Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 224929 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-25, 2nd Slot on 1/1)
« Reply #1170 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Loving okc for this. Steven Adams is reliable

« Reply #1171 on: January 04, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
OKC wins 133-96.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:57:40 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #1172 on: January 04, 2018, 01:13:06 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
How do you go on an 8 game losing streak and then get blown out at home by 37 pts on the 8th game in that streak? Where's the leadership on the Lakers?

I've been saying it for a while... Lakers are the worst team in the nba. Losing streaks that don't seem to have an end in sight because they're  Too young. No defense. No veteran leadership. Highly inconsistent game play. Bad coach. Very Disgruntled bench players. Injuries. So many things wrong

« Reply #1173 on: January 04, 2018, 01:16:41 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
How do you go on an 8 game losing streak and then get blown out at home by 37 pts on the 8th game in that streak? Where's the leadership on the Lakers?

I've been saying it for a while... Lakers are the worst team in the nba. Losing streaks that don't seem to have an end in sight because they're  Too young. No defense. No veteran leadership. Highly inconsistent game play. Bad coach. Very Disgruntled bench players. Injuries. So many things wrong
Youngest team in the league by far.

Pretty sure the average age is 23.5.

Their "leaders" are KCP and Brook Lopez... yikes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1174 on: January 04, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
Lakers were obliterated by OKC 133-96 (even though they started the game on a 10-0 run).  They play no defense especially Randle. 

One play exemplifies how little if any heart Randle has.  Near the end of the half, Westbrook was on the wing on the left side of the court and blew by the defender using a spin move, elevated with the ball in his left (proper) hand for the layup or the flush, Randle was in the paint moving over sizing him up as if he was going to go for the block but inexplicably backed off allowing the easy lay in even though Westbrook switched the ball to his right making it easier to block. 

The rest of the half he played similar matador defense rivaling a Youtube vid and posted here on this site of Okafor's lack of effort on defense, couldn't hold onto passes in the paint or otherwise if his life depended on it and couldn't hit a shot outside of 10-12 feet.  For those who still think Danny should have drafted him over Smart (or still pine for Randle wanting the C's to trade for him now), watch the game on NBA replay for a little dash of reality.

The Lakers are bad, I mean Nets bad 2 seasons ago and but for the fact they don't have any reason legitimate to tank having given up their pick to Philly which the C's now own, I wouldn't put it past Magic (Team President) to allow the team to tank all the way to the cellar as the worst team in the NBA to screw the C's out of that pick conveying to the C's which is #1 pick overall protected. 

« Reply #1175 on: January 04, 2018, 01:34:43 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Lakers were obliterated by OKC 133-96 (even though they started the game on a 10-0 run).  They play no defense especially Randle. 

One play exemplifies how little if any heart Randle has.  Near the end of the half, Westbrook was on the wing on the left side of the court and blew by the defender using a spin move, elevated with the ball in his left (proper) hand for the layup or the flush, Randle was in the paint moving over sizing him up as if he was going to go for the block but inexplicably backed off allowing the easy lay in even though Westbrook switched the ball to his right making it easier to block. 

The rest of the half he played similar matador defense rivaling a Youtube vid and posted here on this site of Okafor's lack of effort on defense, couldn't hold onto passes in the paint or otherwise if his life depended on it and couldn't hit a shot outside of 10-12 feet.  For those who still think Danny should have drafted him over Smart (or still pine for Randle wanting the C's to trade for him now), watch the game on NBA replay for a little dash of reality.

The Lakers are bad, I mean Nets bad 2 seasons ago and but for the fact they don't have any reason legitimate to tank having given up their pick to Philly which the C's now own, I wouldn't put it past Magic (Team President) to allow the team to tank all the way to the cellar as the worst team in the NBA to screw the C's out of that pick conveying to the C's which is #1 pick overall protected.
Watched a few minutes of the game and didn't notice Randle as being too bad.

Also, if his effort was as bad as you claim, that surprises me. His defense has been really quite good this year and he has been the Lakers best source of energy and compete-level for most of this year.

Uncharacteristic game for him.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1176 on: January 04, 2018, 02:14:36 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

"By far" means what to you exactly? I don't know for sure because I haven't seen the numbers in a long time but I think there were about 6 teams who are basically in a virtual tie for the youngest team with only months separating all of them (think the age is 24), one of those being CELTICS! There are 2 (maybe more) teams "younger" than the Lakers, PHX and CHI.

I think maybe the Celtics have just turned 25 before those other teams but yeah, Lakers aren't the youngest.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1177 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:21 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

"By far" means what to you exactly? I don't know for sure because I haven't seen the numbers in a long time but I think there were about 6 teams who are basically in a virtual tie for the youngest team with only months separating all of them (think the age is 24), one of those being CELTICS! There are 2 (maybe more) teams "younger" than the Lakers, PHX and CHI.

I think maybe the Celtics have just turned 25 before those other teams but yeah, Lakers aren't the youngest.
If you do a weighted average by minutes played LA is the youngest team in the league at 23.54 years.

Phoenix is 2nd at 23.98 then us at 24.54

should have clarified that I meant weighted by minutes played.

« Reply #1178 on: January 04, 2018, 02:49:47 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
What I am most surprised about and is how average Ingram has been this season and he's allowed Kuzma to take control of the Lakers offence and sometimes he only takes a handful of shots. It makes me laugh how he still gets compared to Durant, I was always a fan of Ingram but he has flatlined this season and I am sure if Jaylen was in his position he would be averaging 20 points a game and be the alpha of that team.

« Reply #1179 on: January 04, 2018, 03:24:57 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

If you do a weighted average by minutes played LA is the youngest team in the league at 23.54 years.

Phoenix is 2nd at 23.98 then us at 24.54

should have clarified that I meant weighted by minutes played.

Still not feeling it because less mins can come from a lot of reasons like injuries or choosing to sit some players.

Maybe adding the ages of the players that actually play would be better? I dunno. I'm just saying Lakers aren't really less experienced than quite a few of the young teams and it's definitely not "by far."

edit: Tatum leads the league in mins played but he doesn't even lead our team in mins per game. There are reasons why mins played don't really do it for me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:30:18 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1181 on: January 04, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
We know that Lakers are assured good luck in the lottery. With the exception of the 2014 draft, LAL has been the only team in the NBA (since the Lakers tank began) to either move up or remain equal based on their pre-lottery position.  Lakers have lucked into the #2 pick the last three years in a row.  Maybe the lottery gods will see this pick as a "Lakers" pick rather than an automatically conveyed pick. What do the gods know about trades and such. Lottery gods may give LAL four straight years at #2.

The funny thing is, we both know that nothing in the lottery this year has anything to do with what has happened in previous years, but quips like this one make me hopeful, anyway. :)

I kind of like Randle. If he's on the block, is there any realistic way that he ends up in green?

Mike

« Reply #1182 on: January 04, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We know that Lakers are assured good luck in the lottery. With the exception of the 2014 draft, LAL has been the only team in the NBA (since the Lakers tank began) to either move up or remain equal based on their pre-lottery position.  Lakers have lucked into the #2 pick the last three years in a row.  Maybe the lottery gods will see this pick as a "Lakers" pick rather than an automatically conveyed pick. What do the gods know about trades and such. Lottery gods may give LAL four straight years at #2.

The funny thing is, we both know that nothing in the lottery this year has anything to do with what has happened in previous years, but quips like this one make me hopeful, anyway. :)

I kind of like Randle. If he's on the block, is there any realistic way that he ends up in green?

Mike

I’m fairly sure the Lakers would trade Randle for a decent 1st at the deadline.  He fits the DPE.  We have some spare 1sts.  I don’t think it likely, but it if both sides were interested in a deal, it could happen.

« Reply #1183 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
They are a bottom 6 team for sure...

They are a bottom 8 team for sure. A month ago people were saying we'd never get the pick because LA were close to the 8th seed, now they go on a losing streak and we are guaranteed the pick. They'll go on a run at some point and move back up the ranks, hopefully not too much.

There is still a long way to go, if I were to revisit my pre-season prediction I'd still agree with it. The Lakers will finish with the 4th or 5th worst record, we will need luck in the lottery to get the Lakers pick to convey.

4th or 5th worst means we wouldn’t need luck to get it. Bad luck could prevent us from getting it, but we wouldn’t be hoping for good fortune for conveyance.
4th yes it would need to be bad luck but if we had the 5th best odds then the most likely landing spot is actually 6th. http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-26, 2nd Slot on 1/3)
« Reply #1184 on: January 04, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
I'd say 3rd is the sweet spot in terms of the pick conveying.