Author Topic: Off topic - Masters in Accounting no CPA plans; what can someone expect?  (Read 10369 times)

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Someone dear to me is finishing a Masters in Accounting, but not planning on becoming a CPA.

For those of you with experience in the Accounting world; what can this person expect with those credentials?

Thanks for your take - in advance.

Re: Off topic - Masters in Accounting no CPA plans; what can someone expect?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:08:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Someone dear to me is finishing a Masters in Accounting, but not planning on becoming a CPA.

For those of you with experience in the Accounting world; what can this person expect with those credentials?

In the current unemployment environment they can find a job very easy but getting a managerial or consulting job without CPA might be difficult.
I work with accountants sometimes and that has been my experience

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

From my limited experience as someone who's now finishing up his bachelor's degree for Accounting (I work in my father's CPA firm, and he has also mentioned this to me before,) I believe there are plenty of options available; from business, finance, marketing, to sales. Accounting majors are eligible for just about, if not virtually, every entry-level job most finance, business, or account majors are certified for.

I've been looking at many finance-related internships and jobs, and majority of them all have the information that states it's looking for a finance degree also asks for either accounting or says "related field." Accounting is about as close to finance as you're gonna get. It's actually a pretty wide range of what most employers in the business/finance market look for, especially in stock brokers, because those people are pretty advanced in statistical and circumstantial evidence.

You could do managerial accountant, CFA, bank examiner, internal auditor, work in marketing, sales or retail side of businesses. You could also pursue some sort of entrepreneurial venture and be the finance, books guy in a partnership.

Really, it has been my experience, limited as it is, that for the most part accounting majors are welcome to apply for a variety of jobs that are not strictly accounting. And given that even if you go on to some sort of entry level management job in any field you will eventually be confronted with a budget, balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows, etc., you may even have some kind of advantage.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Just out of curiosity, why don't they want to pursue becoming a CPA? 

I have a B.S. in accounting and a Masters in taxation.  Then became a CPA.   Guess I'm trying to figure out why you would go the MSA route but then not go for the CPA? 

Even without a CPA, a Masters in Accounting is a good tool to have and certainly will help on a resume.  If they're looking in the private sector, I'm sure they'll be fine. Not having a CPA or an intention to get a CPA will certainly limit things in public accounting, though.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

From my limited experience as someone who's now finishing up his bachelor's degree for Accounting (I work in my father's CPA firm, and he has also mentioned this to me before,) I believe there are plenty of options available; from business, finance, marketing, to sales. Accounting majors are eligible for just about, if not virtually, every entry-level job most finance, business, or account majors are certified for.

I've been looking at many finance-related internships and jobs, and majority of them all have the information that states it's looking for a finance degree also asks for either accounting or says "related field." Accounting is about as close to finance as you're gonna get. It's actually a pretty wide range of what most employers in the business/finance market look for, especially in stock brokers, because those people are pretty advanced in statistical and circumstantial evidence.

You could do managerial accountant, CFA, bank examiner, internal auditor, work in marketing, sales or retail side of businesses. You could also pursue some sort of entrepreneurial venture and be the finance, books guy in a partnership.

Really, it has been my experience, limited as it is, that for the most part accounting majors are welcome to apply for a variety of jobs that are not strictly accounting. And given that even if you go on to some sort of entry level management job in any field you will eventually be confronted with a budget, balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows, etc., you may even have some kind of advantage.

Yeah, accounting is a great fundamental base for the business world.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I have a B.S. in accounting and a Masters in taxation.  Then became a CPA.   Guess I'm trying to figure out why you would go the MSA route but then not go for the CPA? 

Even without a CPA, a Masters in Accounting is a good tool to have and certainly will help on a resume.  If they're looking in the private sector, I'm sure they'll be fine. Not having a CPA or an intention to get a CPA will certainly limit things in public accounting, though.   

If I had to take a guess, it's probably due to the work load and 60-80 hours a week of hell until the 15th of April, we call 'Tax Season.'   ::) ;D

I also think the misconception that CPA's generally work 60-80 hours a week, and have literally no life outside of work, and are boring people due to the nature of their profession always seemed kind of iffy to me.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

If I had to take a guess, it's probably due to the work load and 60-80 hours a week of hell until the 15th of April, we call 'Tax Season.'   ::) ;D

I also think the misconception that CPA's generally work 60-80 hours a week, and have literally no life outside of work, and are boring people due to the nature of their profession always seemed kind of iffy to me.

Valid.  That's why I said I don't think its much of an issue in private.   Public, you'll hit a ceiling fast.

And, personally,  9/15 is the worst deadline.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
CPA on the resume is nice, even if they have no interest in working in public accounting. I'd wager that when they take job interviews, that will be one of the questions they'll be asked, and you don't want it to look like you're backing down from the challenge.

And more than likely, they can find a public job that won't require long hours, might allow them to work from home, etc, depending on what market they're in.

Working in a CPA firm is a great training ground. They can learn about all sorts of businesses, get a lot of experience in a number of industries without switching jobs, which might lead them in a direction to go  for the rest of their career.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
A few accountants have weighed in and I will say a few words as well for fields beyond accounting.

I work in e-commerce with a focus on AI and marketing automation, and I can tell you that not necessarily just a degree but solid accounting experience is something that smart employers often look for when hiring business intelligence or analytics / big data roles because of accounting requiring numerical acumen and how that can translate in other business roles that require it. 

The other factor is that there often aren't enough good candidates to supply the demand for jobs in data science or even marketing positions that require more scientific skills, so an accounting background can be competitive there especially if paired with some easy online course completion and certificates. 

For some of this stuff there is no actual formal education at university level at this time (that I'm aware of) so this coursework and certificates, which anyone with a brain and a work ethic can do, plus an accounting background can make for a very competitive candidate.  Within e-commerce specifically, learning python which is not actually all that difficult is another way you can become a frontrunner for six-figure positions without having direct university experience to the position (IE you don't need a degree in that field).  My former coworker spent some years at KPMG, hated it, taught himself python and is now a Sr. Biz Intelligence Manager.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:37:42 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In the private sector, a MSA is a tremendous base for business management in just about any industry. Yes, you will have to start entry level and learn the industry but an MSA will open tons of doors with really unlimited potential based on your own ability and work ethic. Also, your base even at entry level, should be a great start at paying those graduate school loans off.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Thanks for your take!

To answer your question; this person will be 21 when finished with MAcc..  and don’t want to put the time required to prepare for CPA.  I don’t blame her; graduated with BS in Accounting in 2yrs.
Chances are this person wants a break from testing and will be content with an MAcc

Thanks to all for your encouraging take.  I knew I could count on Celtics nation for a good sound take.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 08:07:21 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Thanks for your take!

To answer your question; this person will be 21 when finished with MAcc..  and don’t want to put the time required to prepare for CPA.  I don’t blame her; graduated with BS in Accounting in 2yrs.
Chances are this person wants a break from testing and will be content with an MAcc

Thanks to all for your encouraging take.  I knew I could count on Celtics nation for a good sound take.

Isn’t the MAcc the program designed for those planning to sit for the CPA exams?  Anyway, I’ll say what I tell all staff that start out.  If you’re planning to sit for the exams, start right away.  There’s never going to be a time, whether in your life or in your profession, when you’re less busy.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I will say get the CPA why do the MAcc if you are not going to get the CPA might as well have just gone for MBA or Masters in Finance.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It depends on what other experience they have, what industry they are going in, but there's a tremendous amount of potential ahead of them. 

That said, there's no reason not to attempt a CPA in the future.  It will only help. 

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thanks for your take!

Isn’t the MAcc the program designed for those planning to sit for the CPA exams?  Anyway, I’ll say what I tell all staff that start out.  If you’re planning to sit for the exams, start right away.  There’s never going to be a time, whether in your life or in your profession, when you’re less busy.

Spot on.