Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 224698 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-25, 2nd Slot on 1/1)
« Reply #1140 on: January 03, 2018, 04:47:44 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
They are a bottom 6 team for sure...

They are a bottom 8 team for sure. A month ago people were saying we'd never get the pick because LA were close to the 8th seed, now they go on a losing streak and we are guaranteed the pick. They'll go on a run at some point and move back up the ranks, hopefully not too much.

There is still a long way to go, if I were to revisit my pre-season prediction I'd still agree with it. The Lakers will finish with the 4th or 5th worst record, we will need luck in the lottery to get the Lakers pick to convey.

« Reply #1141 on: January 03, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

They are a bottom 8 team for sure. A month ago people were saying we'd never get the pick because LA were close to the 8th seed, now they go on a losing streak and we are guaranteed the pick. They'll go on a run at some point and move back up the ranks, hopefully not too much.

There is still a long way to go, if I were to revisit my pre-season prediction I'd still agree with it. The Lakers will finish with the 4th or 5th worst record, we will need luck in the lottery to get the Lakers pick to convey.

I still have them outside the lottery. Orlando, Sacramento, Atlanta and Dallas and Brooklyn will trail.

Mike

« Reply #1142 on: January 03, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The nets are better... when okafor and Russell get in they will be fine

« Reply #1143 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Okafor ever gets in. He has been in Brooklyn for 14 games and had played in one game for 22 minutes and had a +/- of -21. Brooklyn is a bad team. Okafor SHOULD be getting minutes there. That he isn't is telling.

« Reply #1144 on: January 03, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Lonzo Ball (shoulder) will not play tonight vs. OKC, Lakers say. Brook Lopez (ankle) and Kyle Kuzma (quad) are available.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/948632008925696001

« Reply #1145 on: January 03, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If Okafor ever gets in. He has been in Brooklyn for 14 games and had played in one game for 22 minutes and had a +/- of -21. Brooklyn is a bad team. Okafor SHOULD be getting minutes there. That he isn't is telling.
They told him he was in unacceptable shape and wouldn't play until that changed
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1146 on: January 03, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

4th or 5th worst means we wouldn’t need luck to get it. Bad luck could prevent us from getting it, but we wouldn’t be hoping for good fortune for conveyance.

I still have them outside the lottery. Orlando, Sacramento, Atlanta and Dallas and Brooklyn will trail.

Mike

Outside the lottery?!?

You think they are making the playoffs? I hope you mean outside the top-5. I personally think they are bottom-5.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1147 on: January 03, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Lakers are the worst team. Easily. Bottom 3. They aren't a bottom 8. They aren't a bottom 6. And they aren't outside the lottery. They are on a long LOSING streak for a reason

« Reply #1148 on: January 03, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Had no idea. I guess I was right. It is telling.

Thing is wasn't there a story about him coming into camp much thinner and in great shape. Maybe that story was bogus.

« Reply #1149 on: January 03, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

4th or 5th worst means we wouldn’t need luck to get it. Bad luck could prevent us from getting it, but we wouldn’t be hoping for good fortune for conveyance.

Mike

Outside the lottery?!?

You think they are making the playoffs? I hope you mean outside the top-5. I personally think they are bottom-5.

Oops. What you said.

Mike

« Reply #1150 on: January 03, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
The only thing that will allow for LA to drastically improve this season would be to make trades for Paul George and/or Demarcus Cousins. Realistically, I don't see this as possible, at least to get both players, without trading Luol Deng. Neither team is going to take on that contract unless LA is willing to forfeit at least one unprotected 1st rounder, which would be a high risk/reward for LA and NO/OKC. Makes no sense.

However, a trade of Randle, Clarkson, Zubac and some kind of heavily protected 1st rounder would be a solid return for either NO or OKC, if it becomes clear that retaining either guy is futile.

Does this type of move produce immediate wins for LA, or is it more of a lateral move for this season, to set up for free agency in summer?

« Reply #1151 on: January 03, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Had no idea. I guess I was right. It is telling.

Thing is wasn't there a story about him coming into camp much thinner and in great shape. Maybe that story was bogus.
It was probably one of the countless bogus "best shape of my life" stories, but in Philly he was riding pine and probably not practicing. Its possible he came into camp in shape and then kinda deteriorated. This would still be his fault as a professional athlete has a responsibility to stay in good shape regardless.

Either way, it appears he has finally reached an adequate level of fitness and we will see if he can finally start contributing to winning.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/the-nets-are-unleashing-jahlil-okafor-whose-game-is-changing/

I've long thought he was a talented kid and stayed on the Okafor train longer than almost anyone else. He is a tremendously talented player with some incredible physical attributes. I wish him the best.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1152 on: January 03, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Oh the joy in getting to root for the Lakers to lose games for us! Let them gut their team at the trade deadline for a chance to sign a few big stars in the offseason! Fingers crossed.

« Reply #1153 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Oh the joy in getting to root for the Lakers to lose games for us! Let them gut their team at the trade deadline for a chance to sign a few big stars in the offseason! Fingers crossed.
Clarkson and Randle have been two of their best players this year and both could be on the way out as salary dumps.

Fingers crossed indeed.

« Reply #1154 on: January 03, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I agree...just hoping it's for a mediocre, larger expiring deal like Greg Monroe, to clear cap space AND make them even worse intermittently.