Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 224677 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-25, 2nd Slot on 1/1)
« Reply #1155 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
We know that Lakers are assured good luck in the lottery. With the exception of the 2014 draft, LAL has been the only team in the NBA (since the Lakers tank began) to either move up or remain equal based on their pre-lottery position.  Lakers have lucked into the #2 pick the last three years in a row.  Maybe the lottery gods will see this pick as a "Lakers" pick rather than an automatically conveyed pick. What do the gods know about trades and such. Lottery gods may give LAL four straight years at #2.

« Reply #1156 on: January 03, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
We know that Lakers are assured good luck in the lottery. With the exception of the 2014 draft, LAL has been the only team in the NBA (since the Lakers tank began) to either move up or remain equal based on their pre-lottery position.  Lakers have lucked into the #2 pick the last three years in a row.  Maybe the lottery gods will see this pick as a "Lakers" pick rather than an automatically conveyed pick. What do the gods know about trades and such. Lottery gods may give LAL four straight years at #2.

Idk.. should we hope LAL finishes 3rd worst so that there's an even lower chance it's #1  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1157 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The nets are better... when okafor and Russell get in they will be fine
If Okafor ever gets in. He has been in Brooklyn for 14 games and had played in one game for 22 minutes and had a +/- of -21. Brooklyn is a bad team. Okafor SHOULD be getting minutes there. That he isn't is telling.
They told him he was in unacceptable shape and wouldn't play until that changed
Had no idea. I guess I was right. It is telling.

Thing is wasn't there a story about him coming into camp much thinner and in great shape. Maybe that story was bogus.
It was probably one of the countless bogus "best shape of my life" stories, but in Philly he was riding pine and probably not practicing. Its possible he came into camp in shape and then kinda deteriorated. This would still be his fault as a professional athlete has a responsibility to stay in good shape regardless.

Either way, it appears he has finally reached an adequate level of fitness and we will see if he can finally start contributing to winning.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/the-nets-are-unleashing-jahlil-okafor-whose-game-is-changing/

I've long thought he was a talented kid and stayed on the Okafor train longer than almost anyone else. He is a tremendously talented player with some incredible physical attributes. I wish him the best.

I mean, he has to be better than Tyler Zeller...right?

BKN hasn't been playing well. I'd like to see them at least finish better than LAL - even if the pick doesn't convey.

« Reply #1158 on: January 03, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

Idk.. should we hope LAL finishes 3rd worst so that there's an even lower chance it's #1  :P

Dude, I thought about this the other day! I think 3rd worst would statistically be the most likely spot for the pick to convey and also not end up #1. Even in the unlikely event that TWO teams jump in to the top 3, we would bump down to the 5-slot.

At 3, you have a lower percentage than 1&2 of not getting #1 either. Plus they draw for #1 first, so once that team is decided, we would be locked in somewhere 2-5 no matter what.

« Reply #1159 on: January 03, 2018, 09:18:21 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Dude, I thought about this the other day! I think 3rd worst would statistically be the most likely spot for the pick to convey and also not end up #1. Even in the unlikely event that TWO teams jump in to the top 3, we would bump down to the 5-slot.

At 3, you have a lower percentage than 1&2 of not getting #1 either. Plus they draw for #1 first, so once that team is decided, we would be locked in somewhere 2-5 no matter what.

From what some have posted here, the odds of having pick #2-5 with the 2nd AND 3rd worst records is 80%.

But then obviously 2nd worst record means about a 19% chance at pick #1, and 3rd worst means about 13% chance at #1.

« Reply #1160 on: January 03, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The nets are better... when okafor and Russell get in they will be fine
If Okafor ever gets in. He has been in Brooklyn for 14 games and had played in one game for 22 minutes and had a +/- of -21. Brooklyn is a bad team. Okafor SHOULD be getting minutes there. That he isn't is telling.
They told him he was in unacceptable shape and wouldn't play until that changed
Had no idea. I guess I was right. It is telling.

Thing is wasn't there a story about him coming into camp much thinner and in great shape. Maybe that story was bogus.
It was probably one of the countless bogus "best shape of my life" stories, but in Philly he was riding pine and probably not practicing. Its possible he came into camp in shape and then kinda deteriorated. This would still be his fault as a professional athlete has a responsibility to stay in good shape regardless.

Either way, it appears he has finally reached an adequate level of fitness and we will see if he can finally start contributing to winning.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/the-nets-are-unleashing-jahlil-okafor-whose-game-is-changing/

I've long thought he was a talented kid and stayed on the Okafor train longer than almost anyone else. He is a tremendously talented player with some incredible physical attributes. I wish him the best.

I mean, he has to be better than Tyler Zeller...right?

BKN hasn't been playing well. I'd like to see them at least finish better than LAL - even if the pick doesn't convey.

Brooklyn has now won three out of its last four to move to 15-23, with the recent loss being to the C's. Wins @MIA, vs. ORL, and vs. MIN.  :) They finished 20-62 last year and 21-61 the year before that.

« Reply #1161 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:12 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
GREAT WIN C'S!!

NOW GO OKC!!!  8)

« Reply #1162 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nets won

Suns keeping it close with nuggets

Mavs within 2 pts of warriors in the 3rd

« Reply #1163 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Nets won

Suns keeping it close with nuggets

Mavs within 2 pts of warriors in the 3rd

Hope Suns win.

Honestly think GSW pulls away late, but who knows.

TP for the updates  ;D

« Reply #1164 on: January 03, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Wow. Great game in Dallas. Steph with a game-winner.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1165 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:43 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
Wow. Great game in Dallas. Steph with a game-winner.

Mavs came back to tie that game.  They're a better team than their record would indicate.  Mediocre but better than the Lakers is all that matters.

« Reply #1166 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
OKC is a train wreck waiting to happen.  Donovan has no control over his players.  Westbrook looking p---ed at the matador defense by his teammates on a TO and at the break at the quarter.  Virtually everybody on the team jacks up 3's from anywhere on the court. 

Just went to TO early 2nd quarter after PG drilled a 3.  Instead of going back to the bench with the rest of his teammates, he started glad handing fans and hugged his dad sitting in the front row seats...on the opposite side of the court. 

P.S. OKC is destroying the Lakers up by 15 last 2 mins before the half. This after spotting the Lakers 10-0 to start the game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:33:53 PM by BlastFromThePast »

« Reply #1167 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
OKC is a train wreck waiting to happen.  Donovan has no control over his players.  Westbrook looking p---ed at the matador defense by his teammates on a TO and at the break at the quarter.  Virtually everybody on the team jacks up 3's from anywhere on the court. 

Just went to TO early 2nd quarter after PG drilled a 3.  Instead of going back to the bench with the rest of his teammates, he started glad handing fans and hugged his dad sitting in the front row seats...on the opposite side of the court.

Disagree. They look like they are really starting to click to me. Last two they dropped were tough losses against rising teams (Bucks, Dallas)

Wouldn't be surprised if they win this by 30. Then go on a fairly long streak until late Jan...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:37:50 PM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1168 on: January 03, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Disagree. They look like they are really starting to click to me. Last two they dropped were tough losses against rising teams (Bucks, Dallas)

Wouldn't be surprised if they win this by 30. Then go on a fairly long streak until late Jan...

Oh they'll win this game going away (it's the Lakers after all and they have reached new lows in suckitude) but in the long run, Donovan not having control over his players is going to haunt OKC...or result in him being run out of a job. 

« Reply #1169 on: January 03, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
71-51 OKC pummeling the Lakers

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)