Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 224909 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-24, 2nd Slot on 12/31)
« Reply #1095 on: January 01, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think this Lakers twam is horrible. I can definitely see them at 25-57 and in the bottom three in the league.

They are absolutely pathetic. Remember they havent just been losing to bad teams, they lost to Memphis at home. They've lost 9 of 10 and 14 of 17. Every game is a tough game for them, sure sign of  terrible team. I say 26 wins topsf

« Reply #1096 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
BBall refs projecting them to finish 6th worst which would give us like a 33 percent chance at the pick.

Teams like LA typically underperform these projections by a bit because they are so young and lose close games.

If they trade Clarkson or Randle to clear up space for multiple maxes this offseason they could dip even farther.

Dont think its likely we get the pick, but its entirely possible right now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1097 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
BBall refs projecting them to finish 6th worst which would give us like a 33 percent chance at the pick.

Teams like LA typically underperform these projections by a bit because they are so young and lose close games.

If they trade Clarkson or Randle to clear up space for multiple maxes this offseason they could dip even farther.

6th worst only gives a 15% chance of conveying.  Why are posters too lazy to look up basic facts?

« Reply #1098 on: January 01, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

6th worst only gives a 15% chance of conveying.  Why are posters too lazy to look up basic facts?
My fault. Miswrote the post.

BBall ref projects them to finish in 6th, but projects their chances of landing 2-5 post lotto at ~33%
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1099 on: January 01, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

BBall ref projects them to finish in 6th, but projects their chances of landing 2-5 post lotto at ~33%
Yeah, they're wrong. The 6th pick has a 7.1% chancs of landing the 2nd pick and an 8.1% chance of landing the third pick. So add them together, the Celtics have a 15.2% chance of getting a pick if the Lakers finish 6th worst.

« Reply #1100 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Yeah, they're wrong. The 6th pick has a 7.1% chancs of landing the 2nd pick and an 8.1% chance of landing the third pick. So add them together, the Celtics have a 15.2% chance of getting a pick if the Lakers finish 6th worst.
yes, but the 33% number is not he probability that the pick lands 2-5 given that LA finishes 6th worst.

They've taken the probability that they believe LA lands in each slot and multiplied that by the probability that each slot results in each post-lotto position and added them up.

Today, BBall ref is projecting LA to have a 33% chance of ultimately seeing the pick conveyed.

Their projection is not perfect, but I think its inaccurate to say that they are "wrong"

« Reply #1101 on: January 01, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Have a good chance of running the relevant Lakers pick games again tonight:

Orlando at Brooklyn —> win/win

Portland at Chicago —> Chicago has a good shot to steal this one with Lillard still out

LAL at Minnesota —> should be an easy loss for LAL after a double OT game last night

« Reply #1102 on: January 01, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

yes, but the 33% number is not he probability that the pick lands 2-5 given that LA finishes 6th worst.

They've taken the probability that they believe LA lands in each slot and multiplied that by the probability that each slot results in each post-lotto position and added them up.

Today, BBall ref is projecting LA to have a 33% chance of ultimately seeing the pick conveyed.

Their projection is not perfect, but I think its inaccurate to say that they are "wrong"

Thanks for clarifying.  Sorry I took out a pet peeve on you.

« Reply #1103 on: January 01, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You lost me here...first you say they project LA to finish in the sixth spot and they project that in that case for the pick to convey to Boston at 33%. That's dead wrong if LA lands 6th. Its a 15.2% chance as the only way the pick conveys is if we win the lottery and get either the third or second pick.

Whatever other math they are doing isn't just for the 6th slot. At least that's what it sounds like. It sounds like they are doing the probability the pick conveys no matter where the Lakers land in the lottery.

« Reply #1104 on: January 01, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

You lost me here...first you say they project LA to finish in the sixth spot and they project that in that case for the pick to convey to Boston at 33%. That's dead wrong if LA lands 6th. Its a 15.2% chance as the only way the pick conveys is if we win the lottery and get either the third or second pick.

Whatever other math they are doing isn't just for the 6th slot. At least that's what it sounds like. It sounds like they are doing the probability the pick conveys no matter where the Lakers land in the lottery.
yeah. It was my fault because the way I wrote it suggests (explicitly states) that the numbers were directly correlated. They arent.

BBall ref generates probabilities that a team finishes in each spot. The found the 6th spot to be the most likely for the LA Lakers.

Then they use the aggregate of these probabilities in combination with the given lotto odds at each spot to calculate the odds that a team holds each spot in the post-lotto draft.

BBall ref has projects the Lakers chances of a 2-5 post lotto pick at 2-5. They have also projected that the Lakers are most likely to finish 6th to worst. These are separate projections. The confusion is a product of my inability to write a sentence.

« Reply #1105 on: January 01, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wolves destroying the lakers so far

« Reply #1106 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

yeah. It was my fault because the way I wrote it suggests (explicitly states) that the numbers were directly correlated. They arent.

BBall ref generates probabilities that a team finishes in each spot. The found the 6th spot to be the most likely for the LA Lakers.

Then they use the aggregate of these probabilities in combination with the given lotto odds at each spot to calculate the odds that a team holds each spot in the post-lotto draft.

BBall ref has projects the Lakers chances of a 2-5 post lotto pick at 2-5. They have also projected that the Lakers are most likely to finish 6th to worst. These are separate projections. The confusion is a product of my inability to write a sentence.
Ahhh. Okay. TP. That makes a lot more sense

« Reply #1107 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They only have 18 pts and we’re almost done with the first half lol

Someone’s tired after double OT

« Reply #1108 on: January 01, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
48-60 at the half...

« Reply #1109 on: January 01, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
8-2 to start 2nd half. They aren’t giving up easily.