooting percentage on the road, the crazy rotations, the lack of energy in several of the road games: the team just isn't what it was.

We can still win the title; the Celts get nothing extra for style points.  Three teams have won a championship by only winning one road game (although that was when the playoffs were only two rounds).  If we win today, we start fresh against Detroit, with home court advantage.  It can be done.  To do so, though, I do think the team is going to need to show a return to form on the road; the opponents we play from here only get tougher.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Yes, Zeke and Rodman should have finished the job in LA. But they didn't,

If memory serves me right (I was only 10 at the time) the Lakers forced a game 7 on their home court thanks in no small part to a very questionable call late in the game on Laimbeer against Kareem who went on to make the free throws.  Dick Bavetta made the call.  I want to say I'm not a big supporter of the conspiracy theories and I know it wasn't him who called the charge on Pierce Friday but it's interesting that he's been involved in some very shady game 6 officiating (including the Lakers-Sacramento 2002 game).

I've heard a lot of support for a Celtics game 7 win backed up by the fact that those great Laker and Celtic teams of the 1980's had to experience the same thing.  Here's the problem though.  With those teams you knew who was taking over in the fourth quarter of a tight game.  Bird was as clutch as they come and Magic could either sink big baskets or get his teammates easy looks with some exceptional passing.  I don't know who the guy is on this team going into the fourth quarter of a game 7 (or any game for that matter) who can put the team on their back.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Bottom line: I'm just not convinced that the Celtics quality of play has declined as much as everyone thinks it has.
It has declined that much but there's no reason why the decline is permanent. They can regain their performance levels as they go on, they have to or else they're going to get knocked out.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bottom line: I'm just not convinced that the Celtics quality of play has declined as much as everyone thinks it has.
It has declined that much but there's no reason why the decline is permanent. They can regain their performance levels as they go on, they have to or else they're going to get knocked out.

Well, I'll add to that: can anyone honestly say our level of play has declined AT HOME?  Sure, on the road has been ugly, but by my count we have 5 blowouts, 1 tight game (Cleveland Game 1) and one moderately close game (Cleveland Game 5).  It's been Jekyll and Hyde with this bunch, but the Jekyll has been pretty encouraging.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline Woodstock Libertarian

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Bottom line: I'm just not convinced that the Celtics quality of play has declined as much as everyone thinks it has

I was with you up until that sentence.  I think this team is pretty clearly playing more poorly right now -- on the road -- than it did in the regular season.  The three losses to the Hawks (a vastly inferior team) would suggest that.  The terrible shooting percentage on the road, the crazy rotations, the lack of energy in several of the road games: the team just isn't what it was.

We can still win the title; the Celts get nothing extra for style points.  Three teams have won a championship by only winning one road game (although that was when the playoffs were only two rounds).  If we win today, we start fresh against Detroit, with home court advantage.  It can be done.  To do so, though, I do think the team is going to need to show a return to form on the road; the opponents we play from here only get tougher.

Playing worse, yes. Playing worse on the road, yes.

My question is by how much?

They did lose three games to the Hawks and three more to the Cavs. But how many of the road games would have been wins had the foul counts been more even? I hate to be a loser and place large blame on the officiating, but the Cs were dominant this year cuz of their D, and when they are getting called for more fouls on D now than during the regular season, it makes a difference. Some guy did an analysis of fouls per opponent's shot attempts, and the fouls are up like 15%.

So while they are playing worse, I'm just not sure that the six road losses are all attributable to a decline in the quality of play. Sadly, I'm gonna blame the officiating in large part.

Weird rotations don't help, but, you know, it's a team game and House/Cassell and Powe/Davis should be able to adjust. Now if Ray isn't 100% or even 80%, then definitely they are a different team.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
RMO.

You remember well. It was the worst call in a big moment that I can recall in NBA play-offs, truly turned the series around. That game was when Isiah played perhaps the gutsiest game I have ever seen anyone play, despite a severely badly sprained ankle. All for naught because an NBA ref decided to change the outcome. I don't believe it is conspiracy. More the comgbination of a game that is too fast to be properly officiated, and human ego (the refs).  The league needs to do a better job of getting rid of guys who screw up like that.