Author Topic: NBA First Team: Tatum or Edwards?  (Read 5543 times)

NBA First Team: Tatum or Edwards?
« on: April 02, 2024, 10:24:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I read an article in the Athletic from three voters for the All-NBA teams, and it seems like they all either had Tatum as last man on / first man off their All-NBA First Team, with Anthony Edwards being the primary competition.

I personally don't see this as a debate.  I think Tatum has been better, and he's on a better team.  He deserves the recognition.

Basic stats:

Tatum:  27.2 points, 8.3 rebounds, 4.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.6 blocks, 47.4% FG%, 38.0% 3PT%, .555 eFG%, 2.6 turnovers

Edwards:  26.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.3 steals, 0.6 blocks, 46.3% FG%, 36.3% 3PT%, .524 eFG%, 3.1 turnovers

Tatum also leads in advanced metrics like VORP and BPM (neither of which I'm a huge fan of, but whatever), along with WS, WS/48, and PER (ditto).  Tatum has a lower usage. 

So, what's the argument?  It seems like the only area Edwards is "better" is that his team has overachieved more; the Twolves have already added 9 more wins than last year, while the Celtics so far have only added two extra wins. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NBA First Team: Tatum or Edwards?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 11:03:36 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Yeah, agreed there’s no argument there. Others have also tried making the argument for Kawhi, but I feel the same way about him.

KD has an interesting case given his efficiency, but his team’s struggles - especially in the fourth - don’t help his case at all.

I think Tatum ends up getting it, deservedly.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 11:16:20 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think it's interesting that while Tatum's numbers have taken a slight dip this season from last, I don't think anybody would say he's regressed (especially since the C's are winning more).  Yet he's an Embiid injury away from not even being in the 1st team conversation.  Not completely unexpected though with the rule changes and All-NBA going positionless, still interesting though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 11:29:44 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think that because Edwards' team underachieved last year that they are necessarily overachieving this year. Also, the Celtics aren't just in 1st, they are currently lapping the field in terms of wins/losses - that has to count for something. Even coming into the year, many people had the Celtics behind the Bucks.

I really don't think it's even close. I'm not saying Edwards will never surpass Tatum, but not this year. They already ripped off one of KP/White to force Barnes onto the All-Star team. Let these guys get their accolades when they earn them, not in anticipation of it happening.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 11:32:06 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My choices:

1st team
Luka Doncic
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

2nd team
Jalen Brunson
Tyrese Haliburton
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis

3rd team
Stephen Curry
Anthony Edwards
Paul George
Kevin Durant
Domantas Sabonis

Close: Derrick White, Devin Booker and Rudy Gobert

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My choices:

1st team
Luka Doncic
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

2nd team
Jalen Brunson
Tyrese Haliburton
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis

3rd team
Stephen Curry
Anthony Edwards
Paul George
Kevin Durant
Domantas Sabonis

Why Haliburton over Edwards?  Since the All-Star game he's been a 17-4-10 guy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
My choices:

1st team
Luka Doncic
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

2nd team
Jalen Brunson
Tyrese Haliburton
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis

3rd team
Stephen Curry
Anthony Edwards
Paul George
Kevin Durant
Domantas Sabonis

How do the lakers have two all nba second team guys as a 9 seed in the west? They have both been healthy all year. Would have to imagine a 9 seed has not had two guys make one of the first two teams in history of NBA.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 12:49:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I have both on my fantasy team and from a stats standpoint, Tatum is a better talent. What Antman has going for him is that there’s no real negative narrative around him (no Finals/ECF losses, no blowing big leads narrative, no losing-against-Nuggets narrative).

It’s all narrative driven. Edwards is a deserving 2nd or 3rd teamer but no way does he beat out JT
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:53:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
My choices:

1st team
Luka Doncic
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

2nd team
Jalen Brunson
Tyrese Haliburton
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis

3rd team
Stephen Curry
Anthony Edwards
Paul George
Kevin Durant
Domantas Sabonis

Are you just trying to be edgy? Not only do you not have Brown on any of your teams, but you put Derrick White over him in the 'close' column. The Celtics with their record definitely deserve two All-NBA players and, like it or not, that 2nd guy is unequivocally Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 01:19:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
I can't imagine there is any real discussion on anyone other than Luka, SGA, Tatum, Giannis, and Jokic as the 1st team.  May be the easiest decision ever.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
My only take on all-nba is I would be very, very surprised if Tatum is not first team and Brown doesn't make 3rd team. Boston is going to end up with around 64-65 wins, and that usually gets you two all-nba guys. Kristaps isn't eligible, Brown will make it.

There's been a lot of discussion on the fifth first team spot, a lot of people seem not be sold on Tatum as being on that level. But ultimately there's no obvious alternative and again, 60+ wins is a good tie breaker.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 01:29:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I can't imagine there is any real discussion on anyone other than Luka, SGA, Tatum, Giannis, and Jokic as the 1st team.  May be the easiest decision ever.

What is "real discussion"?  as mentioned, actual voters are leaving Tatum off of their ballot, or saying that it's razor thin right now.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If luka makes it and JT does not then the award is meaningless.  Luka only plays half the game.  He is one of the biggest liabilities on the defensive end in the league, certainly the worst among the top 20 or 30 players.  He'd be on my 3rd team most likely.  Curry on my second or third team simply due to his top of the league shooting ability every year, even though he is another one with pretty poor defense. 

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My choices:

1st team
Luka Doncic
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

2nd team
Jalen Brunson
Tyrese Haliburton
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis

3rd team
Stephen Curry
Anthony Edwards
Paul George
Kevin Durant
Domantas Sabonis

Why Haliburton over Edwards?  Since the All-Star game he's been a 17-4-10 guy.

That was a close call. Before the All Star break Haliburton was phenomenal. Afterwards Edwards has been better.

How do the lakers have two all nba second team guys as a 9 seed in the west? They have both been healthy all year. Would have to imagine a 9 seed has not had two guys make one of the first two teams in history of NBA.

Davis and James are still really good. Their supporting cast is not however.

Are you just trying to be edgy? Not only do you not have Brown on any of your teams, but you put Derrick White over him in the 'close' column. The Celtics with their record definitely deserve two All-NBA players and, like it or not, that 2nd guy is unequivocally Jaylen Brown.

To me this season Brown is clearly the better scorer of the two, while White is the better player. That's a difference. Porzingis is non-eligible, but he's also swimming in there somewhere. One could easily argue that Porzingis is the best scorer and the best player of all three.

I don't want to assign awards and selections primarily based on "record". In that way you could advocate for Tatum to receive the MVP-award as the best player on the team with by far the best record. That would be "logical". But it would be unfair to Jokic and Doncic (and SGA and Giannis) who have been much better.

But a funny exercise to create the All NBA teams based on records. Boston gets 3 (Tatum, White, Brown). OKC (SGA, Holmgren), Denver (Jokic, Gordon), M'sota 2 (Edwards, Gobert). Milwaukee (Antetokounmpo), Clippers (Leonard) 1. And four players from teams with 40-45 wins, with a maximum of one per team: Dallas (Doncic), New York (Brunson), Phoenix (Durant), Indiana (Haliburton).

First team: SGA/Doncic/Tatum/Antetokounmpo/Jokic
Second team: Brunson/Edwards/Leonard/Durant/Gobert
Third team: Haliburton/White/Brown/Gordon/Holmgren

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 08:13:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

What is "real discussion"?  as mentioned, actual voters are leaving Tatum off of their ballot, or saying that it's razor thin right now.
I think it is more talking points at this point of the season.  I mean if you are trying to discuss the All NBA teams it is pretty boring without adding in some intrigue or controversy. At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if more than a few people had anyone other than those 5.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip