Author Topic: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades  (Read 61666 times)

Re: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
like all change it will take some getting used to

but I think it will grow on the majority of you

cheers
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Hopefully I will get used to it.  But at first, it has the feel more of a blog that I'm supposed to read rather than a blog I'm supposed to be a part of.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
there's also a welcome post and video that also includes Frequently Asked Questions here:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/9/24/3394219/welcome-to-sb-nation-united
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
The only thing I don't like is that the Latest Forum Topics tab isn't on the right side on the main page anymore, though that really doesn't matter once you access the forums.

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
From a design point of view I think the front page is just too big overall, but I know thats an SBNation across the board choice. It's pretty overwhelming at first, perhaps I will just get used to it but right now it actually appears to be harder to find information.

Are the forums staying with this format?

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hopefully I will get used to it.  But at first, it has the feel more of a blog that I'm supposed to read rather than a blog I'm supposed to be a part of.
I think that's a pretty good description.  liked the old format (before the forums change),

will need to get used to it because there's apparently no going back.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

cheers

Doubt it, for me this blog has always been about it's streamlined interface and how i can look at a glance and see the latest posts.

Now im bombarded with a huge amount of screen clutter, the interface is clunky as hell too. Where before it was one click to get where you were going, you now have to find your drop down, expand it, and find what you were looking for.

I feel like this is just like the gawker update. Everyone hates it, but everyone is going to keep visiting/clicking on the gawker site, so despite almost universal disappointment, the website points to "same numbers, you guys are the loud minority who hates change" When in reality, the fact is that I'm going to keep visiting and dealing with the horrid new interface because lets face it, I love CB. 
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I like it.  I think it looks more professional.  Well done.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

At some point, the look of the forums will change to be more consistent with the "SBN United" header.  The functionality will stay the same, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

At some point, the look of the forums will change to be more consistent with the "SBN United" header.  The functionality will stay the same, though.

Thats unfortunate. I fail to see why the forums need to change, are they to efficient and easy to use?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

cheers
Yeah. They say man is not an animal, so they'll adjust to anything. But that's not the point.

I'm sorry, but this front page is just a textbook display of "How not to build webpages 101". Where do I start...

* Horrible use of space; there are huge and unnecessary "dead spots", which don't help with readability and make the entire page look "untidy", if you wish.
* Horrible vertical spacing; gigantic blank spots on the side while having to do major scrolldown for half of the content;
* Unintuitive location of "shortcut" menus; if you have to scroll 50%+ of the page to get to a quick link menu, this kind of defeats the quick menu purpose to begin with.

I could gripe about the forum topics shortcut (I loved the feature), but I acknowledge that this is CB-only feature, so I'm not surprised the design has no real use for it.

In summary, this looks like something I could have designed on a weekend... when I was a freshman in college. It's a serious step back in all aspects. And it's probably even worse than the site we had back in 2004 when I started using CB on a regular basis.

Sorry Jeff, I know it's not your fault, but this piece of garbage is just indefensible (DISCLAIMER: I have a suspicion that the site may not be rendering correctly at the office machine, so I'll take a second look; but even if that's the case, it's disappointing we're served a half-baked product).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
like the new one, old ones kinda getting old.

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thats unfortunate. I fail to see why the forums need to change, are they to efficient and easy to use?

Ha.  I can't comment, because I don't know exactly what is being proposed yet.  I assume it's just making the header / logo / overall look more integrated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
One thing to note is that the look of the front page isn't going to stay static; there are a ton of different layouts that this software enables.

Take a look around the SBN network for some of the other examples.  www.StanleyCupOfChowder.com looks different today, for instance, than www.PatsPulpit.com.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
One thing to note is that the look of the front page isn't going to stay static; there are a ton of different layouts that this software enables.

Take a look around the SBN network for some of the other examples.  www.StanleyCupOfChowder.com looks different today, for instance, than www.PatsPulpit.com.

I'll have to go to them with different browsers, on Firefox it takes forever to load, and that huge "SB NATION!!!" graphic really slows it down. I still get as someone above said, a large amount of dead space and just awful layout on articles, I essentially have to wait for the huge background SB nation logo to load, then for a bunch of clutter to be overlayed on top, then scroll down and play find the article i actually wanted to see.

Just seems like a inefficient interface design. It seems to be based on: "look how much info i can throw at you at once!" rather than simple functionality.