Author Topic: What happens if we lose Game 7?  (Read 8210 times)

What happens if we lose Game 7?
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:38:25 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm incredibly scared of this game...and I'm practically trying to convince myself that we're definately losing so then that way, if we do lose it won't hurt that much.

But say the worst happens (actually the worst would've been losing to the Atlanta Hawks in the 1st round but luckily we avoided that) and we lose to the Cavs in game 7.  What happens next?

We have our starting 5 in the big 3, Perk, and Rondo and our 6th man of James Posey.  You think we have the same team next year?  If the opportunity comes for more bench help then we obviously try and do it.  But honestly, if we lose this game...I think it only helps for next year.  The team will be hungrier knowing that they got close to a title, they know they didn't reach their potential.

Plus, it will make them mentally tougher for the playoffs next year.  I think that one of the main problems with this years playoffs for this team is that they seem to be mentally weak.  Next year, we will definately win road games in the playoffs.  They'll be ready for it, this team will have a year under their belt of playing together, Rondo will be a year older, Perk will be a year older.

Let's just hope we can ignore this topic after tomorrow *gulp*

Re: What happens if we lose Game 7?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:22 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think we are due for one of those games were Lebron wins it himself. Hopefully not.

Anyway, I don't think there is anything to be gained by losing tomorrow's game, no positive way to spin it. Losing playoff games and getting eliminated, especially on your home floor in a game 7, does not make you more mentally tough. Winning those games, and winning on the road makes you mentally tough. If anything, I expect the team to coast through the regular season a lot more next year as they are discovering the playoffs are very different.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:48:35 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Won't happen we are going to win it.  Nobody is coming into our place and winning a game  until...well until we face Detroit.  They worry me alot more than Cleveland does as to them coming in and winning in our place.  The only way the Cavs are winning is if the fix is in from Stern. 

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I give us an 80% chance of winning. That leaves a 20% chance of victory for the Cavs. I attribute 15 of that 20% to the possibility of a mental collapse by the Celtics. The remaining 5% can be chalked up to the off-chance that the Cavs supporting cast plays out of its mind. I don't think there is any chance that Lebron will beat us by himself. Every time he tries to go 1-5, it results in 1 of his 50+ turnovers. We shouldn't have to worry about what happens in the off season until late in the detroit series... lets hold off on these threads 'til then.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:12:17 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
We'll probably end up losing this game...... Lebron will probably go off for like 50 and our Big 3 will probably only get a combined 49 points.......

I say look for us to trade Ray in the offseason

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:43:29 AM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm so nervous about this game i couldn't sleep last night.

But ultimately, win or lose today, this season has been extremely exciting and i'm sure next year will be great also.

Just hope Stern realizes that practically everyone wants to see the Green in the Finals along with the Lakers.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:02:43 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Win or lose, we need to get longer and more athletic next season. We cannot afford to stand pat and the draft will only net us one marginal player if we are lucky. We need to sign a FA, trading Ray will p.o. KG and we dont need that kind of problem. Better to trade Tony Allen and/or Leon Powe if we get a chance at an upgrade.

I dont remember Posey being guaranteed to return? Player option on his contract and he can get more money on the open market after this season. If he decides we arent going in his preferred direction, dont be surprised to see him hit the door. He will look to join a winner on the rise not a team staying 'pat'. The Lakers, Hornets or a bunch of teams snap him up for the midlevel in a heartbeart.

I think we come back and win Game seven in our house. I hope the team has learned a lesson or two after these two series going to seven games. Just flat out ridiculous for us. What would the Vegas odds have been that these two teams would take us to the limit? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
If the Celtics can't figure out how to use Ray other than making him a spot-up shooter most of the time, they should just trade him.  The priorites I'd say still remain the same--a backup/starting center and a backup PG.  House will likely not be back.  Cassell is a question mark at his age, with injuries and diminishing skills.  Pruitt is not a certain quantity--is he more suited at shooting guard?   

I agree with getting longer and athletic.  Hate to trade Leon or Baby but they would not be off the table.  Scal fits the long part.  Too bad he's not athletic.  ;D         

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:52 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
A million people will show up here to try to explain why it wasn't Rivers' fault. I expect the Celtics to win, though.  Cleveland hasn't shown the ability to win on the road either.  A cynic might say that the league and the officials have had a hand in the incredible disparity between home and road wins in these playoffs.  Certainly it extends the length of series and maximizes revenue for the league and the TV networks.

The worst thing that happened was winning game 7 against Altanta. Had the Celtics lost, they would have fired Rivers (hopefully) and would have had a shot at D'Antoni.

In 2-3 years the Knicks will be a 50 win team and the Celtics will be rebuilding--again. The Celtics must already be thinking about moving Ray Allen.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 08:18:53 AM »

Offline Green Mountain

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
Hopefully we draft Tony Allen's replacement. The guy is a shell of his former self. Maybe we can find a guard who can say shoot and dribble and play almost as good of defense.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
This is the biggest danger for the Celtics -- this team is built for a 3 year run.  After that the Celtics will have a ton of dead contract weight and need a few years to recover. 

Bottom line: The Celtics need a real coach, win or lose today.

A million people will show up here to try to explain why it wasn't Rivers' fault. I expect the Celtics to win, though.  Cleveland hasn't shown the ability to win on the road either.  A cynic might say that the league and the officials have had a hand in the incredible disparity between home and road wins in these playoffs.  Certainly it extends the length of series and maximizes revenue for the league and the TV networks.

The worst thing that happened was winning game 7 against Altanta. Had the Celtics lost, they would have fired Rivers (hopefully) and would have had a shot at D'Antoni.

In 2-3 years the Knicks will be a 50 win team and the Celtics will be rebuilding--again. The Celtics must already be thinking about moving Ray Allen.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think Celticsblog will spontaneously combust.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »

Online Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
We all wake up from that nightmare in a cold sweat, just in time to watch the C's win at home in game 7. No way they are losing today, a friend of mine just called me and said he has 2 floor level seats and asked if I want to go, the day is already starting off great, it is meant to be.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Hopefully we draft Tony Allen's replacement. The guy is a shell of his former self. Maybe we can find a guard who can say shoot and dribble and play almost as good of defense.

Here he is ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jrgiddens.html

He's a do-it-all SG out of New Mexico and reminds me a lot of of former New Mexico Lobo Danny Granger in his ability to do it all. He's only projected as a mid-second rounder right now, but once all the pre-draft workouts start, my guess is he climbs the board a bit.  Ainge played in the WAC for BYU, so my guess is he might still have a special affinity for scouting players from the Mountain West (BYU's conference).

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If we lose game 7.... I don't even know. I didn't think we were going to play a game 7 until the ECF before the playoffs started but we are going into our 2nd game 7 of the post season.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6